How are your gas and car insurance prices?

How are your gas and car insurance prices?

August 6th, 2012, 11:50 am #1

Yesterday gas was $4.09 credit card/$3.99 cash. last time i filled up it was $3.65.
I don't carry enough cash on me to fill up with the cash price!!!

Also rec'd insurance renewal. We get these every 6 months, the premium is up-its been steady the last few times. One sons car went up $20 the other went up $50 (they are both on our policy and under 21). Whats funny is the up $20 is the younger driver who has a newer car. Have to see how much my and dh's car went up, i remember the boys prices cause they pay me back.

August 6th, 2012, 12:21 pm #2

Gas is running around $3.45 to $3.59 depending on the station. They go up for a few days to the $3.60's then back down to the $3.40's for a few days. It's been cycling like that for a couple of months now. I usually try to fill up when I see it back down around $3.40 so I don't get stuck getting gas like I did last time at $3.63, then the next day it had dropped 20 cents!

As for insurance, 6 month policies...
June 2012 - $518.79, $500 deductible
Dec 2011 - $459.97, $1000 deductible
Sept 2011 - $447.15 (reissue, move to KY)
June 2011 - $519.96 (CA, $1000 deductible)
June 2010 - $503.36

August 6th, 2012, 12:27 pm #3

Yesterday gas was $4.09 credit card/$3.99 cash. last time i filled up it was $3.65.

Also rec'd insurance renewal. We get these every 6 months, the premium is up-its been steady the last few times. One sons car went up $20 the other went up $50 (they are both on our policy and under 21). Whats funny is the up $20 is the younger driver who has a newer car. Have to see how much my and dh's car went up, i remember the boys prices cause they pay me back.
Premiums seem that they aren't so much associate with the age of the car anymore, but more with the risk of damage to another vehicle with the car (ie a larger vehicle cost more than a smaller vehicle) and the cost to repair the vehicle itself (special edition cost more than bottom of the rung).

At 50 yo, our policy seems to be holding steady - I can't convince dh that a little car would get him to and fro, he wants something sporty or a truck. We're leaning toward something sporty and better gas mileage, instead of a truck. I think the savings in gas money may make up for the lack of decrease in insurance premiums.
glendaMO

August 6th, 2012, 12:48 pm #4

Is it the damage you cause or the damage caused to you?

my old truck was the cheapest by far to insure, and it was an old all metal beast that would give more damage than it would get... as shown by the few incidents I and my brother have had in it. It was running me $180 for full coverage for six months.

Next up a little plastic Accent - that bumped my six month premium up over $600.

Next the SUV - value double that of the Accent, yet my premium went down.

so my vehicles that would cause more damage have cost less to insure... I'm sure there is some sort of algorithm there but I can't figure it out.

August 6th, 2012, 1:56 pm #5

but tend to think it is how much it will cost to fix your car. The insurance adjuster told me long ago to get a Taurus as the company liked those due to repair costs.

Myra in West Texas

August 6th, 2012, 1:59 pm #6

Premiums seem that they aren't so much associate with the age of the car anymore, but more with the risk of damage to another vehicle with the car (ie a larger vehicle cost more than a smaller vehicle) and the cost to repair the vehicle itself (special edition cost more than bottom of the rung).

At 50 yo, our policy seems to be holding steady - I can't convince dh that a little car would get him to and fro, he wants something sporty or a truck. We're leaning toward something sporty and better gas mileage, instead of a truck. I think the savings in gas money may make up for the lack of decrease in insurance premiums.
sport on car name, LOL. or two door. Those up the rates. Sometimes a whole heckuva lot.

current ins. is 326 per six months. I drive a Mazda S... something. It is definitely a sporty car and gets good mileage. The newer ones should be even better.

Myra in West Texas

August 6th, 2012, 2:07 pm #7

Not sure about the car insurance.

August 6th, 2012, 2:43 pm #8

I need to fill up today and gasbuddy.com shows this as the local range. I don't really pay much attention but dh usually knows where the cheapest place is.

August 6th, 2012, 2:51 pm #9

Just paid last week on my '03 Grand Caravan. Full coverage, $500 deductible, $268.06 for two old people with pretty good (though not perfect) driving records. This was for 6 months. Probably should drop collision, but it's still cost-effective. And I used comprehensive less than 2 years ago when a deer hit me.
Last edited by MaxineS on August 6th, 2012, 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

August 7th, 2012, 11:00 am #10

$3.81/gallon here.... nt