Let's go thrift shopping together!

Let's go thrift shopping together!

November 2nd, 2011, 2:00 pm #1

Since we can't do this literally, let's do a cybershop together. Please post your latest about Adventures in Thrifting. Here is mine:

Beautiful fall day yesterday, had to pass 3 thrift stores on way home, had the time. I first stopped at Idaho Youth Ranch. They seem to have done some rearranging...or cleaning...or something, and it was very enjoyable, but nothing called my name. Next I stopped at Goodwill. It is BIG--housed in an old supermarket, and they have completely cleaned and rearranged it. I can't even imagine how much work that was!! I found a water glass in a pattern I'm always looking for and a Pyrex custard cup (I knocked the nested cups out of the cupboard awhile ago and broke 5 of the 8). Big find: a really nice all-wood desk for $35! Just the right size, too. The only one I've found in two years of looking that I would have in my house. Bought it, of course! At Hospice, I scanned the store and zeroed in on Christmas decorations. I bought a box of red ornaments and a box of 4 fancy red and gold ornaments, new with tags and marked $9.99. I also got two packages of tiny red and gold ornaments for the top branches. Total cost: $3.18 including tax. I don't decorate a lot for Christmas, but we will be having a tree at the cabin.

So, tell us about your most recent shopping expeditions!

November 2nd, 2011, 2:35 pm #2

"My anger management classes are pissing me off"... And assorted superhero t-shirts for DS#1. And costume bits for DS#2

November 2nd, 2011, 4:05 pm #3

Since we can't do this literally, let's do a cybershop together. Please post your latest about Adventures in Thrifting. Here is mine:

Beautiful fall day yesterday, had to pass 3 thrift stores on way home, had the time. I first stopped at Idaho Youth Ranch. They seem to have done some rearranging...or cleaning...or something, and it was very enjoyable, but nothing called my name. Next I stopped at Goodwill. It is BIG--housed in an old supermarket, and they have completely cleaned and rearranged it. I can't even imagine how much work that was!! I found a water glass in a pattern I'm always looking for and a Pyrex custard cup (I knocked the nested cups out of the cupboard awhile ago and broke 5 of the 8). Big find: a really nice all-wood desk for $35! Just the right size, too. The only one I've found in two years of looking that I would have in my house. Bought it, of course! At Hospice, I scanned the store and zeroed in on Christmas decorations. I bought a box of red ornaments and a box of 4 fancy red and gold ornaments, new with tags and marked $9.99. I also got two packages of tiny red and gold ornaments for the top branches. Total cost: $3.18 including tax. I don't decorate a lot for Christmas, but we will be having a tree at the cabin.

I may have already mentioned this, but I got three pairs of Lucky Brand Jeans at the thrift store recently. I LOVE them and they are about $100 at Macys, so you can imagine that they wouldn't find their way into my life any other way!

I also purchased some Nike Training pants that are velour and just, well, heavenly. I would wear them every day if I could.

This is not a recent purchase, but it finally had it's "day". DH is an Ohio State University Alumnus and last year at the thrift store I found an Ohio State cheerleader uniform for Adele. She went as a Buckeye Cheerleader for Halloween.

Wanna see? http://youtu.be/v-p1jxknY_o

Paula

November 2nd, 2011, 4:19 pm #4

I got a pair of beige suede Fitflops in my size for £3.99. They had been worn before as there were marks on the sole, but can't have been more than once or twice. They are £80 new - and SO comfortable

Love the video Paula

November 2nd, 2011, 5:25 pm #5

I may have already mentioned this, but I got three pairs of Lucky Brand Jeans at the thrift store recently. I LOVE them and they are about $100 at Macys, so you can imagine that they wouldn't find their way into my life any other way!

I also purchased some Nike Training pants that are velour and just, well, heavenly. I would wear them every day if I could.

This is not a recent purchase, but it finally had it's "day". DH is an Ohio State University Alumnus and last year at the thrift store I found an Ohio State cheerleader uniform for Adele. She went as a Buckeye Cheerleader for Halloween.

Paula
Yea...OHIO!!! You have a cute little Buckeye cheerleader.
Last edited by Linda_OH on November 2nd, 2011, 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 2nd, 2011, 6:27 pm #6

Paula
A future Buckeye?

November 2nd, 2011, 6:35 pm #7

She's never leaving Colorado if I can help it.

I need to get her hooked on skiing to ensure that she'll never want to leave. LOL!

November 2nd, 2011, 7:14 pm #8

Paula
Your kids are so cute.

Recent finds:
fireman costume for Drake, $1
Winter coat for Lyla, 25 cents
black work pants for Ayla, 50 cents
tee shirt with an eagle on it for Allen, 50 cents
plastic measuring cups, 10 cents (to keep in canisters so I don't have to go get my metal ones every time)
several books, 10 cents each
giant Happy Feet penguin, Christmas present for Ayla who is obsessed with penguins, $2

I think there's more but I can't think of anything right now.

November 2nd, 2011, 11:46 pm #9

She's never leaving Colorado if I can help it.

I need to get her hooked on skiing to ensure that she'll never want to leave. LOL!
nt

November 2nd, 2011, 11:48 pm #10

Today I was a few minutes early for pinochle and had to drive right past St. Vinnie's... I found 2 apple dishes. I thought I had enough, but I changed my mind when I saw these--today was half-price day!!