I just went on a "vacation at home"

I just went on a "vacation at home"

May 30th, 2012, 8:27 pm #1

I had Friday and Monday off, and I was supposed to go to Atlanta with a friend. But at the last minute the friend had to bail, so I called my BFF who lives in a condo at the beach, and told her I was moving into her guest room for a few days. She had to work (owns her own business) so I had the place to myself most of the time. Breakfast on the balcony overlooking the beach, very nice. I spent my days as if I were on a vacation away from home, which meant a lot of sleeping in and rest/relaxation. But I did some touristy things too. Sunday morning I picked up my grandson and took him to the Gulfarium, we had a blast despite the heat. I took a walk on the beach. Saturday after my BFF got off work we went shopping in Destin and then ate at a place we'd never been to before.

My accomodations in Atlanta would have been free, we were staying with BFF's parents if we had gone. I always stay with them there and they were happy to have me bring a friend, even though they didn't know her. But I saved a bunch of money since I didn't have to drive to my vacation destination, so I was able to add some $$ to my emergency fund and buy some stuff I wasn't expecting to get yet.

So here's my question: Do you ever vacation at home? Are there cool places in your area you don't make time to visit? Or have you hit the sights and played tourist in your area? What are the fun things to do where you live?

May 31st, 2012, 6:05 pm #2

I did this one summer when my son was small. We hit all the places that people come to town to see but we never visited. A few the cost was too high but since it was our vacation we decided to go for it. We also ate out most days which was a real treat. A couple of times we went to the lake and had a picnic or did something else low cost. Over all we had a nice time and spent less than if we had gone somewhere. And we were less tired and cranky overall being home every night. And maybe the big bonus was I didn't have a ton of vacation laundry and other work like when we go someplace.LOL

I also have had a few days off this week and we have enjoyed it by eating out a few times. And even went to the movies, which we almost never do.
Last edited by sameoleCCTX on May 31st, 2012, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 31st, 2012, 11:56 pm #3

I had Friday and Monday off, and I was supposed to go to Atlanta with a friend. But at the last minute the friend had to bail, so I called my BFF who lives in a condo at the beach, and told her I was moving into her guest room for a few days. She had to work (owns her own business) so I had the place to myself most of the time. Breakfast on the balcony overlooking the beach, very nice. I spent my days as if I were on a vacation away from home, which meant a lot of sleeping in and rest/relaxation. But I did some touristy things too. Sunday morning I picked up my grandson and took him to the Gulfarium, we had a blast despite the heat. I took a walk on the beach. Saturday after my BFF got off work we went shopping in Destin and then ate at a place we'd never been to before.

My accomodations in Atlanta would have been free, we were staying with BFF's parents if we had gone. I always stay with them there and they were happy to have me bring a friend, even though they didn't know her. But I saved a bunch of money since I didn't have to drive to my vacation destination, so I was able to add some $$ to my emergency fund and buy some stuff I wasn't expecting to get yet.

So here's my question: Do you ever vacation at home? Are there cool places in your area you don't make time to visit? Or have you hit the sights and played tourist in your area? What are the fun things to do where you live?
I think it is a great idea. There isn't anything great to do around here, but there is a festival every weekend. Summer is short so they need to pack them in.

June 1st, 2012, 12:59 am #4

We're an hour from Branson - and we make lots of day trips, weekend trips, and an occasional multiple day trip to Branson where we play tourist.

We've also got a lot of options for camping and fishing right here at home - it's one of our favorite things to do on the w/ends, pretend we're on vacation.

I will be vacationing in Florida frequently Penny - my grandbaby is now 8 and living in Orlando TOO far away from Nana!
glendaMO

June 1st, 2012, 7:42 pm #5

So I KNOW it's too far away from you! It must be painful to see them move, since they've been so close all this time. It would be killing me.

I have a friend whose only grandson was born the day before mine was. The dad is military. Every time someone asks what the grandpa will do when the dad gets orders and they have to move, he says he'll miss them terribly and frequently send tickets so the parents can come visit their son. He's only half joking...

June 2nd, 2012, 3:16 am #6

We stopped at a Texas tourist information station today and I picked up a bunch of flyers on local attractions, and one of those big books that has most of the big towns listed and what there is to do there. When people come here and ask what there is to do, I never really know, but I plan to change that. I live in an area where there are tons of events so it's high time I find out which ones are fun.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

June 2nd, 2012, 1:54 pm #7

We plan to take a week off with the kids and see the local sights. I plan to get take out pizza, chinese, etc. to make the cooking part simple. We'll probably do it in early september since our kids still aren't in school, but everybody else will be.

June 3rd, 2012, 8:21 pm #8

I am going to NC this summer with my boyfriend to do more cleaning up of his dads house. It is on the market now but we have to get the last few things out of it and clear out the very full shed. We also need to sell a box truck and trailer but we hope to have some time at the end to go to the beach.

Anyhow... the kids and I are planning a "stay-cation" for June 14th-15th and the 18th thru the 22nd. We do have to do some less than fun things like a Dr apt and dentist apt some place in there... but we are planning to get together with friends, go strawberry picking, on a day trip or 2 to the kids Museum and to the science center where I have an "admit one free" pass, attend a special program at the library that includes dinner and a magic show and another day go to a free movie. We might rent a red box movie or two and I'm trying to budget for take out chines food that first week and pizza the second week.

We also have 2 1/2 weeks at the end of summer and I ma trying to do the same with those- August 20th- (back to school)Labor day weekend. I know we will be doing some less fun stuff again- maybe some back to school shoppping if I HAVE to, and some getting school supplies ready, but I am planning blueberry picking, a movie theater movie, there may be some free activities at the library, maybe a trip to the beach, one dinner out... just trying to come up with some special and fun things to do to keep them busy.

June 3rd, 2012, 10:44 pm #9

I would see all of the things that needed doing here and I wouldn't enjoy myself at all.

June 4th, 2012, 2:50 am #10

While I read Penny's message o be that she stayed at a friend's home, I have to agree with you, Maxine. I took a week long vacation including Memorial Day weekend. The first 3 days were home and I spent them doing necessary things here. It wasn't until we left on the 4th day to Virginia (visits to Monticello, Uni. of Va, Williamsburg and Mount Vernon)did I feel like I was on a vacation.

--Kim