GPS Units-Any recommendations and are they worth it?

GPS Units-Any recommendations and are they worth it?

May 11th, 2011, 2:18 pm #1

We have maps in the cars and use mapquest for specific directions. However I know a lot of people have GPS units. For those who have them, are they worth the money and do you have any recommendations?

I've started doing more driving for volunteer work and my teenage son is hoping to get a job that requires driving so I was thinking it might be time to get one.

May 11th, 2011, 2:33 pm #2

Look at the reviews and the features. I live in SoCal, so one of the features I decided I wanted was lane change assist. That has turned out to be awesome around here. It'll do stuff like in two miles keep to the left, followed by a keep to the left... This for when the highways split and them immediately split again. SoCal sucks for signage too. Half the exits don't have exit numbers on them, and the other half don't have street names. So invariably I look at google and write down exit 36 - then I get down in that area and realize this is an area where they don't have numbers on the exits. Anyway...

I recommend Costco if you have one. They have a great return policy. I started with a Garmin and returned it after three days because it totally butchered the spanish street names around here. I returned it for a Magellan and have been quite happy with it. TomTom has some neat features, but it had a really big negative that I wasn't ready to risk - they do updates of course to the maps about every two years. When I was looking to buy (mid 2009) the TomTom had a limited memory and couldn't hold the new map updates without serious deleting of files. I'm not into hacking devices, and that would obviously be an ongoing issue so I skipped on that one. Hopefully that is not a problem with the newer models.

Amazon is a great place for reviews and learning about stuff like the language barriers, memory barriers, etc.

So, pick the features you want and then look to see who will meet those requirements.

May 11th, 2011, 4:44 pm #3

We have maps in the cars and use mapquest for specific directions. However I know a lot of people have GPS units. For those who have them, are they worth the money and do you have any recommendations?

I've started doing more driving for volunteer work and my teenage son is hoping to get a job that requires driving so I was thinking it might be time to get one.
We let my sister use it when she and mom were joining us at MIL's in DE for thanksgiving.

FIL called while we were on the road to tell us I95 was shut down south of philly, WE knew another way, my sister did not.

Apparently, my TomTom wouldn't let my sister ask for a detour. so we got out a map and had her reprogram the thing to get to city a, then city b, then city c. MY tomtom wouldn't let you put in multiple destinations like that so she had to keep re-programming it when she reached each detour city.

but for the turns into and IN my MIL's developement, my sister could have found her way with a paper map just as well.

but it can get me from south street in town to noble street 6 blocks away, just fine.

and it hasn't had us turn into any Lake or river; but i do need to make sure i'm not turning the wrong way onto a one-way street.

I'd do alot of research and read alot of reviews before I bought one on my own. (ours was a gift)

May 11th, 2011, 5:32 pm #4

I bought one when they first came out, and bought a second one about 18 months ago or so. My first one was bare bones; it didn't even announce street names! My favorite feature is continuous traffic updates......the first thing I do before my evening commute is hit "Go Home" on the Garmin and it tells me the fastest way to get home given current traffic conditions. So cool. My Garmin DOES have a detour feature, I'm told.....a friend used it when she borrowed it, and she found that very helpful.

I was already spending money on "Hudson Guide" street map books every couple of years anyway, so I didn't feel that this was money down the drain. It's not a necessity by any means but it's a very convenient device, especially when traveling.

PS: Your phone MAY have a GPS program imbedded in it that's included in your monthly phone rate. My HTC Tilt phone does....I've never bothered to try it though, since that phone is a work phone and everything I use GPS for is personal, and I don't like to mix those two worlds where technology is concerned.

May 11th, 2011, 7:41 pm #5

Got a Garmin nuvi 2 years ago on clearance because it was a light pink color- guess they were changing the color or something... I LOVE it! It seldom needs updates unlike my Exs Tom Tom which seems to need them all the time.

May 11th, 2011, 7:47 pm #6

I love my android phone.

It has a built in Navigator, that works with Google Maps. We've used it locally, and when we were in Florida. I love everything about it, except the annoying voices....... dh says I don't like anyone telling me how to drive, lol!

The only time it's gotten confused, we were at an intersection of multiple interstates/highways, on different levels, it thought we were on the wrong road - however, we could look and tell we were on the road it told us to be on, so we ignored it for 30 seconds or so, and were fine.

If you get sent on a detour, it will try to get you to make a u-turn to return to the original mapped out directions, but once it realizes you aren't turning around for a minute, or two, but it doesn't take long for it to recalculate and provides accurate directions from where you are.

I like the fact that it updates regularly, as updates go to Google maps, my phone is updated, so info isn't years old.
glendaMO

May 11th, 2011, 8:08 pm #7

Got a Garmin nuvi 2 years ago on clearance because it was a light pink color- guess they were changing the color or something... I LOVE it! It seldom needs updates unlike my Exs Tom Tom which seems to need them all the time.
Although it does get confused in mountains, and a couple of weeks ago it insisted I was at Kirklands when it took me to a nursing home.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 12th, 2011, 3:30 am #8

I received a TomTom 2 years ago as a Christmas gift and I love, love, love it! When I moved for school, I used him all the time - now I know my way around more . You can ask for alternate routes if you are stuck in traffic - but I think there is a way for Tom to alert you that it is coming up - I can't remember right now. But what I like the best? USER FRIENDLY. I would recommend it and it is well worth the money I think.

Amy

May 12th, 2011, 5:02 am #9

...so a GPS system was perfect for him! I surprised him with a bare bones Garmin Nuvi (doesn't announce street names) for his birthday a couple of years ago, and he loveslovesloves it! I noticed that Amy's is a "he"--ours is a "she," LOL. We love to take it with us when we travel. We've used it on the Big Island of Hawaii, Lincoln NE and San Diego, and it has never steered us wrong.

May 12th, 2011, 10:21 am #10

I love my android phone.

It has a built in Navigator, that works with Google Maps. We've used it locally, and when we were in Florida. I love everything about it, except the annoying voices....... dh says I don't like anyone telling me how to drive, lol!

The only time it's gotten confused, we were at an intersection of multiple interstates/highways, on different levels, it thought we were on the wrong road - however, we could look and tell we were on the road it told us to be on, so we ignored it for 30 seconds or so, and were fine.

If you get sent on a detour, it will try to get you to make a u-turn to return to the original mapped out directions, but once it realizes you aren't turning around for a minute, or two, but it doesn't take long for it to recalculate and provides accurate directions from where you are.

I like the fact that it updates regularly, as updates go to Google maps, my phone is updated, so info isn't years old.
will travel.
but it is almost scary! LOL. I used it a year ago leaving a friend's house in Alabama to find the highway easier. Quite country area and lots of backroads etc. Returning a month later I figured I could use it to at least get partway there so simply put in the road I wanted. It remembered, I was told by my son, where we'd started out the last time I was on that road and took me to his driveway entrance. Long road. Very handy but did set me back a bit! LOL

Myra in West Texas