How much is reasonable for 'fun money'

How much is reasonable for 'fun money'

March 24th, 2012, 3:31 pm #1

Anyone budget for this? 'Fun money' (to me) would be money that a person can spend on anything they like without comment from a spouse.

March 24th, 2012, 3:39 pm #2

Someone was asking the same question... He said that once you have completed the baby steps, you look at the 'leftover' money each month and budget it into extra savings, extra giving, and blow money into allotments that you are comfortable with. That was the gist anyway.

March 24th, 2012, 4:25 pm #3

Anyone budget for this? 'Fun money' (to me) would be money that a person can spend on anything they like without comment from a spouse.
and while some might think it should have included the horses, it didn't, LOL they had their own category!!

in fact the limits I set are what prompted my hubby to get a weekend job at a pawn shop. he enjoyed being there anyway and made his own hours and chose his own work - which suited everyone. and gave him extra to spend (on me, LOL)

these days it is whatever is left after I pay what I have to, consider what I want (house, trips) and leave a bit for tomorrow. the rest? mine to blow.

Myra in West Texas

March 24th, 2012, 6:14 pm #4

When I first set ours up I resented DH smoking habit and so I basically added 20 bucks (so he had some in his pocket) to the hundred he spent for smokes and that is what I took as well..mainly because he gave me flack for anything I spent (which was generally very little), he didn't look at what he was taking out for smokes each month/week. He has since quit smoking so his goes much further each month. So for the last I don't know how long it has been 120 a month, 30 a week.

It is supposed to cover what we do hobby wise as well as if we want to go out to lunch or buy any thing in particular.. I save mine and usually buy something bigger..like a camera lens this time for that new grand baby coming in May, or a spinning wheel, and carder....

DH spends his every month and never has anything to show for it, but this is our no questions asked amount and I don't ask or care as long as he doesn't dip into the household account...

Every now and then when I make a fairly substantial purchase DH will raise and eyebrow and I smile sweetly and say my allowance...nuff said

I think we should perhaps review it and see if maybe we should cut it back some.. but I don't think DH will go for it...

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

March 24th, 2012, 11:59 pm #5

Someone was asking the same question... He said that once you have completed the baby steps, you look at the 'leftover' money each month and budget it into extra savings, extra giving, and blow money into allotments that you are comfortable with. That was the gist anyway.

March 25th, 2012, 12:15 am #6

podcasts every Friday...

March 25th, 2012, 11:48 am #7

about $80 a month.... I dont always take it and I don't really like to do it as $20 a week- some times I save it up, or other weeks like last week I add it to what goes into savings. Some months it ends up being my "wal-mart run" money....