If you had an 'heirloom' table cloth

If you had an 'heirloom' table cloth

August 7th, 2012, 10:16 pm #1

to fit a card table... nicely hand embroidered by your late MIL (but in rather hideous colours...) what would you remake it as? I'd love to share a picture as it is not to be missed, but I don't know how!

Anyway- it can't be cushions because it is not at all the right colours for my house or really anyone living outside of the 70's.

Oh and it has a stain on it that I can't get off so it can't just be 'special' for Christmas or something. It needs to be something else.

August 7th, 2012, 10:28 pm #2

You don't have any little girls or I'd suggest doll dress. And it sounds too fancy for napkins.

Are you keeping it because dh wants you to or you feel obligated to because it's an "heirloom"? Or do you really want to keep it? We had several "heirlooms" (although I use the term loosely) that really weren't our style and they just took up space and mental energy. We and we asked if any other family members wanted them. If not, out they went, and no looking back.

August 7th, 2012, 11:40 pm #3

to fit a card table... nicely hand embroidered by your late MIL (but in rather hideous colours...) what would you remake it as? I'd love to share a picture as it is not to be missed, but I don't know how!

Anyway- it can't be cushions because it is not at all the right colours for my house or really anyone living outside of the 70's.

Oh and it has a stain on it that I can't get off so it can't just be 'special' for Christmas or something. It needs to be something else.
I've also got some tablecloths and pillow cases that are done in colors I would never use, and I've been trying to decide what to do with them too.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

August 8th, 2012, 12:10 am #4

Maybe that will inspire us. lol

------

August 8th, 2012, 2:18 am #5

August 8th, 2012, 2:38 am #6

Then just open a free account at a place like photobucket, or picasa, or any other photo hosting site. They'll provide the html code you need so you just copy & paste here. I can give you step by step instructions if you have a photo, but photobucket is pretty self-explanatory.

------

August 8th, 2012, 4:23 am #7

http://s1064.photobucket.com/albums/u367/kimwit/

I'll take a close up tomorrow so you can truly see it in it's 70's glory, but this gives you an idea

Edited to try a different link and say the internet is a weird and creepy place. In the last 8 hours 22 people wandered through and looked at my dead mil's tablecloth. If I was ambitious I would start a blog called My Dead MIL's tablecloth and chronicle how I use every little bit of it. ;-P
Last edited by KimAB on August 8th, 2012, 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2012, 5:45 am #8

I had 2 small embroidered tablecloths - not heirlooms, just some that I had from somewhere or other.Both had either stains or holes but were otherwise Ok.
I cut them up and mixed them with lightweight (shirt) denim and made a quilt - og, and added a bit of gingham in the border too

Not the best picture but you get the idea
Last edited by Pollyuk on August 8th, 2012, 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

August 8th, 2012, 12:28 pm #9

Very cute! I suggest making a table runner or napkins, working around the stains. What about a grocery shopping tote? If the colors just aren't you, as someone else suggested, offer it up to family, if you get no takers, out it goes.

August 8th, 2012, 12:34 pm #10

Pinterest has some neat ideas to transform vintage linens, check them out:

http://pinterest.com/kholford/recycled-linen-crafts/