Kitchen tips

Kitchen tips

May 11th, 2012, 1:00 am #1

Let's post kitchen tips. Here's mine--

Cut the core out of head lettuce with a plastic knife (even a disposable picnic knife will do). The lettuce won't turn brown as fast if you use plastic. For really crisp lettuce, remove the core and run cold water through the lettuce. Shake as much water out of the lettuce as you can. Wrap in a dishtowel and put in the fridge for a day. Then remove the dishtowel and store the lettuce in a plastic bag. You can put a folded paper towel or cloth in the bottom of the bag to absorb water that may still be in the lettuce.

May 11th, 2012, 2:50 am #2

just whack the head of lettuce core side down hard on a counter and pick the core out.

May 11th, 2012, 3:10 am #3

...with mixed success. (It might depend on the type of lettuce??--don't know). Lately I've been having better luck with the knife, which is just plastic cutlery, like forks and spoons. Not one of those big ones. Nothing I had to buy--always seem to have some floating around here. Whacking is a good tip, though.

May 11th, 2012, 11:10 am #4

Cut the core out of head lettuce with a plastic knife (even a disposable picnic knife will do). The lettuce won't turn brown as fast if you use plastic. For really crisp lettuce, remove the core and run cold water through the lettuce. Shake as much water out of the lettuce as you can. Wrap in a dishtowel and put in the fridge for a day. Then remove the dishtowel and store the lettuce in a plastic bag. You can put a folded paper towel or cloth in the bottom of the bag to absorb water that may still be in the lettuce.
Use a plastic knife to cut brownies or bar cookies. The don't stick to this kind of knife and they cut much easier,especially if they are gooey.

Tammy

May 11th, 2012, 11:40 am #5

look around and think about what else you can wash with it. If you're the rinse-then-wash type, so that there isn't a bunch of gunk floating around in your sudsy water, washing something else with it before you let out the water. My grandmother did this with every washload of dishes, so three times a day at least! Clean out one drawer. Wipe down the kitchen cabinets. Take apart a light fixture and wash the globes. Wash one of the things on top of the cabinets. I tend to look up at the top of the cabinets and think "I don't have time to wash all that crap up there" and so it never gets done. But you can do just one thing, you know? If you use your dishwater to wash just one extra thing every time you have dishwater, think about how many things that would be in a day? A week? A month? (I need to take my own advice here!)

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

May 11th, 2012, 1:25 pm #6

...with mixed success. (It might depend on the type of lettuce??--don't know). Lately I've been having better luck with the knife, which is just plastic cutlery, like forks and spoons. Not one of those big ones. Nothing I had to buy--always seem to have some floating around here. Whacking is a good tip, though.
If it's a good, tight and heavy head, it'll work well. If it's a loosey-goosey one, it doesn't work as well. Of course, you gotta hit the end flat on. If you hit it too much at an angle, you end up splitting the core. If the end of the core stem is not fairly flat, I trimmed it flat before whacking (when I bought iceberg lettuce - I don't anymore).
LisaCNC

May 11th, 2012, 3:17 pm #7

Mangos were 3/$1 last week, so I bought about 10 of them! I found this video on you tube and it really works!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvLdPjpELyU

May 11th, 2012, 3:38 pm #8

I should have realized a good frugalista wouldn't buy a special plastic knife even in a thrift store (slaps palm to forehead)....

May 11th, 2012, 4:37 pm #9

I have a plastic cake server with a serrated edge on one side. It came with a decorated cake from Albertsons, and it doesn't tear up the decorations when you cut through them. Very handy item. I don't recall how I got it because I've never bought a decorated cake from Albertsons!

Lisa may be right about whacking not working so well on loose heads of lettuce. It doesn't work well on butter lettuce, although it usually does fine on firm heads of iceberg (I actually prefer looser heads, which may be why it didn't always work for me).

May 11th, 2012, 5:01 pm #10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnBF6bv4 ... r_embedded