How late does a gas bill have to be before they turn it off?

How late does a gas bill have to be before they turn it off?

September 24th, 2011, 12:35 am #1

My dd's roommate didn't pay the gas bill (in her name), and the co. turned off the gas and removed the meter. She had collected for it from each of the roommates every month and never told them she wasn't paying it. We figure she was blowing the money. Now we're trying to figure out how much she owes dd for the month(s) she paid the roommate and the roommate didn't pay the gas co.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

September 24th, 2011, 1:01 am #2

and tell them your dd lives there, and you want to know what they owe, to get the gas turned back on.

I'm really sorry you're going through this, especially now!
glendaMO

September 24th, 2011, 2:19 am #3

The same roommate didn't pay her rent or send in another girl's rent, and the whole lot of them were asked to vacate. Dd is here now.

------

September 24th, 2011, 2:37 am #4

Are you going to try to collectively sue her for the amount she owes everyone, or chalk it up to an expensive learning experience?

Sorry to hear it came down to this, but glad she has a home to return to, and parents who care, and will be there for her!

I'd guess that the gas company let it go for 2-3 months.
glendaMO

September 24th, 2011, 2:56 am #5

Since she has no money, and it would cost us time and money to do it.

Stupid tax, and hopefully dd will learn something. But I doubt it.

------

September 25th, 2011, 1:11 pm #6

can be very expensive, but it can also teach some very good lessons. I know I've learned from it more than I care to admit, hopefully your daughter will also be able to learn from it, although I'd anticipate it may take some time.
glendaMO

September 25th, 2011, 7:15 pm #7

Since she has no money, and it would cost us time and money to do it.

Stupid tax, and hopefully dd will learn something. But I doubt it.

------
It's cheap and easy. You'll get a judgment, and it will stay on her credit record forever.

September 25th, 2011, 9:10 pm #8

can be very expensive, but it can also teach some very good lessons. I know I've learned from it more than I care to admit, hopefully your daughter will also be able to learn from it, although I'd anticipate it may take some time.
as someone who shared living quarters with room mates for almost 20 years in Hawaii, what I learned very quickly is to be the one in charge. I rented the apartment and rented out rooms to others. I paid the bills, which were in my name. Actually, thinking back (this was over 20 years ago) I included the bills in what I charged the others for rent. It wasn't "a bunch of us going into this together and splitting things up" so there was certainly less equality than that type of a setup. I estimated bills on the high side, charged a little more than an equal amount for the rent and was able to weather the times when I was left holding the bag. The agreement between me and the renter was that they would pay X amount for the room and house priveleges--NOT that I was splitting everything evenly.

I was left holding the bag a couple of times and it was hair raising even with that cushion, but I didn't have to worry what someone else was doing with my money.

My only regret--that I didn't keep a list of all the names just so I would know how many room mates traipsed through my various apartments during those hand to mouth years. Some really good, a few lemons (you DO remember those!) and a lot of live and let live.
Panda/wa

September 26th, 2011, 12:35 am #9

It's cheap and easy. You'll get a judgment, and it will stay on her credit record forever.
On the 13th he put a notice on the door and told the girls that he wanted them out on the 16th. He did NOT put that part in writing. Two of the girls hadn't paid him for Sept at that time. He also told them that if he didn't get Oct rent from all of them he would sue them and garnish their wages - even though he told them to vacate before Oct. He told dd that since she has never been late with a payment that if she paid him her part of Oct rent, he wouldn't include her in the suit. We figured that was a ploy to get some money from her and then include her in the suit anyway since the lease said they were all individually responsible.

Sooo, we had dd call him Saturday and agree to pay her part IF he would send a statement in writing saying it was her last and final payment and that he wouldn't sue her either individually or jointly, and THEN she would send the payment. Surprisingly, he agreed. Now we'll see if he really does it.

------
Last edited by TxNet on September 26th, 2011, 4:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 26th, 2011, 12:53 am #10

...because, as a landlord, I would have done something like that. We're not all money-grubbing ba****ds. I'm not at all surprised that he agreed to put it in writing--I would have.