If you use a debit card instead of credit card

If you use a debit card instead of credit card

April 12th, 2011, 1:07 am #1

Have you ever asked how your bank handles a disputed charge?

Last week I had a duplicate charge on my statement. It was after 5pm so I emailed the bank and told them it was a duplicate and I wanted to dispute it and asked how to do that since there wasn't a form on their site. They replied that I am supposed to call the store (it was Walmart) and get them to refund.

I haven't called my other banks with debit cards to see how they handle it, but I am very disappointed in this method. And I have to use the card 15 times a month to get my 4% interest.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

April 12th, 2011, 1:14 am #2

I never found anything on-line so just went to the bank and filled out a form and they refunded the money. It was Regions.

April 12th, 2011, 2:44 am #3

Last week I had a duplicate charge on my statement. It was after 5pm so I emailed the bank and told them it was a duplicate and I wanted to dispute it and asked how to do that since there wasn't a form on their site. They replied that I am supposed to call the store (it was Walmart) and get them to refund.

I haven't called my other banks with debit cards to see how they handle it, but I am very disappointed in this method. And I have to use the card 15 times a month to get my 4% interest.

------
I've had things appear to duplicate, but only had one of them actually debited - like the store runs the card twice, but only one with all the proper information.

I have heard a few horror stories, but we've used our debit cards as our primary payment source for the last 8-10 years, without having any trouble. I check my balance, and deposit/withdrawl status at least 4-5 times a week, and have never seen a double debit occur.

I do know that the duplicate charge has to actually be debited from the account before it can be disputed. I don't know if the dispute would then be with the bank or with the company who applied the debit.
glendaMO

April 12th, 2011, 3:05 am #4

With a credit card, I have just filled out a dispute form online, and that was that. After that, the item was not included in my balance for 45 days or so, and if the company couldn't prove it was legit, it dropped off permanently. That only happened to me once, so I don't know if all credit card companies are the same, but I rather doubt Walmart is going to do anything for me.

------

April 12th, 2011, 12:16 pm #5

------
i never use it as debit bc i can't remember the pin #. I'm pretty sure i have all the VISA protections that i'd have with a credit card by using it as credit.

don't i?

guess i should look into it. I've never had this issue with my debit card either.

April 12th, 2011, 2:15 pm #6

In fact, that's why I use a Visa debit instead of MasterCard, because Dave Ramsey says it is as good as a credit card. I'm about to call my other banks and find out what their policy is.

Edited to add: I just called two other banks and they have basically the same policy. Puts the onus on the account owner. Contact the company that made the mistake and try to get a refund. If that fails, open a dispute with the bank, at which time they close the account for 15 to 90 days. They send a form to the account owner to fill out, and notarize, and then send it to the company. At the end of the time, the company either credits the account or not. If not, the charge stays on the account.

Edited again to add: I just called Chase Credit card and asked if I had a credit card, how are disputes handled. He said the item is taken off the bill while it is investigated. I asked how it was investigated, did the company have to provide proof of the transaction or just deny. He didn't know.

What really bothers me about the debit card, and the bank telling me to go to the company - in this case Walmart, is that they do thousands of transactions a day and I doubt they would be willing to do any research. And how am I to prove they are wrong since I just have the one receipt - and the coincidence of the same $9.71 on the same day. This is enough to make me think twice about a tin can in the backyard.

------
Last edited by TxNet on April 12th, 2011, 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 12th, 2011, 4:31 pm #7

Visa says to the retailer - "this transaction has been disputed, prove it happened", the merchant then has 30 days to produce the slip you signed or the electronic copy of the signature linked to the transaction. if they don't - you get the credit.

every January - dh used to get inundated with hundreds of disputes (about 6% of his total transactions were being diputed) he'd hunt for the ones with the highest charges first. so every year there were folks getting $1.99 Christmas transactions reversed bc he didn't have time to find all the slips. I assume it's easier for the retailers now that use the electronic thingy that you swipe and sign. but the little guy with paper slips still has to hunt them down.

April 12th, 2011, 11:19 pm #8

Thanks for the explanation. I'm glad to know the credit card agencies don't just blow off the consumer, but hate that it makes it easier for the devious consumer to take advantage.

You're not going to believe this, but I went to Walmart, with my lone receipt, and a copy of my bank statement, and talked to the manager. He said there had been a problem that day, and I wasn't the only one with duplicate charges, and he refunded me on the spot. Wow. I so did not expect that. I still think the bank shouldn't shove it off on the customer.

------

April 13th, 2011, 12:14 am #9

I know when my daughter was working retail, she could look up transactions by looking up the information from the card used to pay for it. It was a slight PITA, but possible.

I believe that WalMart, and most other large retailers are going to be able to produce the reciept for you of the charges ran on your account, to the point that the can tell you bought Toilet paper, paper towels, and Dawn with a total of $9.71 at 914 on March 4th, and, and another reciept with a different #, that shows you bought oil and a filter for a total of $9.71 at 1215 on March 4th.

January, because everyone and their brother is going to dispute that they spent THAT much money on Christmas, by disputing it, they delay the need to pay for it, in hopes that the retailer can't prove it.
glendaMO

April 13th, 2011, 1:25 am #10

I still think I'm going to use it my 15 times and talk dh into going on the envelope system. We've never been successful at it before.

------