Great article on cooking vs fast food

Great article on cooking vs fast food

September 26th, 2011, 6:28 pm #1

followed a chain of threads to this article, not sure if it started here or elsewhere. but worth posting again if so

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/09/25/opini ... d=fb-share

September 26th, 2011, 9:43 pm #2

reinforces what we've all known all along.
glendaMO

September 27th, 2011, 12:26 am #3

followed a chain of threads to this article, not sure if it started here or elsewhere. but worth posting again if so

If you have time to get in your car and go through the drive through you have time to make a meal! The same goes for if you have enough money for the drive through- you have enough money to feed your kids a proper meal.

September 27th, 2011, 4:31 pm #4

And it should be mandatory in middle school. Teach kids how to make simple meals since their parents don't seem to know how. Teach them to make beans and rice and bread...basically meals from inexpensive ingredients that don't spoil (grains, beans, powdered milk/eggs/cheese, canned vegetables, spices). Use the school's wholesale buying power to start a school coop of those EXACT ingredients that the kids learn to use and sell to the parents at wholesale prices.

September 27th, 2011, 5:52 pm #5

I( don't know if it's necessary to teach kids to cook cheap, but SOMEBODY needs to teach them to cook! As I look back, my home ec classes are what I use every single day of my life. It was required in 7th and 8th grade. I wish I'd taken a year of it in high school, too. Didn't think it was important then. Ha! Kids also need to learn personal finance.

September 27th, 2011, 7:20 pm #6

If you have time to get in your car and go through the drive through you have time to make a meal! The same goes for if you have enough money for the drive through- you have enough money to feed your kids a proper meal.
I've hit the drive thru onthe way home from work, where i pick the kids up from daycare and the oldest changes into his baseball uniform in the car on the way to the game; while they all three eat. the drive thru takes up 4 minutes of my commute.

Better planning on my part and bringing some cold dinner to work with me to feed them in the car on the way to the game would certainly be the better choice. But making that dinner the night before - after we get home from scouts or choir and do homework and dishes and laundry and....

well it just doesn't always happen.

(and it pisses me off too!)

September 27th, 2011, 7:30 pm #7

And it should be mandatory in middle school. Teach kids how to make simple meals since their parents don't seem to know how. Teach them to make beans and rice and bread...basically meals from inexpensive ingredients that don't spoil (grains, beans, powdered milk/eggs/cheese, canned vegetables, spices). Use the school's wholesale buying power to start a school coop of those EXACT ingredients that the kids learn to use and sell to the parents at wholesale prices.
They were called FACS (Family Arts & Consumer Science). My son learned some basic cooking skills and sewing (which he LOVED!). He was really excited for the next level of classes in the 8th grade, but they cut the program. Indiana schools, like most states I'm sure, are running on a fraction of what they did previposly. Classes like this are being cut unfortunately.

September 27th, 2011, 9:07 pm #8

I've hit the drive thru onthe way home from work, where i pick the kids up from daycare and the oldest changes into his baseball uniform in the car on the way to the game; while they all three eat. the drive thru takes up 4 minutes of my commute.

Better planning on my part and bringing some cold dinner to work with me to feed them in the car on the way to the game would certainly be the better choice. But making that dinner the night before - after we get home from scouts or choir and do homework and dishes and laundry and....

well it just doesn't always happen.

(and it pisses me off too!)
If you have time to leave home and go to through the drive through you have time to cook something at home. Obviously, sometimes people eat out, but I think most of the time a person could have gone home and had a cheaper, healthier meal. There is no drive through anywhere in this city that I can be through in 4 minutes- so for me it would always be fster to eat at home or stop at the supermarket and get food there - which is what we do on trips.

September 28th, 2011, 12:14 pm #9

My youngest is in 8th, and for the life of me, I'm not sure he has any home ec this year, I don't think so. (I know I should know, but my mind has been really preoccupied the last few weeks, lol)He did in 7th, and he is always cooking something anymore. He needs to stay busy, so he's added cooking to his list of activities to keep himself occupied. He makes some darn good omelets! At one point he insisted on making a 5 layer cake ..it almost worked, lol. It was sooo funny over the summer he baked a cake or brownies every time hubby and I left the house. It was like a surprise party everytime we came home, lol.

He's cooked with me some before, but I do credit his home ec class with his recent interest. I'm working with him to teach him things beyound baking, like an actual meal. It sure will be nice not to have to bake my own birthday cake, though, lol.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I live my life in celebration that I've got a life to live.
Last edited by SingingSkies on September 28th, 2011, 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

September 28th, 2011, 2:08 pm #10

Maybe your kid will be the next Martha Stewart! When you come home to one of his surprise parties and he has made a centerpiece and place cards, you'll know.

A lot of boys like cooking. Mine did, and at 33 he is one of only a few of his friends (male and female) that cooks. He is better about cleaning up as he goes than I am--but one of his roommates, years ago, had cooked in a restaurant, and he got it from him.
Last edited by MaxineS on September 28th, 2011, 3:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.