Iron deficient-anemia?

Iron deficient-anemia?

October 7th, 2011, 3:52 pm #1

I was just diagnosed with this yesterday.... I have been struggling with regualar anemia since my gastric bypass 5 years ago but now it is being called this and this doctor said is was bad (8.4 hemocrit? or maybe it was 8.9? ) because of the gastric bypass I don't get the benefit of oral iron supplements AND the side effects from the iron are way worse.... so she is looking into the shots for me. Anyone know anything about this? I am trying to really up my intake of iron rich foods as well. I think I may have inadvertantly made my condition worse these last few months by trying to follow a VERY frugal diet- eating a lot of pasta, potatos, rice et cetera and edging out the more iron rich foods. So right now I am thawing a pack of stew meat and am heading to aldi to buy green leafy things... Many of the things listed as good in iron are already in my freezer/pantry so i jsut need to add more of them to my diet... I am trying to replan what I eat -adding more meat, dark veggies, dark dried fruits (rasins and prunes) , sweet potatoes, beans and legumes, spinach and getting some Vitamin C stuff also to try and take with it- suppose to help the body absorb it....

After looking into this online I learned that some cereals are fortified. For a snack last night I had some kix cereal- it's fortified and for b-fast this AM I had some cream of wheat which claims to have 100% of your days requirement of this. I am not a big fan of cream of wheat and later plan to go on their website and see if there are other recipes (muffins? Pancakes? that I could make with it... I'm also trying to figure out where I can get a cheap cast iron pan as this was mentioned in one article as helping, especially when you cook meat in it...

Anyone else have any suggestions?

October 7th, 2011, 6:31 pm #2

Three weeks ago I was told my iron was extremely low. I was already taking supplements. I was told to take 325 mg of ferrous gluconate since it absorbs more easily and slowly than ferrous sulfate. Also no constipation problems. I had a heck of a time finding it around here. I have to take it twice a day. I was also told to take a Vitamin C supplement. I am also drinking orange juice every day.

Kale is another good iron filled veggie. I had blood work done because I was having wicked muscle spasms and aches for no apparent reason. I am having my period every 2-2 1/2 weeks, so I know why my iron is so low. I also have been praying to the menopause goddess asking for the gift of no more periods...lol, just kidding, but maybe I should!

October 7th, 2011, 7:44 pm #3

I was just diagnosed with this yesterday.... I have been struggling with regualar anemia since my gastric bypass 5 years ago but now it is being called this and this doctor said is was bad (8.4 hemocrit? or maybe it was 8.9? ) because of the gastric bypass I don't get the benefit of oral iron supplements AND the side effects from the iron are way worse.... so she is looking into the shots for me. Anyone know anything about this? I am trying to really up my intake of iron rich foods as well. I think I may have inadvertantly made my condition worse these last few months by trying to follow a VERY frugal diet- eating a lot of pasta, potatos, rice et cetera and edging out the more iron rich foods. So right now I am thawing a pack of stew meat and am heading to aldi to buy green leafy things... Many of the things listed as good in iron are already in my freezer/pantry so i jsut need to add more of them to my diet... I am trying to replan what I eat -adding more meat, dark veggies, dark dried fruits (rasins and prunes) , sweet potatoes, beans and legumes, spinach and getting some Vitamin C stuff also to try and take with it- suppose to help the body absorb it....

After looking into this online I learned that some cereals are fortified. For a snack last night I had some kix cereal- it's fortified and for b-fast this AM I had some cream of wheat which claims to have 100% of your days requirement of this. I am not a big fan of cream of wheat and later plan to go on their website and see if there are other recipes (muffins? Pancakes? that I could make with it... I'm also trying to figure out where I can get a cheap cast iron pan as this was mentioned in one article as helping, especially when you cook meat in it...

Near every time I have a blood test, I'm anemic and he puts me on supplements. Had a blood test Monday though and I wasn't anemic. Yay! But my cholesterol was 286. Boo! So now I'm on a new med for that.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

October 8th, 2011, 12:16 am #4

Three weeks ago I was told my iron was extremely low. I was already taking supplements. I was told to take 325 mg of ferrous gluconate since it absorbs more easily and slowly than ferrous sulfate. Also no constipation problems. I had a heck of a time finding it around here. I have to take it twice a day. I was also told to take a Vitamin C supplement. I am also drinking orange juice every day.

Kale is another good iron filled veggie. I had blood work done because I was having wicked muscle spasms and aches for no apparent reason. I am having my period every 2-2 1/2 weeks, so I know why my iron is so low. I also have been praying to the menopause goddess asking for the gift of no more periods...lol, just kidding, but maybe I should!
thanks for answering... I found some great info on the livestrong site... one suggestion was limit caffeine... I love my coffee int he Am so am trying to cut back to 2 cups a day again... good for the wallet and better for me? I also heard that cooking in cast iron, especially cooking high iron food in cast iron helps... so I bought one today... used a 20% off Bed Bath and Beyone one and got a 10 inch frying pan- pretty much all they had... I sure hope it helps...

The Dr was shocked I had not mentioned anything at my check up... but I thought that the stress and whirlwind of my last 20 months- getting seperated, moving, having middle son hospitalized for 2 weeks last year, trying to buy a condo, having it fall thru, getting divorced, buying a house, moving to it and losing my job 2 days later was causing it all : )

October 8th, 2011, 12:17 am #5

Near every time I have a blood test, I'm anemic and he puts me on supplements. Had a blood test Monday though and I wasn't anemic. Yay! But my cholesterol was 286. Boo! So now I'm on a new med for that.

------
I did all kinds of reading on line last night, about it...

October 9th, 2011, 10:41 pm #6

thanks for answering... I found some great info on the livestrong site... one suggestion was limit caffeine... I love my coffee int he Am so am trying to cut back to 2 cups a day again... good for the wallet and better for me? I also heard that cooking in cast iron, especially cooking high iron food in cast iron helps... so I bought one today... used a 20% off Bed Bath and Beyone one and got a 10 inch frying pan- pretty much all they had... I sure hope it helps...

The Dr was shocked I had not mentioned anything at my check up... but I thought that the stress and whirlwind of my last 20 months- getting seperated, moving, having middle son hospitalized for 2 weeks last year, trying to buy a condo, having it fall thru, getting divorced, buying a house, moving to it and losing my job 2 days later was causing it all : )
Liver is supposed to be good for iron. Don't know if it's all liver or just beef liver.
LisaCNC

October 9th, 2011, 11:37 pm #7

------
Doc will give patient a shot and have them take B-12 supplements. My DH has had this, off and on, for most of his life.

People who are lacking in iron can build it quickly by eating leafy greens, especially spinach, and Cream of Wheat, which is iron-fortified. MIL did this before a surgery.

October 10th, 2011, 9:15 am #8

after my transplant i was anemic and from the list of foods i picked those two and it boosten the level up. i used calves liver and learned that it gets tough if it is overcooked

from your post i think you'll do fine with a better diet. remember that a healthy diet is cheaper than doctor visits and lab tests!

October 10th, 2011, 10:15 pm #9

Liver is supposed to be good for iron. Don't know if it's all liver or just beef liver.
so no, I don't eat it : )

October 10th, 2011, 10:15 pm #10

Doc will give patient a shot and have them take B-12 supplements. My DH has had this, off and on, for most of his life.

People who are lacking in iron can build it quickly by eating leafy greens, especially spinach, and Cream of Wheat, which is iron-fortified. MIL did this before a surgery.
she told me to stop taking B-12....