ISO Simple Castle Cake/cupcake design

ISO Simple Castle Cake/cupcake design

November 4th, 2010, 6:58 pm #1

I am looking for a simple design, something a novice can do - to make a castle cake or cupcakes for my granddaughter in early December. Any suggestions?
glendaMO

November 4th, 2010, 7:29 pm #2

Could you use ice cream cones (either flat-bottomed or else the pointed sugar cones) and turn them upside down for turrets?

November 4th, 2010, 7:36 pm #3

I am looking for a simple design, something a novice can do - to make a castle cake or cupcakes for my granddaughter in early December. Any suggestions?
theirs looked like a sandcastle

they used inverted sugar cones for turrets. I'll check at home tonight for the issue and we can see if it's on-line?

or if i find it - i might be able to figure out how to scan it and email it to you?? dunno if that'd work.

November 4th, 2010, 7:53 pm #4

I bumped it up from September. Getting the cakes the right shape might be the trickiest part. You could skip the moat to simplify.

November 5th, 2010, 12:19 pm #5

ya know, it never occurred to me until i borrowed a birthday cake book - to CUT the edges and tops off of cakes to make them square and flat!

the book also suggests using frosting "primer" thin out some frosting with milk, spread on, and let dry to seal in the crumbs. then the "real" fosting won't get crumb-y and goes on very easy!

and cake boards with pegs underneath to hold layers.

all seem like no-brainers - unless you've never heard of it or never seen it!

November 6th, 2010, 1:35 am #6

I wanted to make it for dd's b-day but she suddenly was out of that 'princess' phase, and ofcourse it went by too quickly.

Here's a great videolink from familyfun that I had saved -just incase...
http://familyfun.go.com/recipes/princes ... ke-686435/

November 6th, 2010, 1:52 am #7

I've been looking online, and found several designs, and ideas. Now the problem may be deciding WHICH design to do, lol. I have lots of ideas though!
glendaMO