Ideas for reunion food???

Ideas for reunion food???

March 29th, 2012, 6:06 pm #1

We are hosting a reunion for DH's cousins at our cabin. One cousin will have her RV at our house, so we will have access to another stove and a little bit of extra refrigeration. We don't have much freezer space--just what's on the top of my fridge that isn't already in use. Most of the guests will either be staying with us, some will be at the motel and MAY have a stove (depending on what unit they are in) and some will be at the city-owned RV park.

If all of the people who say they are coming actually come, we'll have quite a crowd. We need to produce food from Friday night dinner to Monday breakfast. We are not above buying pre-made stuff, except for the storage problems. Pop and beer can go in coolers--we can buy ice at the grocery store in Harrison.

Can you give me any ideas? The first that came to mind was to cook a turkey and a ham for Friday night, de-bone it, and let people make their own sandwiches for lunches. I also have a pan that's close in size to a half-sheet pan, so I can make a double recipe cake ahead, freeze it at home and let it be thawing to eat on the first day. We will probably barbecue hamburgers on Saturday night. Any more suggestions? The folks with RVs will help to the limited extent they can. Lots of hands to cook.

Edited to add--this isn't until the second weekend of August, but already I'm thinking about it when I can't get to sleep, LOL.
Last edited by MaxineS on March 29th, 2012, 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2012, 8:08 pm #2

We do this camping, so it all keeps in coolers.

You can precook the meat, or not. People can bring the fixins right from the store like cheese, shredded lettuce, etc.

This meal accommodates vegetarians, dairy-free, and gluten free.

Breakfast: Make a giant batch of pancake batter ahead of time. You could also pre-bake bacon in the oven and then reheat in a skillet. I do that for camping as well. There are some really yummy crock pot breakfast casseroles that cook overnight.

Will you have a grill? Hot dogs and hamburgers with potato salad and baked beans

Spaghetti is really easy. Maybe have a couple of different sauces?

March 29th, 2012, 8:36 pm #3

We are hosting a reunion for DH's cousins at our cabin. One cousin will have her RV at our house, so we will have access to another stove and a little bit of extra refrigeration. We don't have much freezer space--just what's on the top of my fridge that isn't already in use. Most of the guests will either be staying with us, some will be at the motel and MAY have a stove (depending on what unit they are in) and some will be at the city-owned RV park.

If all of the people who say they are coming actually come, we'll have quite a crowd. We need to produce food from Friday night dinner to Monday breakfast. We are not above buying pre-made stuff, except for the storage problems. Pop and beer can go in coolers--we can buy ice at the grocery store in Harrison.

Can you give me any ideas? The first that came to mind was to cook a turkey and a ham for Friday night, de-bone it, and let people make their own sandwiches for lunches. I also have a pan that's close in size to a half-sheet pan, so I can make a double recipe cake ahead, freeze it at home and let it be thawing to eat on the first day. We will probably barbecue hamburgers on Saturday night. Any more suggestions? The folks with RVs will help to the limited extent they can. Lots of hands to cook.

Edited to add--this isn't until the second weekend of August, but already I'm thinking about it when I can't get to sleep, LOL.
I like the taco bar idea. I've done that with about 15 people and it was a hit. I'd have a lot of lettuce on hand for people who want to do taco salads also. I like the turkey and ham sandwich idea too. I've also done a pizza bar, and people had to wait a long time for their pizzas because there were so many. Not exactly a flop, but took way more time than I wanted.

Sloppy joes and meatballs (bbq, sweet & sour, swedish, gravy) are easy to keep warm in a crockpot. Baked beans and potato salad or pasta salad are easy to make for a crowd. That's not addressing the space issue though. I can't think of anything that would feed a crowd that doesn't need refrigeration. You could cook a pork loin and have pulled pork sandwiches.

I don't know exactly how many people you're having, but a couple of really big pans of overnight french toast could be baked in an oven at the same time. Bacon could be cooked in batches in advance and kept in the fridge and reheated in the microwave right before serving. Again, you have to refrigerate all that. If I were making breakfast for a lot of people I don't see often and time was a factor I'd probably make a couple of coffee cakes for breakfast that could be baked at the same time and serve them with a bit fruit salad. At least the fruit wouldn't have to be refrigerated beforehand.

Oops, I repeated Paula's bacon idea. Sorry!
Last edited by SandyinMI on March 29th, 2012, 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

March 29th, 2012, 9:24 pm #4

Isn't there a section in the back of More for Less with big, bulk recipes?

How about chili? Lunch meat "make your own" cold cut sandwiches one day for lunch with cole slaw on the side....

How many people do you think you will be serving at a time? Do you have access to a large freezer? Like you friend at the motel? I'm thinking make stuff ahead and freeze- like the chili....

Oh- and grills? How many do you think you will have access to? One night I would marinate chicken parts and have the guys cook them... baked beans and salad along side?

I would pick things that are as low work as possible, over higher work things... like I would skip pancakes in favor of the frech toast thing in the pan... less work that morning... how about lots of make ahead muffins for one day? Serve with fresh fruit?
Last edited by SheilaPCT on March 29th, 2012, 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 15th, 2012, 4:01 pm #5

We help host a reunion every year at the in-laws farm. This year the reunion is getting moved to a state park that is about 15 miles from us. Everyone is renting cabins there. So, this will be a new experience for us. I am anxiously awaiting May 22 so that I can reserve us a cabin. If they are all gone at that point, we will just drive back and forth. I have to wait until that date to get a state discount. Being the frugalista that I 'sometimes' am, I want the discount. You can only use the discount if you book no more than 30 days in advance. So, I am taking my chances. This is a state park that isn't that popular and the cabins aren't on the water. We will see.

So, here is what we've done for years and it has worked:

Friday night
lasagna and salad--This was in the 'older' years. We made lasagna ahead of time and froze it.

Now, we all meet at a bbq joint (which is 15 miles in the opposite direction of where we are going this year. However, we are not breaking tradition and so we will all make the 30 mile run to eat!

Saturday breakfast--on your own. Most of them meet up and eat something at a restaurant. This year we might try a new (to them) restaurant. There is a very good restaurant that is about a mile from the cabins.

I would suggest sweet rolls, donuts, etc. for at least day. The other day I might have breakfast casseroles and fruit.

Saturday lunch--sandwiches, chips and easy desserts--cookies and brownies normally. The sandwiches are made from a ham that someone always brings and also from chicken salad that someone else always brings. Oh, and one lady always brings homemade pimento cheese (I don't like hers LOL).

Saturday night--We buy bbq, beans and potato salad from that same local bbq joint. These people REALLY love their food. Everyone from out of town pools resources and buys slaw fixings, fruit to be cut up, drinks, etc.

Sunday morning--on their own because they are all checking out of the hotels

Sunday lunch--leftover bbq (if any), and whatever else people bring in. There is normally a 'new' group that drives in for the day and brings some new items.

Many items are homemade and many are store bought throughout the weekend. Every family brings a cooler. Ice and drinks are stored in there.

Some other tips:

--If you have a key to your church and it has an ice machine then you could get free ice!

--If anyone offers to go to the store to buy something because they are from out of town and didn't cook, let them! Give them a list. On Friday night, they start a list and then it goes from there. People bring buns, chips, more drinks, even toilet paper.

--You might want to decide some things ahead of time--like who will bring plates, forks, etc. because they can watch for deals now and save them. And, you'll need condiments too.

--Out of town people can bring desserts easily because they are easy to travel with.

--Most people don't even care if the food is homemade or not. LOL Just buy whatever and have fun!

--I've wanted to cook out (hamburgers/hotdogs) for years but no one ever wanted to. This year we are going to since we have access to large grills. I'm excited about that!

--You might think of giving everyone a list ahead of time (if they don't mind something like that) and then they can bring whatever they want with them and buy the rest when they get here.

--I would think about making the list include things for each family to bring like 1 pack of toilet paper, one pack of 20 plates, one bag of chips, 2 cases of drinks, etc. Or, you can be REALLY casual like we are and just show up with whatever and let it all work out. LOL

Oh, and the BIG thing in the summer is to have lots of drinks especially if there are kids coming. We go through tons of drinks when it is hot.

Also think about some games like horseshoes and corn hole.

Tammy

April 15th, 2012, 10:09 pm #6

I would expect there will be corn available by then. You can cook shucked corn in a cooler! you simply layer the corn and pour a lot of boiling water over it and slam on the lid. It cooks a lot of corn with little problems or fuss other than having a shucking session before hand.
As for breakfast; I'd go ask the new restaurant if they will give a deal to a group of folks that are coming. They'd probably love to have a guaranteed crowd.
We've done hamburgs, hot dogs and sausages on the grill for a crowd.

April 16th, 2012, 4:35 am #7

We help host a reunion every year at the in-laws farm. This year the reunion is getting moved to a state park that is about 15 miles from us. Everyone is renting cabins there. So, this will be a new experience for us. I am anxiously awaiting May 22 so that I can reserve us a cabin. If they are all gone at that point, we will just drive back and forth. I have to wait until that date to get a state discount. Being the frugalista that I 'sometimes' am, I want the discount. You can only use the discount if you book no more than 30 days in advance. So, I am taking my chances. This is a state park that isn't that popular and the cabins aren't on the water. We will see.

So, here is what we've done for years and it has worked:

Friday night
lasagna and salad--This was in the 'older' years. We made lasagna ahead of time and froze it.

Now, we all meet at a bbq joint (which is 15 miles in the opposite direction of where we are going this year. However, we are not breaking tradition and so we will all make the 30 mile run to eat!

Saturday breakfast--on your own. Most of them meet up and eat something at a restaurant. This year we might try a new (to them) restaurant. There is a very good restaurant that is about a mile from the cabins.

I would suggest sweet rolls, donuts, etc. for at least day. The other day I might have breakfast casseroles and fruit.

Saturday lunch--sandwiches, chips and easy desserts--cookies and brownies normally. The sandwiches are made from a ham that someone always brings and also from chicken salad that someone else always brings. Oh, and one lady always brings homemade pimento cheese (I don't like hers LOL).

Saturday night--We buy bbq, beans and potato salad from that same local bbq joint. These people REALLY love their food. Everyone from out of town pools resources and buys slaw fixings, fruit to be cut up, drinks, etc.

Sunday morning--on their own because they are all checking out of the hotels

Sunday lunch--leftover bbq (if any), and whatever else people bring in. There is normally a 'new' group that drives in for the day and brings some new items.

Many items are homemade and many are store bought throughout the weekend. Every family brings a cooler. Ice and drinks are stored in there.

Some other tips:

--If you have a key to your church and it has an ice machine then you could get free ice!

--If anyone offers to go to the store to buy something because they are from out of town and didn't cook, let them! Give them a list. On Friday night, they start a list and then it goes from there. People bring buns, chips, more drinks, even toilet paper.

--You might want to decide some things ahead of time--like who will bring plates, forks, etc. because they can watch for deals now and save them. And, you'll need condiments too.

--Out of town people can bring desserts easily because they are easy to travel with.

--Most people don't even care if the food is homemade or not. LOL Just buy whatever and have fun!

--I've wanted to cook out (hamburgers/hotdogs) for years but no one ever wanted to. This year we are going to since we have access to large grills. I'm excited about that!

--You might think of giving everyone a list ahead of time (if they don't mind something like that) and then they can bring whatever they want with them and buy the rest when they get here.

--I would think about making the list include things for each family to bring like 1 pack of toilet paper, one pack of 20 plates, one bag of chips, 2 cases of drinks, etc. Or, you can be REALLY casual like we are and just show up with whatever and let it all work out. LOL

Oh, and the BIG thing in the summer is to have lots of drinks especially if there are kids coming. We go through tons of drinks when it is hot.

Also think about some games like horseshoes and corn hole.

Tammy
Everyone except us is traveling at least 400 miles for the reunion, and we also have several coming from Arizona and Ohio. I love the idea of having them bring TP, soft drinks, etc., because they can either bring them with them or stop in the last town with a supermarket and pick up what they need.

DH's cousin Marie is working with me on the food, etc. We already have a turkey and a ham for the first night, which can then become make-your-own lunches...especially for the people who go boating. There will be at least one other boat besides ours there. Last week I bought Minute Maid OJ on B1G1F and Jimmy Dean sausage rolls for $1.88. The day we cook sausage for breakfast, we'll also make a big batch of pancake batter and let people make their own pancakes, waffles and eggs. Marie got a deal on paper plates at Costco.

April 16th, 2012, 1:16 pm #8

We had a birthday party sunday and fried catfish. I fixed cornbread, baked seasoned potato wedges and corn to go with it. Also made angel food cake and had thawed out frozen strawberries and ice cream to go with it. I would of liked to had a salad and green veggie, but this family doesn't eat green veggies......WIERD!! lol

I would do my best to have everything organized to a knat's @ss, if all possible. It sure saves you time later and gives you a chance to enjoy the fun instead scrambling around doing all the work.