How do you find a pet sitter?

How do you find a pet sitter?

August 9th, 2012, 2:50 pm #1

And what steps do you take to vet them? The only one I found on my own a few years ago did not work out so well. (got her referral from a vet clinic). Everyone else has been a neighbor or a friend (or kid of a friend). The guy I was using here just left, and the pet sitters I have called (one was recommended from someone at work) are charging $30-40/day to come and spend 10 minutes to check on the cats, which I think is nuts. I'm a bit leery of emailing random people that post ads on craigslist, who knows what you are getting!

August 9th, 2012, 4:53 pm #2

I remember hearing someone on Dave Ramsey say how much she charged, and I thought that was high enough. I'll have to do a search here and see if I posted about it.

Other than what you've already checked, I have no idea. I'd probably go with CL, and ask for references, one being a vet, and check them out. You just want someone to come over once a day and feed the cat?

Here it is - the one with Maxine and Linda being famous. The lady charged $15 for the first half hour and then it went up by $10's after that. But that was also in 2010. thread here

------
The road to success is always under construction.
Last edited by TxNet on August 9th, 2012, 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 9th, 2012, 6:39 pm #3

And what steps do you take to vet them? The only one I found on my own a few years ago did not work out so well. (got her referral from a vet clinic). Everyone else has been a neighbor or a friend (or kid of a friend). The guy I was using here just left, and the pet sitters I have called (one was recommended from someone at work) are charging $30-40/day to come and spend 10 minutes to check on the cats, which I think is nuts. I'm a bit leery of emailing random people that post ads on craigslist, who knows what you are getting!
DS#1 is having his first pet sitting experience right now but the pet is staying with us. I thought that if he got $10/ day he would be doing really well. The other kids make around $15/ day for house sitting and there is often more than one pet!

Next month DS#1 is going to pet sit for his sister at her house for a two and a half weeks. He'll be happy if they show him how to turn on netflix and leave some snacks in the cupboard! :-|

If it is $35-40/ day for a visit what does it cost to board a dog?? I looked on Kijiji and it seems like it is in the $20 range/ day (plus extra for food if you don't supply it)

August 9th, 2012, 7:33 pm #4

yeah... Two per 'condo' is $26 daily about 2 miles from my apt. There's another slightly further away (6 miles) $18/day for two cats. They don't say they have a 'condo' on their site, but I'm sure it's more than adequate. It says large room, hidey hole and toys. It might be worth it to pay them a visit actually. The only potential downside with them is the pickup hours, which might lead to having to drop them off a day or two prior and pick up a day or two after I get back (no drop/pickup on Sat/Sun). I'm glad you mentioned that - makes me less stressed to try and find someone prior to leaving for a week next week. Probably not a bad idea either as one cat has a tendency to get sick, and it would be nice for her to have someone knowledgeable looking after her!

August 9th, 2012, 8:24 pm #5

I remember hearing someone on Dave Ramsey say how much she charged, and I thought that was high enough. I'll have to do a search here and see if I posted about it.

Other than what you've already checked, I have no idea. I'd probably go with CL, and ask for references, one being a vet, and check them out. You just want someone to come over once a day and feed the cat?

Here it is - the one with Maxine and Linda being famous. The lady charged $15 for the first half hour and then it went up by $10's after that. But that was also in 2010. thread here

------
...which may include spending the night. This is usually for dogs. She doesn't usually just go to people's houses to feed cats because she wouldn't think it worth more than $10 a day, and she wouldn't want to tie herself down for that. She feeds cats for her neighbors for free.

August 9th, 2012, 8:54 pm #6

yeah... Two per 'condo' is $26 daily about 2 miles from my apt. There's another slightly further away (6 miles) $18/day for two cats. They don't say they have a 'condo' on their site, but I'm sure it's more than adequate. It says large room, hidey hole and toys. It might be worth it to pay them a visit actually. The only potential downside with them is the pickup hours, which might lead to having to drop them off a day or two prior and pick up a day or two after I get back (no drop/pickup on Sat/Sun). I'm glad you mentioned that - makes me less stressed to try and find someone prior to leaving for a week next week. Probably not a bad idea either as one cat has a tendency to get sick, and it would be nice for her to have someone knowledgeable looking after her!
you could use some live in help- a pet nanny! I can see that becoming a job in the future since fewer people are having children and are having pets instead.

August 10th, 2012, 1:29 am #7

Every cat I've ever had would hide under something and bolt through the door the minute the opportunity presented itself.

------

August 10th, 2012, 2:24 am #8

check it out. this one would be $20/day
http://www.bluegrass-kennels.com/campkitty.html

As much as I travel they might not mind it after awhile? Sept I will be gone 19 days. pick up/drop off, they'd practically spend three weeks there!

August 10th, 2012, 2:45 am #9

would be to spend some money and let them go for one night. Then three. Like if you have a short trip. So it is not overwhelming and not a strange place when they have to stay two weeks.

That's what I did with Su on the kennel stays.

For what it costs to have someone come in, this sounds like a good alternative.

And while it seems like an awful long time I have kept a cat for Janelle for a week at a time in my pen out back, and strays get to stay there for two weeks at a time once or twice. They survived.

Myra in West Texas

August 10th, 2012, 5:13 pm #10

I asked her yesterday, and she got back with me today and put me in touch with a local college student in this complex. Gave her a great reference - said they have never had any problems with her, she qualified for the apt on her own, responsible, etc. She sounds nice on the phone, says she loves cats, and will come over sometime this weekend so we can meet and she can see the cats. Hopefully that works out! I would prefer not to have to haul them back and forth to kennels...