I grew up thinking I had a weird name

I grew up thinking I had a weird name

August 11th, 2012, 1:36 am #1

Old fashioned first name and odd last name. I just came across a name that makes me feel downright normal. Her name was Alphabet. Yes. Her parents named her Alphabet. On the 1930 census she is listed that way and on her headstone it's Alpha B.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

August 11th, 2012, 2:21 am #2

My daughters name is Salomae.... I get a lot of comments about it, not bad ones, but people commenting on how it's pretty or interesting. Levi is my second sons name and that is becomming more popular...

But "Alphabet" is just odd.... : )

August 11th, 2012, 3:20 am #3

Old fashioned first name and odd last name. I just came across a name that makes me feel downright normal. Her name was Alphabet. Yes. Her parents named her Alphabet. On the 1930 census she is listed that way and on her headstone it's Alpha B.

------
But that's not even a name. Although the way it reads on her tombstone reminds me of Elphaba from Wicked.

August 11th, 2012, 9:57 am #4

------
that I would conside rather unusual.

In our local paper every week they publish photos of children at school during their first year - lots of little 5 yr olds

I am usually fairly amused by some of the names but J-Lo for a first name was only just beaten by the little girl with the first name of Snow and a last name of White

I'm not at all keen on unusual names - my first name ( not Polly) is fairly unusual and I suffered all through school with it - I really would have loved to be called Susan or Carol - both very popular at the time!

August 11th, 2012, 1:40 pm #5

or Ashley, Leslie, Kelly. Anything popular. I have an old-fashioned first name and my last name was just odd. Other kids LOVED to make jokes.

------

August 11th, 2012, 1:51 pm #6

------
My name is Shawn, no not Shawna. I hate it. People either want to turn me into a Shawna, Sharon or Susan. To this day I get comments lie, "your Shawn?", "Isn't that a boys name" etc. etc.

I gave my children biblical names, Elijah and Bethany. My daughter has turned into a "Bet" or "Bet Bet" at home. Slightly unique but she is definitely not a "Beth". I like that she is a "Bet" because I don't think Bethany sounds right on a 40 year old woman. My son is "Eli" or "E"

DH got final say on her first name because I got final say on ds's first name. He wanted to name him Ashley. I wanted DD to be Caroline.

Their middle names are after DH's grandfather and my grandmother, Franklin and Leverne respectively. DD hates hers!

August 12th, 2012, 1:25 am #7

------
It rarely came preprinted on license plates for bicycles or necklaces. I wanted to be a Jenny, but that's my sister's name. I also wanted to be Julie or Kelly.

My dd's name is Lauren. I have always loved that name, but there were 3 other Lauren's in her class last year, and now that she will be in middle school, I'm sure there will be more. I wanted her to be name Erin, but dh's doesn't like it for a girl. Ds's name is Reed. He was easy to name. My father's middle name was Reed, and I knew I wanted to name him after my dad. My dad's first name was Leo - I woundn't do that to a kid - too odd.

August 13th, 2012, 12:39 am #8

------
But here I am. I didn't grow up in the kind of family where you could select a nickname and they would actually call you that. Everyone calls me Max, of course, although my parents never did. I'm kind of a Barbara, I think. But I already had two cousins named Barbara (one on each side). Maxine was my mother's idea. My middle name is Alice, after my mother's twin sister.

Both my maiden and married names are very ordinary but not extremely common.

I also gave my kids ordinary, but not extremely common, first names: Colleen and Patrick. Colleen's middle name is Michelle because DH had an old girlfriend named Diane, which was my first choice. Pat's middle name is Elliott, which was my maiden name. He was born just before ET came out, so there were a few other Elliotts. (And Elliots, and Eliots).

As you can imagine, I spent the first 22 years of my life spelling my last name, because no one gets Elliott right. There is only one way to spell my married last name, but you'd be surprised how many people try to spell it incorrectly!

August 13th, 2012, 12:27 pm #9

------
...but now that one of the hottest singers in the world is Adele, I have to wonder how unusual it will be. I suppose everyone will always think that she was named after the singer, which kind of bothers me. Oh well. Get over it, right? LOL!

August 13th, 2012, 12:53 pm #10

I've been hearing of a LOT of "Will"s.