Let's brainstorm how this could be happening

Let's brainstorm how this could be happening

August 21st, 2012, 5:09 am #1

I am not computer saavy. I know very little about how internet forums operate, including this one. So...here's my question.

I checked the daily stats (which I've been doing for a few days) and saw that we had 2,815 page views, or hits, by 10 p.m. today. To my knowledge, this is an all-time high for us. However, 972 of those came from Israel, and 695 were N/A, meaning the countries weren't listed. There were 183 unique visitors.

It's Israel and N/A that have me confused. I don't ever recall seeing Israel in the stats. We do normally have a few N/As, but not 695. Maybe 1/10 that many, at most.

We also have the usual glut of countries represented with one hit each. We get a half a dozen or more of them every day. I have often thought those were folks with software that were trying to extract personal information from the board. I don't know this, but I think it.

But why so many hits from Israel and Not Applicable? Any idea what is going on?

August 21st, 2012, 5:35 am #2

The counter that clocks up the number tally?

August 21st, 2012, 6:30 am #3

I am not computer saavy. I know very little about how internet forums operate, including this one. So...here's my question.

I checked the daily stats (which I've been doing for a few days) and saw that we had 2,815 page views, or hits, by 10 p.m. today. To my knowledge, this is an all-time high for us. However, 972 of those came from Israel, and 695 were N/A, meaning the countries weren't listed. There were 183 unique visitors.

It's Israel and N/A that have me confused. I don't ever recall seeing Israel in the stats. We do normally have a few N/As, but not 695. Maybe 1/10 that many, at most.

We also have the usual glut of countries represented with one hit each. We get a half a dozen or more of them every day. I have often thought those were folks with software that were trying to extract personal information from the board. I don't know this, but I think it.

Can you put another tracking software on there too, like sitemeter, just to verify? Is there a place for moderators of these forums to ask questions like these?

Sometimes I get a surge of references from odd places, like Egypt, and I can't figure out why.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

August 21st, 2012, 11:01 am #4

I know VERY little about computers. I would ask Net 54 or on the forum for list owners.

August 21st, 2012, 12:02 pm #5

there is a key word they are searching for that someone used here... anybody been talking politics or guns lately?

August 22nd, 2012, 4:35 pm #6

using proxy servers set up abroad in contries with lax-er pirateing laws?

terrorists looking for keywords and intel, likely trolling all of Net54 and every other social forum they can get into without credentials.

(replace the word terrorists with KGB, CIA, Interpol, Gestapo ...)

nah - i don't have many conspiracy theory friends..... LOL!

August 22nd, 2012, 4:48 pm #7

But why so many hits? We got a lot yesterday, too...don't know about today. I always thought that accounted for the single hits we get every day from the Russian Federation, Moldova, Ghana, etc. etc. etc.

August 22nd, 2012, 7:12 pm #8

Are they finding us through a google search? Do you get to see how they got here?

------

August 22nd, 2012, 7:26 pm #9

But why so many hits? We got a lot yesterday, too...don't know about today. I always thought that accounted for the single hits we get every day from the Russian Federation, Moldova, Ghana, etc. etc. etc.
is configured to refresh at a specified interval.

for instance if they're trolling 600 sites and can handle 1200 hits a minute every site would get a new hit every 30 seconds. that'd be 2880 hits per site in a 24 hour period

August 23rd, 2012, 12:12 am #10

Are they finding us through a google search? Do you get to see how they got here?

------
You know how bloggers know where their links come from? (at least I assume they do). I don't have access to any of that information that I know of. I know how many hits in a 24 hour period, and to some extent, in what countries they originated, but other than that, the only identifying info I have is if someone posts. Then I can find out their IP address.

ETA--Today we have had 2,360 hits...so far. 685 are from Israel and 488 are Not Applicable. The number of N/As is about 10X the usual number and, as I said earlier, I've never noticed Israel until this week.
Last edited by MaxineS on August 23rd, 2012, 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.