Help me plan amounts of food for an Anniversary Party..

Help me plan amounts of food for an Anniversary Party..

June 11th, 2012, 12:41 am #1

My husbands only sibling, his sister decided we should throw a 40th anniversary party and vow renewal for their parents. She is a teacher and broke and borrowing money from these parents all the time. But yet her plans for this wedding were VERY extravagant, $300.00 worth of fresh flowers, $150.00 for vases!!! I was not paying half of that!! So I got livid and said we are paying for the cake, punch, drinks, food and paper products. I was hopeful that me taking full control of those items I could get by cheaper than paying half of her budget. Yes, I sound bitter about this, I do not get along with my in-laws and doing something them PAINS me!! Plus, my parents had a 50th anniversary party and paid for it themselves!! okay...enough venting...... (sorry)
Party is also 3 days after I arrive in Indiana from my trip to Colorado and Utah. Giving me 2 days to shop for the food and prepare it all. They wanted hot appetizers. I was adament we had to put an end time to this party on the invitations so people knew it wasn't a meal. It is from a little after 2:00 on a Saturday until 5:00 pm. They invited 125 people. I have no idea how many batches of everything to make. If anyone could give me any clue that would be great. I don't want to run out of food but I don't want to have tons left in the kitchen never touched.
My menu:
hot spinach/artichoke dip
meatballs w/ sauce
cold black bean, corn and tomato salsa
2 different kinds of cheese balls
vegetable tray and dip
pretzels
chips for the dips
crackers
Cheese tray w/ cubed or sliced cheeses
Grapes and Strawberries (scratching the strawberries if they are too expensive)

So like should I make 2 of each cheese ball and put one and out have extra in the fridge or do I need to make 3 of each?? They would just be normal size cheeseballs. I guess I'll need do double or triple the black bean salsa recipe?? I have just NO idea at all how much to make. I bought those metal trays with sterno cans to warm the spinach dip and meatballs. Not even sure how much spinach dip to figure. If one batch in the metal pan is enough or if I would have to refill it.
We will also have plenty of cake, punch, nuts and mints.
Her budget for the cake was $300.00. I got it for $165.00 with my sister making it, she's done alot of big cakes before. The budget for the food was $300.00 and I don't think that sounds far off. She had $60.00 for paper products, it's cost me over $150.00!! Come to find out she only priced plates and forks....um what about cups, napkins, trays for servings food etc?
sorry venting again.....
Any help?

June 11th, 2012, 1:37 am #2

Look at your recipes. How many servings? Multiply by the number of people you expect. Now there's the hard part--how many do you expect? Is this a drop-in deal, or are you getting RSVPs?

Tell SIL to buy the flowers at Costco and arrange them herself.
Last edited by MaxineS on June 11th, 2012, 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2012, 2:07 am #3

It's just a drop in deal and no RSVP's. I didn't see the guest list so I assume some of these people live out of town and wouldn't come.
I figure if I took every recipe and multiplied it by the number of people we expect we would have way too much food because everyone wouldn't put everything on their plate would they? Like at this party I would never take meatballs because I hate them!
Jaime

June 11th, 2012, 4:04 am #4

Ask your favorite SIL to go over the guest list and estimate how many people she thinks will come. (Unfortunately, you can't do this in a vacuum). Prepare a little over half the amount of food you would need if people ate a full serving of everything. Prepare more meatballs than you think--most people do like them, also the leftovers could be eaten for dinner (not by you, of course!). And they freeze well. Cheese balls that don't get put out also would freeze well for the holidays. Instead of putting all of the food out at once, bring it out as needed.

We did a 40th anniversary for DH's parents and we're really glad we did--his dad only lived another year. And they had eloped, and never had a wedding and reception. Lots of friends and all of their relatives came. They chose not to renew their vows. This was a cake and punch reception. A few hours later, all of the relatives came back and we had a big potluck, with me providing 4 big pans of lasagna. We didn't have a party for our 40th because DS was supposed to be getting married that year..... Oh, well!

June 11th, 2012, 2:06 pm #5

My husbands only sibling, his sister decided we should throw a 40th anniversary party and vow renewal for their parents. She is a teacher and broke and borrowing money from these parents all the time. But yet her plans for this wedding were VERY extravagant, $300.00 worth of fresh flowers, $150.00 for vases!!! I was not paying half of that!! So I got livid and said we are paying for the cake, punch, drinks, food and paper products. I was hopeful that me taking full control of those items I could get by cheaper than paying half of her budget. Yes, I sound bitter about this, I do not get along with my in-laws and doing something them PAINS me!! Plus, my parents had a 50th anniversary party and paid for it themselves!! okay...enough venting...... (sorry)
Party is also 3 days after I arrive in Indiana from my trip to Colorado and Utah. Giving me 2 days to shop for the food and prepare it all. They wanted hot appetizers. I was adament we had to put an end time to this party on the invitations so people knew it wasn't a meal. It is from a little after 2:00 on a Saturday until 5:00 pm. They invited 125 people. I have no idea how many batches of everything to make. If anyone could give me any clue that would be great. I don't want to run out of food but I don't want to have tons left in the kitchen never touched.
My menu:
meatballs w/ sauce
vegetable tray and dip
pretzels
chips for the dips
crackers

So like should I make 2 of each cheese ball and put one and out have extra in the fridge or do I need to make 3 of each?? They would just be normal size cheeseballs. I guess I'll need do double or triple the black bean salsa recipe?? I have just NO idea at all how much to make. I bought those metal trays with sterno cans to warm the spinach dip and meatballs. Not even sure how much spinach dip to figure. If one batch in the metal pan is enough or if I would have to refill it.
Her budget for the cake was $300.00. I got it for $165.00 with my sister making it, she's done alot of big cakes before. The budget for the food was $300.00 and I don't think that sounds far off. She had $60.00 for paper products, it's cost me over $150.00!! Come to find out she only priced plates and forks....um what about cups, napkins, trays for servings food etc?
sorry venting again.....
Any help?
Do you have a Gordon Food Service nearby? If you do, go there and ask. They have software estimating how much for how many guests. HTH.

Amy

June 11th, 2012, 2:08 pm #6

My menu:
meatballs w/ sauce
vegetable tray and dip
pretzels
chips for the dips
crackers

sorry venting again.....
Any help?
I hate being volunteered to spend my money by other people! This has happened to us multiple times recently, some have been things we'd of done w/o being prompted and some were things that we should not have been responsible for at all. ie. without our knowledge, someone purchased flowers for a funeral, and expected us to pay $80 for them - we had already purchased a nice flower arrangement ourselves for the funeral, and spent more than that for it. Had we known the expectation was for us to pitch in for these particular flowers we probably wouldn't have purchased the other flowers, but would have done something different. We didn't know of the expectation to pay for them until a couple weeks after the funeral! Do we have the same family?

If you haven't already purchased all the paper products, I'd suggest going to this website and ordering online. I was very pleased with the things I ordered for dd's wedding from them, and we'll be using them for my parent's anniversery and my oldest dd's wedding later this year. http://smartyhadaparty.com/

How you display things, will make a difference in how much is eaten, so make the cheaper items, or items you have the most of, easiest to get to or place those appetizers in front of the food line.

Most folks are going to put about 2T of spin dip on their plate x 100 (or guestimate as to how many will show up). There are 16 T in a cup, so approx 8 servings - 12 cups would provide 96 2 TBSP servings - like the meatballs, some folks will skip over the spin dip. Running out isn't the end of the world, you've got other food.

I'd make 2.5 meatballs/expected guest.

I agree that 2 of each cheeseball would be fine as well.

Veggies and cheese are where I always seem to really overestimate my need, because they are foods that MY crowd eats in abundance. I can sit a pound of cheese cubes and crackers out and it'll all be eaten in one sitting, before a meal. Tip, regardless how much you decide to get - Ask the deli where you purchase it, to cube it for you, a good deli department will cube it no charge, and it'll make your job much easier.

The best veggie dip hands down, according to my family is ranch dressing - made using the Hidden Valley mix, mayo and milk, like on the package. I make it by the quart, every week. At dd's wedding, there was a LOT of veggies eaten. Carrots, cukes, tomatos, are easy to prepare, and inexpensive - I love colored peppers, and always add them for color, although they do cost more. I'd plan to fill a 9 inch platter 3-4 times with veggies.

Fruits are like veggies, difficult for me to judge how much to get, but for 100 people I'd plan to fill a 9 inch platter a couple of times - sliced oranges are colorful, and easy, and kids love them.

glendaMO

June 11th, 2012, 5:28 pm #8

My menu:
meatballs w/ sauce
vegetable tray and dip
pretzels
chips for the dips
crackers

sorry venting again.....
Any help?
In my limited experience, you'll have 40% attendance from the invitations sent, especially for a birthday or anniversary party in mid afternoon. But it also depends on the age of the attendee, because younger people have a lot going on every weekend, but older people generally don't. But older people also don't eat a lot. Dh threw a surprise bd party for his mother last Saturday and only 5 people came, other than us. They were mostly older people and we only had cake and fruit trays. The older ones barely ate cake, and the rest of us had two piece. lol

If it isn't at your house, taking hot food is a pain. We did that for dd's wedding because she insisted on appetizers in crock pots. Even on low, by the end the stuff was all hard as a rock and tons left over and in the trash. I'd say take stuff that will be easy to stick in the freezer after it's over. People coming to an anniversary party really only expect cake and bowls of snacks, I bet.

If I sound like a downer, sorry. I wasn't happy about dh planning this birthday party when he totally skipped our anniversary on Wednesday.

Oh, and if I felt the way you did, and with my current attitude, I'd tell the sil that a 40th anniversary is stupid, but I'd help with the 50th. I can guarantee no one in my family will even call on my 40th.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
Last edited by TxNet on June 11th, 2012, 5:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 11th, 2012, 6:22 pm #9

I don't know anyone who celebrates their 40th unless one of them is ill and not expected to live to their 50th.

My parents have their 50th this year, but they are requesting no party - unless it's just immediate family. They've mentioned a trip, we'll see what becomes of it.
glendaMO

June 11th, 2012, 6:47 pm #10

In my limited experience, you'll have 40% attendance from the invitations sent, especially for a birthday or anniversary party in mid afternoon. But it also depends on the age of the attendee, because younger people have a lot going on every weekend, but older people generally don't. But older people also don't eat a lot. Dh threw a surprise bd party for his mother last Saturday and only 5 people came, other than us. They were mostly older people and we only had cake and fruit trays. The older ones barely ate cake, and the rest of us had two piece. lol

If it isn't at your house, taking hot food is a pain. We did that for dd's wedding because she insisted on appetizers in crock pots. Even on low, by the end the stuff was all hard as a rock and tons left over and in the trash. I'd say take stuff that will be easy to stick in the freezer after it's over. People coming to an anniversary party really only expect cake and bowls of snacks, I bet.

If I sound like a downer, sorry. I wasn't happy about dh planning this birthday party when he totally skipped our anniversary on Wednesday.

Oh, and if I felt the way you did, and with my current attitude, I'd tell the sil that a 40th anniversary is stupid, but I'd help with the 50th. I can guarantee no one in my family will even call on my 40th.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
We did not celebrate our 40th anniversary, but we threw a big party (our idea) for my inlaws' 40th. We did it because my MIL was one of the youngest in her family, and we didn't think some of her siblings would live to see her 50th. Especially Aunt Fern, who was in her mid-70s. As it turned out, Fern lived to be 97, but FIL died the next year at 66. (He had a heart attack while elk hunting). I say, have a party when you can and enjoy it! People in the family still talk about this event...and not in a bad way, LOL.

We have friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses. They don't celebrate birthdays or holidays, but they do celebrate anniversaries. We went to their 50th last December and it was great. All of the younger people were talking about the various anniversary parties they'd been to, and they weren't talking 50th. Third or 10th or.... A couple months later, we were back in Oregon for DH's aunt's funeral. It was our friends' DD and SIL's 20th anniversary and we got invited to a big (20+ people) family barbecue in their honor. They got presents, too!