It's December! Updates, please!

It's December! Updates, please!

December 1st, 2010, 2:03 pm #1

I've noticed a lot of changes among us over the past couple of months, and a few longtime posters have gone MIA (mostly, not entirely). Let's update each other on what we've been up to. Lurkers, we'd love to hear from you, too!

Edited: Weather-wise, Spokane set a record for November snowfall, and more snow is on the way. There was a total of 25.9 inches of snow in November, breaking the record of 24.7 inches set in 1955. (We got about the same amount here in the Idaho panhandle). This is a "more snow than usual" La Nina year, and we always do get some snowfall in November--but not usually like this! It's hard to tell how much I've got on the ground because of drifting, but I'd estimate a foot and a half or so. We had an Arctic front come through here a week or so again and it went down below zero for a couple of days. I'm putting the flannel sheets on the bed today.

The house is coming right along. Mike and I painted the interior--still have one room to go. Still no bathrooms--the lady who runs the motel keeps #14 unlocked in case I need it, LOL. The cedar ceiling is in the living room and it is spectacular! The laminate floor is in throughout (we paid .79 sq. ft. for it). The electrician is finishing up this week. About half of my light fixtures were bought at yard sales and Habitat, a couple were given to me, and most of the rest were bought for cheap--usually REAL cheap on clearance. I got good deals on a Hotpoint gas range and Maytag refrigerator, both Consumer Reports Best Buys. The gas fireplace that's going to heat the place is going in next week. The propane tank is in. Mike is set to begin installing the kitchen cabinets, but we've been delayed a couple of days because of the snow (we can get plumbing after the kitchen is in). About the only thing we have left to buy is a water heater. They do sand and plow our street (the city snowplow is a blade on the front of a one-ton pickup). Didn't make our goal of cooking Thanksgiving dinner there, but we are close.

Mike and I have made a concerted effort (OK, I've made the effort, LOL) to expand our circle of friendships in the 4-1/2 years since he retired. This means we actually have some Christmas events on our calendar. This weekend we are going to see "White Christmas," the play, with 3 other friends. I've also been introduced around in Harrison--met half the town at the Three Old Broads Get Ready for Christmas and Three Old Broads Do it Again sales a week or two ago. Still playing pinochle every Wednesday.

StaceyK got a buddy pass from one of her airline friends and visited for a couple of days early in the month. I think I'm the only person she knows who is served by that airline, LOL. She brushed the finish on the shingle trim on the front of the house. Always good to see ya, kid! (it had been 3 years).

I've been writing a weekly piece for Food Stamps Cooking Club. It's my goal to teach everyone to cook from scratch! Then maybe they'd come to my place and cook a few meals, LOL.

That's it from me--what's new with you?

Last edited by MaxineS on December 2nd, 2010, 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

December 1st, 2010, 2:57 pm #2

Where did the rest of 2010 go?

I've been busy, working, helping with the grandgirls, trying to spend time with my hubby, and working some more. Over the last several years, my parttime 20 hour a week job has become a 40 hour a week job, I took on some responsibilities that grew, and it's definately cut into my home time. I liked my parttime job, enjoy what I'm doing at work, but missing my home time. I am hoping 2011 gets me back under 30 hours a week, but I'm not convinced it'll happen.

My kids are doing well, financially they are all staying afloat - we pay for health insurance for one who is a student and working. I feel it's necessary to keep her insured while she's in nursing school, so I pay for it. In 18 months she will be out of school, and self sufficient once again.

Grandgirls turn 5 and 7 this month, mixed in with all the rest of the Christmas festivities, December looks to be a busy month. Friday both grands are spending the night, we'll be making Christmas gifts for their Momma's, baking and decorating cookies and having hot chocolate late into the evening. Papa will help make pancakes Saturday morning, and will go to a Christmas parade Saturday evening, on Sunday after an extended family Christmas gathering, we have a birthday party.

That doesn't leave much time for being online, but I do check in regularly, even if it's just a quick read.

Thanks for the update on the house Maxine, sounds like it's coming along quite well!
glendaMO

December 1st, 2010, 3:53 pm #3

I've noticed a lot of changes among us over the past couple of months, and a few longtime posters have gone MIA (mostly, not entirely). Let's update each other on what we've been up to. Lurkers, we'd love to hear from you, too!

Edited: Weather-wise, Spokane set a record for November snowfall, and more snow is on the way. There was a total of 25.9 inches of snow in November, breaking the record of 24.7 inches set in 1955. (We got about the same amount here in the Idaho panhandle). This is a "more snow than usual" La Nina year, and we always do get some snowfall in November--but not usually like this! It's hard to tell how much I've got on the ground because of drifting, but I'd estimate a foot and a half or so. We had an Arctic front come through here a week or so again and it went down below zero for a couple of days. I'm putting the flannel sheets on the bed today.

The house is coming right along. Mike and I painted the interior--still have one room to go. Still no bathrooms--the lady who runs the motel keeps #14 unlocked in case I need it, LOL. The cedar ceiling is in the living room and it is spectacular! The laminate floor is in throughout (we paid .79 sq. ft. for it). The electrician is finishing up this week. About half of my light fixtures were bought at yard sales and Habitat, a couple were given to me, and most of the rest were bought for cheap--usually REAL cheap on clearance. I got good deals on a Hotpoint gas range and Maytag refrigerator, both Consumer Reports Best Buys. The gas fireplace that's going to heat the place is going in next week. The propane tank is in. Mike is set to begin installing the kitchen cabinets, but we've been delayed a couple of days because of the snow (we can get plumbing after the kitchen is in). About the only thing we have left to buy is a water heater. They do sand and plow our street (the city snowplow is a blade on the front of a one-ton pickup). Didn't make our goal of cooking Thanksgiving dinner there, but we are close.

Mike and I have made a concerted effort (OK, I've made the effort, LOL) to expand our circle of friendships in the 4-1/2 years since he retired. This means we actually have some Christmas events on our calendar. This weekend we are going to see "White Christmas," the play, with 3 other friends. I've also been introduced around in Harrison--met half the town at the Three Old Broads Get Ready for Christmas and Three Old Broads Do it Again sales a week or two ago. Still playing pinochle every Wednesday.

StaceyK got a buddy pass from one of her airline friends and visited for a couple of days early in the month. I think I'm the only person she knows who is served by that airline, LOL. She brushed the finish on the shingle trim on the front of the house. Always good to see ya, kid! (it had been 3 years).

I've been writing a weekly piece for Food Stamps Cooking Club. It's my goal to teach everyone to cook from scratch! Then maybe they'd come to my place and cook a few meals, LOL.

and where did you get laminate at that price?

Me.. nothing much going on. Still running off to SC to visit mom, just twice this year though so that was easier on me though not as nice for her. A month plus each time. Drove the last time in the new car. Went out to California twice! That was fun. Those were week long trips with John along.

John graduates this month but will be staying on as he plans on getting his MBA. That's good for me as it allows me to keep going off to visit mom for a month at a time.

Have not done a thing regarding the house. The car took too much of my ready cash. Still thinking about floors and what type etc. Can't decide.

Am not subbing this year. Increased my monthly income starting next month to make up for it. In August I go on Medicare. Man that is a bummer. Can ignore age except for things like that popping up. Am with AARP but that was like a joke, not an age thing as am on my 25 yo's account.

My youngest is engaged! To a girl I have known a bit over four years now. Took a year to learn her name as the first year I called her daughter and she called me mom. Little did we know....

Figured out my breathing problem this year and am much better. So now I am back to walks and biking, though not a lot of either at least I can do that now.

Did not rescue a single animal this year (cat or dog) and yes for me that is newsworthy.

Can't believe the year is nearly over.

Myra in West Texas

December 1st, 2010, 4:06 pm #4

The guy who installed the cedar ceiling also does flooring and told me of a store that had gotten a good deal on laminate, still had 1,200 sq. ft. left, and wanted to sell it baaaaad. It wasn't exactly the color (walnut) I would have picked if I were paying full price, but for .79 foot I could happily live with it. I paid for it a month ago and it was sitting in their back room.

We picked it up the Friday before Thanksgiving. Saturday night, the place burned down! He was insured and I would have eventually gotten my money back, but it would have taken awhile and I probably would not have matched that price.

If you're looking for laminate, call all the stores in town and see if they've got any they want to get rid of. Worked for me!

Congratulations on your future DIL and for not having to rescue any animals. If you find another Westie (haha) you know who to call! (although Molly might get her nose out of joint. She loves Lulu, but Lulu was here first, and they do get competitive for attention).

December 1st, 2010, 5:02 pm #5

I'm pretty much a recluse and need to take Maxine's example and get out and meet people.

I found out this fall that I had a torn ligament in my elbow, wasn't just regular tennis elbow. Began physical therapy and think I'm going to avoid surgery. PT was over last month.

My washer & dryer decided that eating clothes was more fun than washing them, so dh bought a new set in June. Recently, we took the cabinet out of the laundry area and we were going to build a big cabinet. I began taking out tile and then noticed the dishwasher was leaking. When we pulled it out, we saw that it had messed up the adjacent cabinets, taking off the finish so the cabinets were down to bare wood. I had planned on refinishing the kitchen cabinets like I did the bathroom, but not now. So I just did the two cabinets on either side of the dishwasher, and tiled under the dishwasher.

I had experimented with finishes after I finished the bathroom and found that the gel finish I used didn't hold up as well as a spar finish and had planned on using spar on the kitchen and to put a few coats on the bathroom, and this seemed like the time to put on those extra coats. I'm still doing that now.

The new dishwasher is in, and next on the list is the cabinets for the laundry room which dh & I will probably build this weekend.

Dd#2 told me that she & her boyfriend have been discussing marriage, which I knew, and that they didn't want kids. Ever. So now I'm trying to figure out how to adopt someone who wants kids. How does this sound? "Want to adopt married white male between the ages of 25-30, over 6' tall,slender build, dark hair, who loves to go hunting, fishing,..." (might as well adopt a son for dh, right?) ..."loves his wife and wants to have children soon, doesn't plan on leaving the area, is Baptist, frugal and debt free,..." (that's for me) ..."and expects no financial support."

Whatdya think? Sounds too much like a predator? lol

------
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. - Alice

December 1st, 2010, 5:20 pm #6

We started the year by burying dh's grandfather. two days later i talked to my dad for the last time, only didn't know it at the time. He died in mid feb. The day of his funeral, dh's other grandmother had a heart attack. in april we found out his Aunt has a very aggressive, very rare cancer. somewhere in there a good friend of dh's (age 37) died awaiting a bone marrow transplant. (nana got a pacemaker and is mostly ok now)

financially things somehow suck WORSE than they did a year ago, even though dh worked for 6 months of the year and has been getting unemployment since oct 1. and it's not bc of the economy. Always a work in progress. Dh will be ebaying his crap again after the first of the year.

Health wise - things are doing good. DH threw out his knee (diagnosis - fat old and lazy!) and had a breathing issue that cleared up fine with a trip to the ER and some meds. DS8 (now 9) had 4 cavities, ds4 had 2 plus two "spots". I need a root canal, but can't afford even to finance it, so i'm resolved to getting the thing pulled eventually. But overall we are Healthy and Happy; and that's really all that matters.

We took my mom and spinster sister to MIL's in DE for Thanksgiving. I didn't think mom would deal well with being somewhere that dad should have been. We have no idea what we're doing with/for her for Christmas.

During election season Dh was busy volunteering, we have pics of our youngest with the new govornor, new lt govornor, new senator, and two new congressmen in the area. I only met the gov and the two congressmen.

That's pretty much 2010 in a nutshell!

December 1st, 2010, 5:34 pm #7

I'm pretty much a recluse and need to take Maxine's example and get out and meet people.

I found out this fall that I had a torn ligament in my elbow, wasn't just regular tennis elbow. Began physical therapy and think I'm going to avoid surgery. PT was over last month.

My washer & dryer decided that eating clothes was more fun than washing them, so dh bought a new set in June. Recently, we took the cabinet out of the laundry area and we were going to build a big cabinet. I began taking out tile and then noticed the dishwasher was leaking. When we pulled it out, we saw that it had messed up the adjacent cabinets, taking off the finish so the cabinets were down to bare wood. I had planned on refinishing the kitchen cabinets like I did the bathroom, but not now. So I just did the two cabinets on either side of the dishwasher, and tiled under the dishwasher.

I had experimented with finishes after I finished the bathroom and found that the gel finish I used didn't hold up as well as a spar finish and had planned on using spar on the kitchen and to put a few coats on the bathroom, and this seemed like the time to put on those extra coats. I'm still doing that now.

The new dishwasher is in, and next on the list is the cabinets for the laundry room which dh & I will probably build this weekend.

Dd#2 told me that she & her boyfriend have been discussing marriage, which I knew, and that they didn't want kids. Ever. So now I'm trying to figure out how to adopt someone who wants kids. How does this sound? "Want to adopt married white male between the ages of 25-30, over 6' tall,slender build, dark hair, who loves to go hunting, fishing,..." (might as well adopt a son for dh, right?) ..."loves his wife and wants to have children soon, doesn't plan on leaving the area, is Baptist, frugal and debt free,..." (that's for me) ..."and expects no financial support."

------
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. - Alice
I need to either marry off DS or adopt a girl who wants to have a baby. I'll keep your ad in mind. (DS, BTW, is no longer seeing the girl he went out with this summer. Too bad. She had a 3-year-old son and I LOVE 3-year-old boys!).

December 1st, 2010, 6:19 pm #8

------
but he is not slim,LOL
the rest fits or will fit, give them a couple years.

Myra in West Texas

December 1st, 2010, 6:21 pm #9

Hello all ! I used to lurk and occasionally post on a long a go version of the group as CLO or SeattleCLO. I lost track years ago, but in a fit of nostalgia one morning I tracked it down. It is so sweet to see so many familiar names. My nostalgia was centered around my habit of making my to do list in a manner Maxine talked about forever ago . At least that's how I remember it LOL.

Our little family lives in Seattle, but we are Wisconsinites at heart. Dh, myself and our two sons 12 and 6. I'm a SAHM, although I'm actively trying to change that at least part time. We are an active sporty family. We have too many hobbies, but the quality they bring to our life and our family time is great, the expense of it?? not so much. As we are about to head off into snowboarding season X3 and a lesson( yeah Lanina ) I'm off to find some outside of the home that pays in money. I have been a very active volunteer for community and school projects and hope I can continue, but that is not paying the gym dues.

2010 news for me. I have 2 kids in school full day. I have unearthed and completed many projects and or given up and made peace with what I'm never going to do. I ran my first, definitely not last half Marathon in June while DH and my MIL ran the full version. We all had a great day. We raised four chickens from week old chicks and they are currently living in our backyard. One of them learned how to open the pet door and sometimes lets herself in when she misses me. I'm super excited about that. We were able to start backpacking again as a family and did a 5 day camp at Crater Lake National park this Summer. Dh and I fell in love with WA back packing in the mountains, so it was really great to share that with the kids. We have always done a lot of car camping and hiking with them, but backpacking feels different to me. My pants are feeling to tight this morning and it's only Dec 1. Yikes.................

Last edited by SeattleChristine on December 1st, 2010, 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 1st, 2010, 6:32 pm #10

------
I bet, someone near you would love to have a mentor, and grandparents for their children.

I might put it in the church bulletin though, and test the waters before posting it on Craigslist.
glendaMO