Let's all share a frugal tip

Let's all share a frugal tip

March 18th, 2012, 3:12 pm #1

I got one from Gail's book- when you really don't have ANY extra money commit to save the savings. When you get a bill that is less money or you save on something that you would normally buy - you save the difference in a jar at home. When you get to $25 you use it to start your savings or emergency fund.

The idea is to begin saving and keep saving. That just really struck a cord with me.

And something from me- I am going to start playing the lottery every week. I am going to put $10/ week (or maybe per pay period for right now) into a separate savings account. When I am able to get income tax refunds, etc. again I will have them go automatically into that account, too. Then at some point in the future I am going to win the lottery. I am pretty excited about it

March 18th, 2012, 3:35 pm #2

Did you see the Primetime story about store clerks telling people they hadn't won and then the clerks claimed the money?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 18th, 2012, 4:29 pm #3

I got one from Gail's book- when you really don't have ANY extra money commit to save the savings. When you get a bill that is less money or you save on something that you would normally buy - you save the difference in a jar at home. When you get to $25 you use it to start your savings or emergency fund.

The idea is to begin saving and keep saving. That just really struck a cord with me.

And something from me- I am going to start playing the lottery every week. I am going to put $10/ week (or maybe per pay period for right now) into a separate savings account. When I am able to get income tax refunds, etc. again I will have them go automatically into that account, too. Then at some point in the future I am going to win the lottery. I am pretty excited about it

if you qualify. I read this in some book(can't remember what book) and had never done them because I usually ended up with a piddly amount. The book made a point that you should receive all money that comes your way, even small amounts. So I started filling them out, even though I think they are more a benefit to lawyers than the anyone else. I have one to fill out now but can't find my receipts so will get the minimum amount.

Kim I do that, save all coupon money and savings on items I would have bought. The one that makes me the most is one of my rx has a discount card that saves me $35 every month. This money goes into an account that I use for items in my budget that aren't needs. Like internet(I pay by the year) and will be used when I have to buy a new computer. Last year I paid for internet, virus program, printer ink, and a new office chair.

I also add money when someone pays me back, like I paid for some flowers for a funeral last month and set aside the paid back amount. I do this because the money is already spent so I don't miss it. And I save change, I just cashed about a years worth of change and used it to fix an area in my yard and buy my veggie plants for the garden.

March 18th, 2012, 4:30 pm #4

Did you see the Primetime story about store clerks telling people they hadn't won and then the clerks claimed the money?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

March 18th, 2012, 9:40 pm #5

I know this is an old one but I was reminded of it today when I deleted an e-mail from kohls that had a $10 off $10 in store coupon. One problem is I don't live close to a kohls plus there is nothing I really need. One reason I've been spending so much time de-cluttering, I already have lots of stuff.

Though the last time I had one of these I stopped as I was driving to somewhere else and picked up something under $10, which made it free. Kind of fun but really I don't need anything, even free stuff.

March 18th, 2012, 11:51 pm #6

for those Kohl's $10 coupons? I used them to get $10 worth of Ghirardelli. There's one only a mile from me.

March 19th, 2012, 10:15 am #7

I think the way is to never use the coupons.

I signed up for their e-mail because of buying a wedding gift, then the e-mails started coming. The last one I used was because they had remodeled the store. I must have received around 10 coupons before I used one, then they stopped coming. I'm sure I would have used these but the store is about 20 miles from me and I only go that way once a month or so. And never when I have a coupon, this last one was only good for 2 days.

March 19th, 2012, 3:18 pm #8

Read all you can whether on internet or in books, it's interesting what others are doing and keeps you in the mindset!

March 19th, 2012, 5:42 pm #9

if you qualify. I read this in some book(can't remember what book) and had never done them because I usually ended up with a piddly amount. The book made a point that you should receive all money that comes your way, even small amounts. So I started filling them out, even though I think they are more a benefit to lawyers than the anyone else. I have one to fill out now but can't find my receipts so will get the minimum amount.

Kim I do that, save all coupon money and savings on items I would have bought. The one that makes me the most is one of my rx has a discount card that saves me $35 every month. This money goes into an account that I use for items in my budget that aren't needs. Like internet(I pay by the year) and will be used when I have to buy a new computer. Last year I paid for internet, virus program, printer ink, and a new office chair.

I also add money when someone pays me back, like I paid for some flowers for a funeral last month and set aside the paid back amount. I do this because the money is already spent so I don't miss it. And I save change, I just cashed about a years worth of change and used it to fix an area in my yard and buy my veggie plants for the garden.
It said on the post card $2 or $2.90 but that is per month! They were claiming to give higher speeds on DSL than they were really providing. Don't know if this is just in CT or what... I filled it out and I am pretty sure I should be entitled to about 43 months worth....

March 19th, 2012, 5:44 pm #10

when you get your home insurance or car insurance bill- call around and compare prices. Do not just assume that because they had the best price a year or so ago, that they still do... the insurance market fluctuates a lot!

My other tip is "wait 30 days" from the time you decide you want or need something. Amazing how often you can find it free or cheaper....