Is anyone still doing OAMC? Great vegetarian site

Is anyone still doing OAMC? Great vegetarian site

June 7th, 2012, 2:51 pm #1

Now that I'm getting more than four hours of sleep a night, I've started thinking about stocking my freezer. The last time I had time to do OAMC, there weren't really any good vegetarian website references. I found one the other day, though. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but I plan to make some single batches over the next week or two to see how they are. She also has a lot of vegan recipes.

It's worth popping over just to take a look at how she set up her recipe "cards" for OAMC. I'm trying to figure out how to adapt them to use just the recipes I like.

http://onceamonthmom.com/menus/vegetarian/?ST=1

June 7th, 2012, 3:08 pm #2

but I think - what would I make ahead? :-/ Stuff for the wheat eaters, I guess?!

June 7th, 2012, 3:13 pm #3

She has gluten-free recipes at her site. The site is just really, really good- she has a whole gluten-free, dairy free, non-vegetarian menu for June OAMC, she has vegetarian and omnivore and vegan options...

http://onceamonthmom.com/instructions-g ... 2012-menu/

I don't generally do true OAMC (haven't since I made food for my sister's second baby, who is no almost 12) but I do bulk cooking.

June 7th, 2012, 3:37 pm #4

What don't I eat :-|

Of course I never at bacon or shellfish, but SOMETIMES I go insane, go down the the Halal market and get beef bacon. Otherwise I don't eat processed meat at all. I do eat red meat, but it is 99% in the form of pets (4-H calves) and wild meat or bison.

I eat meat, fermented dairy, non-starchy vegetables and berries (but I'm limiting those right now- just for a couple days) I eat a lot of bone broth. I eat coconut- usually just the flour coconut milk

I don't eat grains (but will HOPEFULLY go back to limited GF grains), soy, fresh dairy, nuts, seeds, beans.

This week I'm eating flax- very exciting! It is the first time in... oh... 6 months...

And I realize that I sound like a crazy person, but I started having solid bowel movements when I quit the grains, soy, nuts, seeds and beans. I am pretty sure I won't go back to soy or corn. Not for a LONG time anyway.

I have black rice in the basement, though, and I can't wait to try it! :-D Oh, my life is so small and sad! =8-(

June 7th, 2012, 4:13 pm #5

I don't eat any meat, and I'm allergic to lots and lots of delicious fruits, but so far I can still eat gluten and soy without concern. It has to be tough to eat with so many restrictions. One of my good friends has no choice but to make everything herself from scratch because she has food allergies that make her violently ill if she eats even the littlest bit of the wrong thing.

Are the berries off limits for health reasons as well? My mind is thinking it is the nuts/seeds things. That part is sad. I love raspberries and blueberries and would hate to become allergic to them- I've already had to give up so many fruits I love.

I see the challenge in your way in regards to OAMC. I have a tough enough time with my allergies and no-meat restrictions. I get by okay, though.

It seems like you're on a modified paleo diet. I couldn't do it unless I truly had no choice- the meat would wreak havoc as I haven't eaten it in 25 years....

June 7th, 2012, 9:16 pm #6

Two years ago (three years ago?) I stumbled onto GF then GF/CF then GF and vegan because it just got so that there was less and less that I could eat. Then I tried Breaking the Vicious Cycle and GAPS and that led me to paleo which brings me to now which is sugar free because of Candida and I think that has probably been the problem all along.

I was pretty strictly paleo, but had to go on antibiotics before a surgical tooth extraction and I felt fine but suddenly lost my mind with sugar and bread products. So the lack of berries are only until I stop wanting sugar so much. If I start losing weight quickly I'll probably eat them again.

I'm going to try pumpkin seeds, but call it no to almonds and flax for now. Just plain GF or even GF/CF is not that bad if you can eat everything else!

Oh and BTW- I didn't think I had a problem with soy, either, until I stopped eating it!

June 8th, 2012, 2:58 am #7

Now that I'm getting more than four hours of sleep a night, I've started thinking about stocking my freezer. The last time I had time to do OAMC, there weren't really any good vegetarian website references. I found one the other day, though. I haven't tried any of the recipes yet, but I plan to make some single batches over the next week or two to see how they are. She also has a lot of vegan recipes.

It's worth popping over just to take a look at how she set up her recipe "cards" for OAMC. I'm trying to figure out how to adapt them to use just the recipes I like.

Some of those recipes look really good.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

June 18th, 2012, 11:52 pm #8

The Bean Burritos. Dh said they were "not bad" which is his way of saying they were something he would eat again. He did ask if I would put meat in them, and I said no. Then he said, we'll they're ok for healthy type food. lol

------
The road to success is always under construction.