January's challenge....day 2

January's challenge....day 2

January 2nd, 2012, 7:51 pm #1

Did I miss today's update? No spending here, by me or dh anyway. Dh's parents are still visiting and they're paying for meals and activities out. I've been sick for most of the last week and haven't cooked much at all and have gladly let them do all sorts of things without me.

Today is ds's 9th birthday. His gifts were purchased way ahead of time, and were reasonable. Three special edition/famous buildings erector sets found secondhand but brand new ($4 each, he loves to build things), a KNEX ball machine that I won from the company several years ago that I've been holding onto until he was old enough ($0), spin art refill kit ($8-too expensive IMO but my attempts to thin other misc. paint and find suitable bottles failed) and a Smithsonian grow-your-own crystal set that I bought on clearance a couple of years ago for when he was old enough ($10, and he's since asked for one so I know he'll like it). Really, way too many gifts for one kid but only $30. I'm considering saving the ball machine for next year, but the box is large and I'm getting tired of hiding and moving it.

How are you doing so far? Not many places open yesterday, so that helps!

Last edited by SandyinMI on January 2nd, 2012, 7:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 2nd, 2012, 8:19 pm #2

I failed miserably today... because the one leak I want to plug...you know the little convenience store down the road...I hit a bit ago and spent 20 dollars snacky's for the ducks game.....most of that was not needed...I think I need to put a big note up on the door..I will do better the rest of the month.

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

January 2nd, 2012, 8:20 pm #3

Did I miss today's update? No spending here, by me or dh anyway. Dh's parents are still visiting and they're paying for meals and activities out. I've been sick for most of the last week and haven't cooked much at all and have gladly let them do all sorts of things without me.

Today is ds's 9th birthday. His gifts were purchased way ahead of time, and were reasonable. Three special edition/famous buildings erector sets found secondhand but brand new ($4 each, he loves to build things), a KNEX ball machine that I won from the company several years ago that I've been holding onto until he was old enough ($0), spin art refill kit ($8-too expensive IMO but my attempts to thin other misc. paint and find suitable bottles failed) and a Smithsonian grow-your-own crystal set that I bought on clearance a couple of years ago for when he was old enough ($10, and he's since asked for one so I know he'll like it). Really, way too many gifts for one kid but only $30. I'm considering saving the ball machine for next year, but the box is large and I'm getting tired of hiding and moving it.

I had a few things I wanted to take care of via phone calls, and no one is open!

I sewed up a reusable shopping bag that was coming apart at the seams, literally. Then turned the king size duvet into a queen size duvet. Thought about going for a hike but snow is blowing around in the parking lot so just staying in today.

January 2nd, 2012, 8:46 pm #4

and have told them I'm not buying new food until they eat what is in the fridge. I did mix all the sauces together and made a spicy sweet and sour sauce with meatballs. It was pretty good. I should clean out the fridge today since I don't work until late. :-/ I'll see...

I should also clean out the cupboards and get all the food out so I can see what I'm dealing with. I'll see about that, too. Maybe after a nap!

January 2nd, 2012, 8:48 pm #5

It's been a NSD day here.... But I am very frustrated with my serger... Have not threaded it in 2 years and seem to have forgotten how to... had the book out and rethreaded it several times, still not good... not working. I will have to go to my friends house for her to bail me out again, she is a natural with this stuff- I am (SOOOO) not.... but I wanted to have it all serged by the end of today.... So my DDs quilt that I need for her for Thursday is cut and laid out but nothing has been done on it.... I am afraid I am gonna end up having to run out and buy her something. I have 3 little clearance gifts for her her but nothing "WOW".....

I did a bunch of wash today. I also decluttered some and now have another shopping bag worth for goodwill but will hold it till I have at least a kitchen garbage bag full.

Lunch was leftovers from when my BF took me out to dinner the other night. Dinner will be Chicken florentine. If I get ambitious I might make some apple crisp or baked apples with these apples that are here going soft.

I am frustrated because:
1. I am not being as productive as I want
2. I think I am getting a nasty cold
3. My budget sucks this month
and 4. I am starting to freak out aobut DDs B-day, that it won't be "good enough"....

These are all things that in the past might make me go out and spend money... but not an option with this months finanaces....

January 2nd, 2012, 9:30 pm #6

I started the first day of the new year, up at 6:30 (couldn't sleep) and trying to figure my finances for the month. And, the great news is--ta-da!--I can pay the vet bill. In full. I went through my checking account, deducted the bills and added in the deposits to be made in next 2-3 days. There isn't much left after that...and there are only two problems: My figures assume my tenants will pay their rent on time and in full. This is not necessarily a sure-fire deal, since one of them is already behind. Also, it also assumes that our former medical insurance companies will NOT "accidentally" deduct premiums in January. I'll be watching for that.

Otherwise, the month will be as tight as any I've ever experienced, but it looks like I'll make it through without robbing Peter to pay Paul. (And a good thing it is--Peter is flat busted right now). Getting this far was accomplished through a combination of living cheap and playing the CC closing date game to delay billings and spread things over two months (this is only month 1). If all goes well, I should be able to pay things off in February with a little less trouble than this.

I weighed myself the minute I got out of bed yesterday (and this morning, too). Not pretty--but it told me where I am at (not in a good place, LOL). I was STARVING all day, but I made it through Day 1 of my diet. Let me tell you, I am not thrilled by this...but I gotta do it. I worked so hard to lose weight last year...and then I shot myself in the foot. At least I didn't gain it ALL back. About half of it, to be exact.

As for spending $$$, I bought a bucket of primer and a brush for DH to paint the handrail on our stairs. Have both in Harrison, but he was in the mood, ya know? (Strike while the iron is hot). That's a leak I'd like to plug. He is getting interested in the master maintenance list. Also, I spent about $50 on groceries...no goodies or anything I didn't need or expect to buy. I followed the list 100% and saved about $5 with store and mfr. coupons.
Last edited by MaxineS on January 2nd, 2012, 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 2nd, 2012, 9:40 pm #7

made spinach/egg thing with leftover creamy? spinach (came frozen, mixed) with eggs and cheese and oh my had some cooked sausage left over to go in it too. Then used up the flour to make bread and added rye flour to come up with enough, LOL, otherwise it's a do nothing kind of day. Had thought I'd go exercise but it is not water aerobics day and I am SO tired from lack of sleep last night.

Told John I should buy a scalpel to slice the top of the bread with and he brought me his old kit from lab. Said maybe he had not used that one, who knew, so we cloroxed it then poured alcohol on the items in the kit (decided to do all of it not just the scalpels) and I'll use it next time.

Myra in West Texas

January 2nd, 2012, 9:48 pm #8

I only slashed one loaf of bread and it deflated into a puddle before my eyes. It was a combination of being over-risen and not a sharp/fast enough knife, I think. Good luck with the scalpel, that's a good idea.

January 2nd, 2012, 9:52 pm #9

My children blessed me with their cold so I haven't done much today. I did pick up the kitchen and have dinner in the oven. DH bought me some hot and sour soup. My kids are so ready to get back to school. Goal for tomorrow is to work on daycare certification paperwork and go to the fitness center.

January 2nd, 2012, 10:30 pm #10

I only slashed one loaf of bread and it deflated into a puddle before my eyes. It was a combination of being over-risen and not a sharp/fast enough knife, I think. Good luck with the scalpel, that's a good idea.
could look it up but the loaf was beautiful and the slashes worked. Does have to be sharp. I used a double sided razor this time, figured scalpel would be safer/easier.

Myra in West Texas