Have you put frozen chicken in a crock pot recipe?

Have you put frozen chicken in a crock pot recipe?

August 9th, 2012, 4:44 pm #1

Does it take longer to cook, and if so how much? I've seen a recipe for BBQ chicken with corn on the cob, and I've got the corn but keep forgetting to thaw the chicken. So I wonder if I could just put the chicken in frozen, cook for an hour and then put in the corn?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

August 9th, 2012, 9:08 pm #2

but I've cooked a lot of frozen meat in the crockpot. It doesn't work that well with stewing hens unless you cook them for a LONG time on high. They want to be boiled and boiled and boiled.

I can't see that it would be that much different. I'm a lackadaisical cook, though.

August 10th, 2012, 1:27 am #3

My questions with that were 1) if you bought a frozen chicken (and most are here), how would you get the plastic package of parts out of it? and 2) if you bought a fresh chicken, wouldn't it be easier to cook it while it was still fresh?

------

August 10th, 2012, 2:52 am #4

What a joker! Next you'll be saying something like fresh fish!

The only place I can really get whole fresh chicken is Costco in a three pack and if I do that - which isn't often- I cook them all then freeze them.

I mostly buy stewing hens when they are 99 cents/ lb which is a lot less than half price. All you do is run cold water over the top of the chicken until the plastic releases then cut the bag off. You can't always get the bag of guts out and sometimes I just ignore it until it is thawed. Sometimes you only have to run water inside the chicken and the bag will come out easily, too.

August 10th, 2012, 12:53 pm #5

Does it take longer to cook, and if so how much? I've seen a recipe for BBQ chicken with corn on the cob, and I've got the corn but keep forgetting to thaw the chicken. So I wonder if I could just put the chicken in frozen, cook for an hour and then put in the corn?

------
My very expensive ceramic crockpot insert cracked. When I researched why I came to the conclusion that cooking frozen meat in a crockpot can crack the ceramic insert. Since I no longer can take the meat directly from the freezer crockpot cooking is less convenient now.

August 10th, 2012, 2:45 pm #6

Doesn't seem like putting them both in cold would do it. But I'm having second thoughts now.

------

August 10th, 2012, 3:25 pm #7

and lived to tell the tale. The crockpots I've had all survived no problem.

August 10th, 2012, 4:17 pm #8

Doesn't seem like putting them both in cold would do it. But I'm having second thoughts now.

------
I put the meat in frozen and then turned the crockpot on.

August 10th, 2012, 4:21 pm #9

I think I remember (when researching the cracked crockpot issue) the USDA does not recommend cooking frozen meat in a crockpot.

August 10th, 2012, 5:02 pm #10

I've done it with partially thawed beef or pork, or patially thawed chicken parts, but i wouldn't do it with a whole frozen solid chicken. the meat has to reach a certain temp within a certain time frame to inhibit bacterial growth. it won't do that in a crock.

(this from the lady that thaws her chickens all day on the counter bc the fridge takes a week!)