going rate for petsitters?

going rate for petsitters?

November 16th, 2011, 2:59 pm #1

teenage ones, not licensed and bonded... Would $10/day be in the ballpark?

November 16th, 2011, 3:12 pm #2

Unless pet-sitting only means going in once a day to check on/feed the cats. You can always ask the kid how much they want. If it's under $10 (because they are a beginner and don't know what it is worth), you can up it a bit.

The cheapest kennel in my area charges $12.50 per day for dogs, and you provide your dog's own food. I'm not sure what she charges for cats. I have heard there is a kennel that charges $25 per day per dog! The cheapest live-in pet-sitters get $35 per day and $40 is more common and $45 is not unheard-of. This is for feeding and caring for all of the animals--there are usually a couple--cleaning cat boxes as needed, and spending the night.

Then there is my son. He pet sits for friends FREE. He sleeps in their bed and lets the dog sleep with him...... He has had visiting dogs at his house. Although he doesn't benefit monetarily, they all do things for each other. "What goes around, comes around."

November 16th, 2011, 3:15 pm #3

I have a good friend who has a petsitting business. She's not bonded but she does do it for a living. She charges $15 plus sales tax for a 1/2 hour visit. You can use that 1/2 hour for a dog walk OR a house visit that includes cat care/plants/mail. If a client has more than one dog to walk, I think she charges an extra $5 or something like that.

She charges clients $45/day plus tax to sleep at their house with the dog and walk them three times a day.
Last edited by DarcyMae on November 16th, 2011, 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

November 16th, 2011, 3:58 pm #4

The last time I paid a teenager, it was $10 a day, just to come once a day and fill the dog's bowl, and she picked up the mail. This was a girl who lived down the street so there was no driving expense for her. I thought it was high at the time, but it was my only option if I didn't want to put the dog in a kennel.

------
The road to success is always under construction.