How about some updates...

How about some updates...

December 27th, 2011, 3:34 pm #1

I see posts to many changes. Lets do an update thread

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

December 27th, 2011, 3:58 pm #2

I guess the biggest change in our life right now (well there are a couple) is that we went from a 2 adult 2 dog house, to a 5 adult 4 dog house, and quite frankly its driving me a bit buggy. DD is home from college right now, she will be going back to college soon.. so that will help...And anyone that has lived with a person with Aspbergers knows how inflexible they can be:> All the changes are bugging her too.
SS and GF also moved in with their 2 dogs...we swore we would not do this again... but now there is a baby that is going to be involved..
Since I believe all babies are blessings, this is the other good news we get to find out on the 4th if its a girl or boy, the downside of this is they are both so self oriented I really worry for this little one.. and financially they are so clueless...they are also not very nice to each other..:I also kind of believe they are here to learn...she is wanting to nest, but has no clue how to do things... so we are working on cooking and shopping frugally. At the end of our first shopping trip she was so amazed at how much food she had and that she still had money left...the 2nd trip they did on their own... did pretty well.

I am still working with K-1 special needs kids and still loving it...
DH and I both are trying to heal a bit... DH broke his leg in OCT and I was DXed with fibromyalgia about a week later... He is still a bit gimpy and I have good days and bad.. mostly depending on the stress levels in the house...

Our two dogs are constant joys and keep up sane I think... Gus the lab turned rottie/daschund has topped out at 95 lbs now and is about thigh level to me.. he is one very gentle giant...
Tucker the little English Springer spaniel I got on the steps of the Vets office it now 7 months old and going thru is juvenile delinquent phase... my yarn/ weaving threads are not safe... in fact NOTHING is safe...but he is a cutie...

My SIL was just recently DX's with breast cancer...and while they did catch it very early on and removed it...it has come out that its one that is driven by the gene so it looks like she will be having a full mastectomy as well as her ovaries removed...with Chemo stuck in the middle...So please say a prayer for Kari and her family it looks like she will be dealing with this over the next 6 months to a year...and Please if you have not had your Mammogram yet GET IT DONE!!!

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

December 27th, 2011, 4:39 pm #3

I can actually believe in fairytales again! I have found my soulmate. We are so much alike, we were raised in the same county, delivered by the same doctor and have the same values! He has a wonderful family that I adore. My son and his family adores him too. We are very blessed with our kids, dils and grands. We haven't set a date yet, but plan to get married soon. I've known him for about a year and half. I never thought anyone could nail my feet to the ground again, but I was wrong!

December 27th, 2011, 4:49 pm #4

I guess the biggest change in our life right now (well there are a couple) is that we went from a 2 adult 2 dog house, to a 5 adult 4 dog house, and quite frankly its driving me a bit buggy. DD is home from college right now, she will be going back to college soon.. so that will help...And anyone that has lived with a person with Aspbergers knows how inflexible they can be:> All the changes are bugging her too.
SS and GF also moved in with their 2 dogs...we swore we would not do this again... but now there is a baby that is going to be involved..
Since I believe all babies are blessings, this is the other good news we get to find out on the 4th if its a girl or boy, the downside of this is they are both so self oriented I really worry for this little one.. and financially they are so clueless...they are also not very nice to each other..:I also kind of believe they are here to learn...she is wanting to nest, but has no clue how to do things... so we are working on cooking and shopping frugally. At the end of our first shopping trip she was so amazed at how much food she had and that she still had money left...the 2nd trip they did on their own... did pretty well.

I am still working with K-1 special needs kids and still loving it...
DH and I both are trying to heal a bit... DH broke his leg in OCT and I was DXed with fibromyalgia about a week later... He is still a bit gimpy and I have good days and bad.. mostly depending on the stress levels in the house...

Our two dogs are constant joys and keep up sane I think... Gus the lab turned rottie/daschund has topped out at 95 lbs now and is about thigh level to me.. he is one very gentle giant...
Tucker the little English Springer spaniel I got on the steps of the Vets office it now 7 months old and going thru is juvenile delinquent phase... my yarn/ weaving threads are not safe... in fact NOTHING is safe...but he is a cutie...

My SIL was just recently DX's with breast cancer...and while they did catch it very early on and removed it...it has come out that its one that is driven by the gene so it looks like she will be having a full mastectomy as well as her ovaries removed...with Chemo stuck in the middle...So please say a prayer for Kari and her family it looks like she will be dealing with this over the next 6 months to a year...and Please if you have not had your Mammogram yet GET IT DONE!!!

My husband and 3 of my 4 kids have Asperger's. I DO feel your pain! Rigid thinking is only half of it and like my youngest son and I say to each other- "Us neurotypicals gotta stick together!" because Aspies have a way of making you feel like YOU are crazy and THEY are rational.

December 27th, 2011, 4:50 pm #5

The big thing this year was DH getting the job with the Congressman in March. I'm still Re-adjusting to not having dinner on the table for me every day. He still does the grocery shopping, and he sometimes tells me what to feed the children - but if it's up to me it's either breakfast for dinner or hot dogs and mac and cheese.

We're still plugging away at the cc debt, and this Christmas is the first time in years that the total balances are lower than they were last year at this time. and that's even with charging the new garage roof to the Home Depot card. Our Tax refund will cover that, and my mom's generousity at Christmas will catch us up to a point that we shouldn't fall behind again at all in 2012. (AND she insisted we use some of it to buy a freezer - so be prepared for ALOT of freeze canning questions come summer!)

Irene blew some holes in our roof, and the Lee rains that flooded our entire area a week later destroyed 20% of the contents of our attic - we still have buckets and no tarp, lack of contractors in general due to the high volumne of flood damage, and lack of contractors who call back is really starting to irritate me. Much of the inside of the attic roof now has mold and i'm sure we've lost some more stuff. which is fine - we have too much crap anyway.

My nine year old son's cat died (on the 5 yo's birthday) while he was in Germany. we found ourselves on the verge of being cat free for the first time in 18 years. Then Tommy wandered into my yard. I still swear he's going to my friend's home to be a barn cat (she's offered), but he does keep the other two warm at night, so maybe i'll wait till they die.... Though i refuse to say it out loud, i think i may have another 18 years of cat-dom in my future...

At work the boss left mid summer, still not replaced so I've been doing my job and his for almost 6 months, and it's taking it's toll on my sanity.

The children keep growing up; dd is 11.5 and upset with me that i haven't pre-screened reading Breaking Dawn for her (she (and i) whipped through the first three books in 4 weeks) but I think I'm gonna wait till we do the birds and bees before letting her read all about it in a Twilight book!

DS10 - grades are slipping, behavior is slipping (he has some temper issues) He is his father's son. He's a good kid who does some stupid things (honestly MINOR 10 yo boy stuff, but ALOT of it!)

DS5 - Everyone loves him - he is the sweetest kindest most loving little thing.... except for us, where he is Satan's Spawn. I've always said that pendulum swings to such high highs because of the depth of the negative swing! He IS the most adorable loving kid... when he wants to be. He is the culmination of my mom giving me the mother's curse.

I enjoy and revel in the mundane-ness of my life!!

December 27th, 2011, 5:14 pm #6

...you will probably be reimbursed for the stuff that was ruined. Do NOT throw it away until an adjuster has seen it. You might be surprised by its replacement value. Our college textbooks were ruined in a basement flood that was covered by the builder's insurance, and believe me...we did NOT replace them. We took the check and ran!

December 27th, 2011, 5:20 pm #7

we got the check for the roof itself - 1\2 of the delay in repair is our own fault.

we have to submit an seperate claim for the stuff - which i assumed was already taken care of.... sometimes i forget that he has a Y chromosome.... apparently the lack of a personal property claim is MY fault bc he didn't know where I'd put the list. let me amend that = he didn't know that I'd put the list in his "super important don't lose this pile" pile.

.... like i said... same old same old....

December 27th, 2011, 6:12 pm #8

The big thing this year was DH getting the job with the Congressman in March. I'm still Re-adjusting to not having dinner on the table for me every day. He still does the grocery shopping, and he sometimes tells me what to feed the children - but if it's up to me it's either breakfast for dinner or hot dogs and mac and cheese.

We're still plugging away at the cc debt, and this Christmas is the first time in years that the total balances are lower than they were last year at this time. and that's even with charging the new garage roof to the Home Depot card. Our Tax refund will cover that, and my mom's generousity at Christmas will catch us up to a point that we shouldn't fall behind again at all in 2012. (AND she insisted we use some of it to buy a freezer - so be prepared for ALOT of freeze canning questions come summer!)

Irene blew some holes in our roof, and the Lee rains that flooded our entire area a week later destroyed 20% of the contents of our attic - we still have buckets and no tarp, lack of contractors in general due to the high volumne of flood damage, and lack of contractors who call back is really starting to irritate me. Much of the inside of the attic roof now has mold and i'm sure we've lost some more stuff. which is fine - we have too much crap anyway.

My nine year old son's cat died (on the 5 yo's birthday) while he was in Germany. we found ourselves on the verge of being cat free for the first time in 18 years. Then Tommy wandered into my yard. I still swear he's going to my friend's home to be a barn cat (she's offered), but he does keep the other two warm at night, so maybe i'll wait till they die.... Though i refuse to say it out loud, i think i may have another 18 years of cat-dom in my future...

At work the boss left mid summer, still not replaced so I've been doing my job and his for almost 6 months, and it's taking it's toll on my sanity.

The children keep growing up; dd is 11.5 and upset with me that i haven't pre-screened reading Breaking Dawn for her (she (and i) whipped through the first three books in 4 weeks) but I think I'm gonna wait till we do the birds and bees before letting her read all about it in a Twilight book!

DS10 - grades are slipping, behavior is slipping (he has some temper issues) He is his father's son. He's a good kid who does some stupid things (honestly MINOR 10 yo boy stuff, but ALOT of it!)

DS5 - Everyone loves him - he is the sweetest kindest most loving little thing.... except for us, where he is Satan's Spawn. I've always said that pendulum swings to such high highs because of the depth of the negative swing! He IS the most adorable loving kid... when he wants to be. He is the culmination of my mom giving me the mother's curse.

I enjoy and revel in the mundane-ness of my life!!
I had one of those: my stepson was very bright, witty, talented in many areas and quite a charmer. Except with his Dad, me and his siblings. My Mom adored this kid and would always tell me "Oh, he's such a lovable boy!". She never could understand why I rolled my eyes and DH laughed when she said that. And he was, and is, a lovable "kid" (he's 45 now and has his own Satan's Spawn). But the growing up years were a bit trying.

December 27th, 2011, 6:28 pm #9

We are currently getting our roof replaced and soon to get a hot water heater. I am switching to a gas one. Maybe tankless maybe not. I am not sure yet.

I am getting geared up to be starting my ICU orientation at FAHC. It will be a big jump in level of care so I am both nervous and excited.....

The girls are doing fine in school and the only complaint I have is that they fight a lot.....I did with my sister so I am not totally shocked.

My mom is not talking to me still. I talk to my step father and know that she is asking for half of everything he has (even after shooting him)......it will most likely get messy down there for them. He is dreading it and I don't blame him. I still haven't told my children. I just say that they got in a fight and are divorcing and my mom is not happy with me for not choosing "her side" in it all.

I know that no matter what, my relationship with my mom will never be the same.........

Jim and I are doing great again. We had some rough times but life is looking up for me really this year! My goal for this year is to be a great ICU nurse!!!

December 27th, 2011, 10:12 pm #10

I still have my part time job and enjoy it most days. We have managed to stay well this year and only had to spend for prevented stuff. Which is good since honey has no insurance and mine is crap.

When we went through the big changes last year I had adjusted our budget to the lowest in years. Its worked out well and doesn't feel tight. What I found, was since I had to think more about spending there was lots I could do without. That and having no debt(this is big)has made this transition of our life calmer. Plus I don't mind making do and enjoying finding other uses for my stuff.

We have another mastiff. At work they say I keep getting the same dog. And you know we have had mastiffs for a few years. We have new neighbors that thought he was the same dog they saw as kids.LOL I tell them they all are different, some smarter than others. This one, Carl I would not have brought home because he was very shy and honey had to catch him. And my punishment for saying that is he seemed to be one of the smarter ones. And has latched on to me as his buddy. A funny is, he watches me and lays by my feet when I sit on the couch. We just started letting him sleep out of the crate because he is too big. Well I got up the other morning and there he was sleeping on the couch, looking very pleased with himself. None of the other dogs would get on the furniture or steal my covers.LOL

For my B-day I received a kindle and have really enjoyed it. One reason I'm staying off the computer.

This Christmas was a nice calm one for me. Couldn't think of one thing I wanted. I ended up with a box of yarn so I could work on a few projects as I watched tv.

I'm hoping next year is a happy easy year for all of us.