"Hide a key" alternatives?

"Hide a key" alternatives?

April 25th, 2012, 3:18 pm #1

I was at Home depot today looking for an outdoor hide-a-key kind of thing.... They did not have anything suitable.... I don't like the idea of leaving one under the back door mat. I'm trying to come up with something I can make from stuff I already have here. Any ideas?

April 25th, 2012, 3:38 pm #2

Put the key in a jar, bury it shallowly, and poke a stick in the ground to mark it. The price is right on this one, too.

April 25th, 2012, 3:50 pm #3

I was at Home depot today looking for an outdoor hide-a-key kind of thing.... They did not have anything suitable.... I don't like the idea of leaving one under the back door mat. I'm trying to come up with something I can make from stuff I already have here. Any ideas?
can you leave a key with a neighbor? I did that in CA; my neighbors were retired and very friendly. They also pet-sit for me. I had to knock on their door more than once after locking myself out.

Also if you have an outdoor closet or shed maybe you can put it in there somewhere. I hid a key once by tucking in in the metal band around a hot water heater (on the backside of the heater).

maybe inside a bar-b-que pit

an idea for the car if you ever want a spare for that - get one of those sailor snap type key chains instead of the typical hideakey, and reach up behind the bumper and snap the keychain to the wires (or a bolt/hook if there is one you can use) going to the tail-light. It requires more of a reach and not in a place someone is likely to look. I've had hideakeys under the bumper or frame just disappear.

April 25th, 2012, 4:22 pm #4

I've had hide-a-keys disappear. Now I use copper wire to attach a key to the same place on each car on the passenger side. A snap key chain would be easier, but a strand of copper wire from electrical conduit was FREE.

April 25th, 2012, 5:17 pm #5

can you leave a key with a neighbor? I did that in CA; my neighbors were retired and very friendly. They also pet-sit for me. I had to knock on their door more than once after locking myself out.

Also if you have an outdoor closet or shed maybe you can put it in there somewhere. I hid a key once by tucking in in the metal band around a hot water heater (on the backside of the heater).

maybe inside a bar-b-que pit

an idea for the car if you ever want a spare for that - get one of those sailor snap type key chains instead of the typical hideakey, and reach up behind the bumper and snap the keychain to the wires (or a bolt/hook if there is one you can use) going to the tail-light. It requires more of a reach and not in a place someone is likely to look. I've had hideakeys under the bumper or frame just disappear.
and then had a tiff with the neighbor and never got my key back. lol

I hide mine in plain sight. I have a wind chime made of keys and I just replaced one of the keys with my key. A thief would break in the door rather than try every key on that thing to see if any work.

Edited to add: For Christmas, my mom gave me a hide a key thing that looks like a sprinkler head. Since I don't have a sprinkler system, I thought it might look a little obvious.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
Last edited by TxNet on April 25th, 2012, 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

April 25th, 2012, 6:54 pm #6

is what they had at Home Depot and I agree- if you have sprinklers then it might be fine, but I don't so it would be rather obvious....

April 25th, 2012, 8:54 pm #7

planter boxes that go on the top of the railing for the deck- I need to look and see if they fit my deck. I trash picked them... if so, I am thinking the jar idea would work.....

April 26th, 2012, 1:17 am #8

along the privacy fence of the back yard. It's above my head, I know where it is, the kids know where it is, we can reach it - but can't see it. It's just laying on one of the horizontal boards of the fence.
glendaMO

April 26th, 2012, 7:56 pm #9

I can't imagine!

in our last apt - we had a closet outside the apt door - the closet had a combination lock. the spare key was inside. The combo to the lock was On the door for family and friends in need "hubby's birth month. mom's age at middle child birth. my favorite number."

I don't keep a spare around outside, our house is pretty easy to break into with minimal damage.

April 26th, 2012, 10:44 pm #10

along the privacy fence of the back yard. It's above my head, I know where it is, the kids know where it is, we can reach it - but can't see it. It's just laying on one of the horizontal boards of the fence.
Mine is under a strip of duct tape in a smiliar place. nt