Is there a way to quick thaw a Cornish hen?

Is there a way to quick thaw a Cornish hen?

February 14th, 2011, 11:28 pm #1

They need to be in the oven right now and are still frozen. I stuck them in the oven, unstuffed, until I learn something.

------
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. - Alice

February 15th, 2011, 12:05 am #2

Thaw them in the microwave, like a chicken, keying in a weight that's a little less than what they are. As I recall, Cornish hens typically weigh around 20 ounces, so key in 1 lb. or so. Then put in cold water to finish thawing, which shouldn't take long. The reason I said to understate the weight is that you don't want to start cooking them in the microwave...do you? You could, if you need to speed things up.

February 15th, 2011, 2:25 am #3

They need to be in the oven right now and are still frozen. I stuck them in the oven, unstuffed, until I learn something.

------
Well, I can't believe the stuff that is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter, and I can't believe that both I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and the stuff that I can't believe is not I Can't Believe It's Not Butter are both, in fact, not butter. - Alice
Did you thaw them in the microwave?

February 15th, 2011, 4:25 pm #4

Cornish hens are so small that it didn't take long. I left them in the oven for about 15 minutes and they were almost completely thawed, so I stuffed them and put them back in. They were great and dh was impressed.

------

January 22nd, 2015, 2:57 pm #5

What temperature did you have your oven at?

January 26th, 2015, 5:26 pm #6

That's what I would do now anyway.

Actually, now, I would thaw them in warm water. It's fast and doesn't cook the meat any.
Last edited by TxMarti on January 26th, 2015, 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fka Tnetter