i'm searching for a frugal belt

i'm searching for a frugal belt

September 22nd, 2011, 3:31 pm #1

i'm usually in jeans and i like a wide black belt. the ones i've had for about 20 years are giving out.

i bought 2 belts at a flea market for $6.00 and i didn't expect much but i found out that they're not leather and i'm getting about 4 months to a belt, lol.

i've gone to a few stores and HOLY COW! i've seen prices from $24.00 to $50.00! (nothing special)

please tell me that i'm looking in the wrong places and where to find a cheaper durable belt.

September 22nd, 2011, 5:18 pm #2

I don't wear belts and it's been a long time since dh bought one. Put it on your Christmas list?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

September 22nd, 2011, 6:16 pm #3

i'm usually in jeans and i like a wide black belt. the ones i've had for about 20 years are giving out.

i bought 2 belts at a flea market for $6.00 and i didn't expect much but i found out that they're not leather and i'm getting about 4 months to a belt, lol.

i've gone to a few stores and HOLY COW! i've seen prices from $24.00 to $50.00! (nothing special)

please tell me that i'm looking in the wrong places and where to find a cheaper durable belt.
Penney's and Macy's, among others, frequently have awesome deals on belts--often 40%-50% off. If you happen to have a coupon, you can up the discount.

If you want a belt that will last the rest of your life, go to a leatherworker (sometimes shoe repair shops do this) and have them make you one. It doesn't have to be a hand-tooled job, unless you want one, and it should cost less if it isn't. Ask around to find out who does leatherwork. Check Tandy for "blank" belts--that's probably what you want.

September 22nd, 2011, 7:09 pm #4

Several months ago I was on vacation and realized I had not brought my belt. I stopped at Dollar General and found one for $10 or $12, can't remember now. But I've worn it almost daily since then, it's leather and has held up nicely. My next suggestion is a thrift store, that's where my last one came from.

September 23rd, 2011, 11:37 am #5

I often wear a belt with my jeans. I am finding that a lot of what is sold out there as "leather" is actually "bonded leather" and it's hard to tell... the bonded leater is like a thin strip of real leather attatched to some other material. They don't hold up so well... I look at thrift shops. Anything my size or bigger is fair game. I have brought them to the shoe repair guy to get cut down. Right now I am looking for a good black one myself... I like the stamped ones.... I have a cream one that fits so I am just waiting till I find the black one I want....

September 23rd, 2011, 1:25 pm #6

i think it is bonded to cardboard!

September 23rd, 2011, 9:10 pm #7

if it's real leather all the way thru, and you're probably gonna pay for it.... I have learned to not buy them online, you just can't tell the quality that way.

September 23rd, 2011, 9:25 pm #8

i think it is bonded to cardboard!
and buy a real leather one from someone that I know uses real leather... like a saddle shop or something. The last one I got turned out to be bonded leather, and it's doing a nice job of unbonding itself after only a year. The real leather belt I have I've worn since 2003, still looks good, only problem is I'm on the last hole...

September 23rd, 2011, 10:07 pm #9

but they were $35 and up... but I kind of think it's the sort of thing that unless you luck out at the thrift shop, you might as well get a good one... Maybe something to put on your Christmas wish list, then again I know my mom, she would just look to see it said "leather" and buy it... I had a REALLY good one that lasted me for almost years... I bought it down in Fla, visiting Penny, I think it was a store called Belks or something like that...

September 23rd, 2011, 10:38 pm #10

from the Hudderitte tanner at the Farmer's market. It was $24, I think, and beautifully carved. The carving was not extra- the price was the same for all belts that wide. It is probably prideful to charge for your work

Anyway- I would agree with looking at places where you buy other leather products. That is where we are going to buy our next dog leash!