karen's annual budget 2011, please comment

karen's annual budget 2011, please comment

January 3rd, 2012, 2:34 pm #1

it has been about the same the last few years, but a few years ago it jumped drastically from about $3,000 to over $4,000 per month.

it is a struggle for me as we really like the recreation stuff, some of the other categories are quite low, like the cost to own the house, the food seems to get higher and higher, partly because the kid finally started eating, partly inflation, and partly the WW emphasis on fruits and veg, i swear I spend $80 a month on apples alone. oh, and probably another $50 on coffee. the food budget is only food, coffee, 3.2 beer from the grocery store.

note I have no mortgage or car payments.

please offer advice on trimming it without fighting with dh!

monthly budget

misc. kid costs. 100
auto, incl. gas/service/ins. 525
eat out 115
groceries incl. above 560
health insurance/health care 700
pocket cash 200
recreation, includes ski passes, internet, all misc. recreation, cable tv, gym. 440
dh who know on what 325
travel, incl. family visits 400
property taxes and utilities incl. phone 385
household stuff, yard, holidays, garden, shampoo, clothing, etc. 260
(like everything from walmart not food)

total spend per month 2011 $4,075

help and advice please!

January 3rd, 2012, 2:52 pm #2

Is this a united front, or is it just you? If it is just you trying to cut, you'll never be successful. How do I know? My DH went shopping with DS yesterday and came home from Best Buy with a wi-fi gadget for our TV that cost $60 and we'll never "need" or even "want" for several months to a year.... But, I digress.

You can cut one meal per month of eating out and probably not notice. The trick is to plan when you want to eat out and not go just because you don't feel like cooking. The biggie, though, is pocket cash $200 and DH "who knows what on" $325. Those two areas, which you haven't defined, are over 1/8 of your monthly budget! They are the holes that need plugging.

You said you didn't want to fight with your DH, so I don't know how successful you can be at cutting.

January 3rd, 2012, 4:50 pm #3

it has been about the same the last few years, but a few years ago it jumped drastically from about $3,000 to over $4,000 per month.

it is a struggle for me as we really like the recreation stuff, some of the other categories are quite low, like the cost to own the house, the food seems to get higher and higher, partly because the kid finally started eating, partly inflation, and partly the WW emphasis on fruits and veg, i swear I spend $80 a month on apples alone. oh, and probably another $50 on coffee. the food budget is only food, coffee, 3.2 beer from the grocery store.

monthly budget

misc. kid costs. 100
eat out 115
pocket cash 200
recreation, includes ski passes, internet, all misc. recreation, cable tv, gym. 440
dh who know on what 325

help and advice please!

You are missing some categories so I couldn't say. You don't say what the income is. If you are making $3,000/ month the budgt is a problem. If you are making $6,000/ month it is probably fine!

There is nothing on the budget for savings, retirement or emergency. It may be that you have so much money that you don't have to save monthly, but that is something that I would need in my budget.

January 3rd, 2012, 4:52 pm #4

monthly budget

misc. kid costs. 100
eat out 115
pocket cash 200
dh who know on what 325

help and advice please!

Also, what ages and how many kids?
Does your travel, incl family visits include gas, or is that included in the auto?
On auto, how far do each of you commute daily?
Which section has your gift allowance?

Then I'm going to say one more thing about the spending. You have $200 on pocket cash. Is that $100 divided evenly between you & dh? Then you have $325 extra for dh.

I understand completely about the uncooperative dh. But when I did spending similar to yours, even knowing that dh was going to spend a lot more than me because he was out all day, I still resented that I was doing without to stick to my spending amount, and he would just go to the bank and get more when his ran out.

Someone here said they opened an account for their dh and put X amount in every month. I tried that too and dh just overdrew it because he used a debit card & never wrote anything down.

My solution back in the dark days was to pay the monthly bills, then write imaginary checks every month for things like savings, the monthly part of the yearly items like insurance, etc and tell dh the amount left for groceries, gas, and any other spending. THEN, he never overspent. But that won't work now because he knows we have a healthy savings account and he knows about that little trick. But he did appreciate it at the time because we never had to panic when the insurance or taxes were due.

I'm in the same boat with you Karen, and I've been trying to find a way to budget that won't make dh feel restricted, and won't make me be the keeper of receipts.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

January 3rd, 2012, 5:00 pm #5

monthly budget

misc. kid costs. 100
eat out 115
pocket cash 200
dh who know on what 325

help and advice please!

first off - how much are you looking to cut?

eating out - do you use every coupon you can find and/or restaurant.com? $115 for us would mean eating out 3-4 times/mo. $5 savings a pop = 20 bucks.

Groceries/walmart. - we do not do extreme couponing, but we do manage to save $20 - $30 a week in coupons - about an hour time investment per week to do it. We make sure never to let a CVS extra buck expire. I do all the frugal stuff - use less toothpaste than i used to, less dish detergent, cut dryer sheets in half, generic TP, use my 3 cents off customer loyalty card at the gas station, make sure my grocery trips are always at least $50 to get the 10 cent./gallon deal. If i sat down and figured it out, this stuff probably all adds up to about $30/week

DH who knows what - give him an allowance of $300 or $250 for the month. and pocket cash then better mean YOU and not shared with him!! try to cut that by $5 a week.

I had to LOL at $80 on Apples! in my house the one item i refuse to go without is bananas, no matter what they cost. DH got a Keurig for Christmas so our coffee spending will go up; but as long as he's not stopping for convienience store coffee like he used to - i'm okay with that.

Now for ME (and i know you don't want to hear it) $840/month on recreation and travel?!! HOLY SHNIIKIES!! Our annual spending for recreation/cableTV/vacations is $1500 (family of 5) so this is so far outside my realm of reality I can't even imagine what you're spending this money on!

One thing to look into - in my area, every week NEPA.com, and every radio station has different special offers, companies looking to boost business sell gift certificates for 50% off or more. Maybe some of that recreation can be had cheaper.

Can any of your wal-mart purchases be had at SalVal instead?

ETA - oh and there'd definitely be fighting with DH. balanceing the spending is NOT 100% your responsibility. I was on the other end of that - where I dumped it all on him; that arrangement works maybe for a small percentage of other people, but it sure blew up in my face! As it needs to for your DH!
Last edited by stina716 on January 3rd, 2012, 5:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2012, 5:15 pm #6

Other than Walmart I haven't seen one, and Walmart doesn't have a min. spending amount for it.

------

January 3rd, 2012, 6:53 pm #7

BJ's has discounts on gas.

Stop and Shop a grocery store has lower costs if you have their card.

Another grocery store Big Y used to have different colored coins they handed out, you could get 5 -25 cents off a gallon. I don't know if they do that anymore since I don't shop there.

January 3rd, 2012, 7:32 pm #8

You are missing some categories so I couldn't say. You don't say what the income is. If you are making $3,000/ month the budgt is a problem. If you are making $6,000/ month it is probably fine!

There is nothing on the budget for savings, retirement or emergency. It may be that you have so much money that you don't have to save monthly, but that is something that I would need in my budget.
are seperate. I get paid very randomly and savings go from that. this is just household spending. for the last two years it was a bit, couple hundred, over what was coming in, now it is under. but I always have a VERY large emerg. fund, partly because health ins. deductible is 10,000.

when the spending was over income, I started a very small business cooking like a personal chef for one family three meals a week, bringing in about 300-400 a month and that took the edge off.

long term savings also come from my random timing income. they are doing quite well at the moment and include enough to cash out 1/2 ds college, he will have to come up with the other half.

karen

January 3rd, 2012, 8:02 pm #9

Other than Walmart I haven't seen one, and Walmart doesn't have a min. spending amount for it.

------
they are all regional stores,

PRICE CHOPPER gas rewards is with Sunoco (not all of them participate) and it's 10 cents for every $50 spent and it's cumulative (i can spend $5 a day for 10 days and on day 10 get the discount - which that dime in discount expires in 90 days.)

WEIS - also 10 cents for every 50 spent BUT it has to be $50 spent in one day (cumulative over the day) If i spend $49 a day there - i'll never see the discount. they are linked with Sheetz, they have 90 day earnings periods that overlaps a 97 day redemtion period. their best sales are the week they don't give credit for the discount.

REDNERS no idea since i don't shop there - but i know they do have a gas program.
GIANT - ditto.

Turkey Hill gas station and convienience store has their own program as well as a 3 cent/gal loyalty card discount.

Sheetz has a 3 cent/gal loyalty card discount

Wal-mart is the only one that doesn't have a gas rewards program. And Sam's gas prices are the same as everyone else's anymore.

ETA - i lied - Gerrity's (8 stores) Foodtown (4 stores) MaineSource (2 stores) and the mom and pop places that only have one store don't have gas rewards programs.
Last edited by stina716 on January 3rd, 2012, 8:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 3rd, 2012, 10:45 pm #10

------
Kroger's gives you 10 cents off if you spend $100 in a month, and it's good at several different gas station chains, not just the Kroger's gas pumps.