Home made ice tea.....

Home made ice tea.....

May 27th, 2012, 7:28 pm #1

Ok, this is probably a dumb question to those of you who make your own all the time... but I checked the recipe for iced tea on my box of tea- it calls for 6 bags of tea to make ONE quart of ice tea- can that be right? 12 bags to make 2 quarts seems a lot. These are just regualar- standard tea bags....

My BF likes bought iced tea... I want to make some to see if he will drink the home made. My mom always made really weak iced tea.... so I did not grow up having a good experience with home made... we always thought that the powdered stuff was great, lol!!!

May 27th, 2012, 8:12 pm #2

We usually have it with every meal. I use two family sized tea bags with a half gallon of tea, which I assume would be four small bags. You can always put a bag of flavored tea in there too or squeeze orange or lemon or some kind of juice in there. Or bruise some mint leaves and throw them in, if you want to get fancy cut up some fruit and throw it in too.

May 27th, 2012, 8:40 pm #3

Ok, this is probably a dumb question to those of you who make your own all the time... but I checked the recipe for iced tea on my box of tea- it calls for 6 bags of tea to make ONE quart of ice tea- can that be right? 12 bags to make 2 quarts seems a lot. These are just regualar- standard tea bags....

My BF likes bought iced tea... I want to make some to see if he will drink the home made. My mom always made really weak iced tea.... so I did not grow up having a good experience with home made... we always thought that the powdered stuff was great, lol!!!
To make a gallon, I use 3 bags of Lipton Cold Brew (its the family size bags) and 2/3 cup of sugar. I put the tea bags in a gallon jar with cold water and let it sit for a couple hrs at least, sometimes half a day. When it looks like brown water, I pour it in with the sugar and refrigerate. My family was drinking several gallons of Red Diamond tea and made this way they can't tell the difference! I got in on a deal where the tea was $1 a box where walmart has it regularly $2.86, I believe. Then I get the cheapest bag of sugar. We have quit drinking sodas and I keep 3 pitchers in the fridge all the time, we go thru this that fast. A box has 22 tea bags and so I can make 7 gallons, where as a gallon of tea bought already made, cost me as much as the box of tea bags at reg. price. I don't know how many 2/3 cups there are in 5 lbs of sugar, but sugar is usually on sale too.

May 27th, 2012, 9:57 pm #4

I only use 3 bags for a quart of iced tea. I like it plain and dh used to like it sweet once in awhile, but not all the time. So I made some simple syrup and kept it in a jar in the fridge so he can add it if he wants to, and you don't have to worry about it not dissolving like regular sugar.

Oh, I love the powdered kind!

May 28th, 2012, 12:32 am #5

Sheila,
I just bring an 8 qt pot of water almost to a boil, then shut off the stove. I add 8 tea bags, tied together (easier to fish out later)-doesn't matter if I am using herbal, regular, decaf of a mix, and let it steep. I pull out the bags, let the tea cool, then refrigerate. I don't feel that this is at all weak tea. I suggest that you try a qt of water and use 1 tea bag, kind of a sample experiment, although tea bags are cheap enough!

HTH

May 28th, 2012, 12:34 am #6

Boil 2-3 cups water - TAKE the water off the stove, drop 1 family size tea bag, per quart of tea, into the water to steep for 10 minutes.

If the tea bag is in the water and allowed to boil the tea will get bitter.

If we want sweet tea - we add a cup of tea to a half gallon of tea.

Good luck!
glendaMO

May 28th, 2012, 12:46 am #7

I use an iced tea maker and I think the pitcher is about 2 quarts. I use 2 family size Luzianne tea bags and it makes perfect tea in my opinion.
I have never mastered making tea on a stove in a pot. I always add to much water to it and it gets weak.
Jaime

May 28th, 2012, 2:36 am #8

I used to drink iced tea (unsweetened) but haven't had it in years since I switched to water. I do, however, still love hot tea and usually drink a cup of decaf black tea each morning. Luzianne decaf was always my favorite! I can't find small Luzianne bags here any longer; the stores only carry the family sized bags of that brand. Guess I need to have my mom in OK check for it.

May 28th, 2012, 4:27 am #9

My tea is not nearly so strong. lol I take one family size tea bag and pour a water boiler
full of water over that. Let it steep for about 10 min then add water to cool it off some.

I have always know that my mother did not get me back to Texas fast enough and the whole
tea thing proves it.

Missy

May 28th, 2012, 11:13 am #10

I made a 2 qt pitcher of tea, using 4 (kind of weak) herbal tea bags and 2 regualr ones (not family size) and 1/4 cup sugar. It tasted pretty good last night- it was still warm. Today I will have it over ice and see if it is strong enough to hold up to the ice!