Glenda and Tnetter, how did the weddings go?

Glenda and Tnetter, how did the weddings go?

May 29th, 2012, 12:47 pm #1

And Tnetter, what happened with the parking and dishes?

May 29th, 2012, 1:02 pm #2

nt

May 30th, 2012, 3:38 am #3

It was really hot, like 96 hot, and we got to the place an hour before the wedding. Not a parking place open on the block. The groom had taken one spot near the location, and he didn't offer to move his car so we could unload from there. So dh, me, my bil, both dd's, and the groom's brother schlepped 100 dishes, and a couple of totes of food from parking places around the corner.

I was proud of dd though. She was upset, but she didn't go ballistic. The owner or manager of the place said he called a tow truck, but we never saw one. Saw two cars with tickets, and one was still there when the wedding was over. I hope the fines are doozies.

Other than that, it was really nice. I messed up and gave dd#1 the bride's bouquet and she went up to the front with it, so dd#2 walked up without it. Dd#1 didn't hand it to her until after the wedding. And the groom's family wanted to leave before the "party" was over, and since that was 70% of the crowd, groom's mother wanted everyone out on the sidewalk to do the send off with bubbles while there were still a lot of people there. Dd didn't want to do it at that time, and then come back inside to finish her party, but she did.

Dh & I got there on Thursday and dd had decided not to order food trays from the store, deciding that it wouldn'tl be a big deal for us to make our own trays. So I spent all day Friday washing the dishes we would use, and the fruit and veggies. Saturday was her bachelorette party and she invited me, dh, and my mom not to come, so I called groom's parents and took them out to dinner. They had taken both families out Friday night. We got to know them a lot better without the kids there.

The kids went to the groom's house after the wedding, and the rest of us went to dd's new house. She had 7 people staying at her house on air mattresses. My nerves couldn't have taken it, but it didn't bother her a bit. Monday morning, we got up and dh shuttled everyone else to the airport and friends' hotels, and I went to the laundromat to wash all the cloth napkins we had used at the wedding, as well as all her towels and sheets so they wouldn't have to do that when they got home. I knew she was out of towels when I saw Christmas hand towels in the bathoom. lol

It took me until noon to wash 6 sets of sheets, all the towels, and 100 napkins, and the laundromat had no a/c. While I was there, dh started washing all the plates we had used at the wedding, and he was just finishing when I got back with the laundry. Then we cleaned up her house, made her bed, emptied trash and the refrigerator, and left. Dh said he wanted to take a shower; we had both sweated through our clothes, but I told him dd was coming home to a clean house, so we just turned up the a/c in the car until we dried.

The kids will be home Friday and my new sil wants to spend the weekend moving his stuff into the house. Dd doesn't want to, but they have no furniture in the living room and he doesn't have any clothes there, so I think they will have to compromise.

And that's it for our story. No one got cold feet, no one had a meltdown, and no one cried. All good. I told dd#1 we would pay her off to elope.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 30th, 2012, 3:36 pm #4

I got a good chuckle when I read your statement "I told dd#1 we would pay her off to elope." I know the feeling. Weddings are stressful.

I planned and made all the food and the cake for dd#2. The wedding was at our house in Dec. It was a LOT of work. For DD#1 wedding I helped plan,decorate and pitched in money. My son is getting married in October 2013 and I have not done a thing for it! I am thrilled!! We plan on paying 1/4 of the wedding costs. It is such a relief.

May 30th, 2012, 7:59 pm #5

It was really hot, like 96 hot, and we got to the place an hour before the wedding. Not a parking place open on the block. The groom had taken one spot near the location, and he didn't offer to move his car so we could unload from there. So dh, me, my bil, both dd's, and the groom's brother schlepped 100 dishes, and a couple of totes of food from parking places around the corner.

I was proud of dd though. She was upset, but she didn't go ballistic. The owner or manager of the place said he called a tow truck, but we never saw one. Saw two cars with tickets, and one was still there when the wedding was over. I hope the fines are doozies.

Other than that, it was really nice. I messed up and gave dd#1 the bride's bouquet and she went up to the front with it, so dd#2 walked up without it. Dd#1 didn't hand it to her until after the wedding. And the groom's family wanted to leave before the "party" was over, and since that was 70% of the crowd, groom's mother wanted everyone out on the sidewalk to do the send off with bubbles while there were still a lot of people there. Dd didn't want to do it at that time, and then come back inside to finish her party, but she did.

Dh & I got there on Thursday and dd had decided not to order food trays from the store, deciding that it wouldn'tl be a big deal for us to make our own trays. So I spent all day Friday washing the dishes we would use, and the fruit and veggies. Saturday was her bachelorette party and she invited me, dh, and my mom not to come, so I called groom's parents and took them out to dinner. They had taken both families out Friday night. We got to know them a lot better without the kids there.

The kids went to the groom's house after the wedding, and the rest of us went to dd's new house. She had 7 people staying at her house on air mattresses. My nerves couldn't have taken it, but it didn't bother her a bit. Monday morning, we got up and dh shuttled everyone else to the airport and friends' hotels, and I went to the laundromat to wash all the cloth napkins we had used at the wedding, as well as all her towels and sheets so they wouldn't have to do that when they got home. I knew she was out of towels when I saw Christmas hand towels in the bathoom. lol

It took me until noon to wash 6 sets of sheets, all the towels, and 100 napkins, and the laundromat had no a/c. While I was there, dh started washing all the plates we had used at the wedding, and he was just finishing when I got back with the laundry. Then we cleaned up her house, made her bed, emptied trash and the refrigerator, and left. Dh said he wanted to take a shower; we had both sweated through our clothes, but I told him dd was coming home to a clean house, so we just turned up the a/c in the car until we dried.

The kids will be home Friday and my new sil wants to spend the weekend moving his stuff into the house. Dd doesn't want to, but they have no furniture in the living room and he doesn't have any clothes there, so I think they will have to compromise.

And that's it for our story. No one got cold feet, no one had a meltdown, and no one cried. All good. I told dd#1 we would pay her off to elope.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
A few weeks before the wedding I was wishing I had. Glad yours turned out OK and nobody melted down.

May 31st, 2012, 1:36 am #6

It was FANTASTIC!

I am thankful that dd wasn't bridezilla, instead, she wanted to have a fun party, and didn't care one bit how things were decorated, what the colors were, or about the flowers.

The actual ceremony was family only - but the party began a couple hours later. The kids, dh and I pulled together dinner, that was simple, fun foods that the kids liked, but enjoyed by everyone in attendence. The hits of the evening were the s'mores and glass bottles of grape and orange soda.

We went through the guest list, and estimated who'd show up, and we guessed w/in 4 people - it was nice to see the room full, and everyone visiting, and laughing, and celebrating together.

DD's MIL wanted them to have a wedding cake, although the kids made it clear they didn't have any desire for a cake - but had requested a couple of their favorite cookies, cheesecake, and a chia cream dessert that they enjoy. There were probably not 3 pieces of cake eaten, including the piece they cut and fed one another (which they would have gladly passed on). They weren't interested in keeping the top layer for their first anniversery, which shocked her, but Emily and Matt both said something to the effect of 'We don't have any desire to try to eat a cake a year from now that we've transported 1500 miles in 90 degree weather, and frozen for a year.' They were simply NOT interested in the traditional part of the ceremony/reception as she'd of liked them to have been - but they went along with it to make her happy. (I doubt that she was happy about having 3 layers of cake to get rid of after the reception though.) The oldest dil got a kick out of the fact that they stood up to her and didn't let her insist they take the top layer of the cake to Florida with them, and she REALLY enjoyed the frozen slush punch that Emily wanted. Apparently MIL is fond of fruit punch/7up and sherbert punch, and it meant that all 3 dil's had happily avoided it. In the end, MIL was pleased with the day, and happy for the kids, so I think the lack of tradition was quickly forgiven.

glendaMO

May 31st, 2012, 1:54 am #7

I attended another family wedding this week of a young couple who were happy to be married. My son and his wife attended the wedding with us, and made a unique observation. It was a nice wedding, large outdoor barn setting decorated to the hilt with flowers, lights, ... a nice dinner, dance, fireworks, 3 photographers, a videographer, ...

My son made this observation...

"It doesn't seem right, that the wedding should cost more than the ring."

Dh suggested that we'd raised our kids a bit on the conservative side, lol.
glendaMO

May 31st, 2012, 4:43 pm #8

My 30-year-old cousin was married 2 weeks ago in a lovely ceremony with a wonderful reception--most of which she did not have to pay for. Her mother bought her dress ($900--YIKES), her aunt and cousin bought the flowers, her Dad paid for the reception (~$10-11K) and various other relatives, including me, paid for other items. DH and I split the cost of 2 cases of champagne with the bride's parents, DH and I hosted the rehearsal dinner at our home, I made the place cards and the bows for the chairs, etc., etc. 2 weeks before the wedding the bride's mother called to ask me to pay for something else (I've blocked it from my mind, though I seem to remember it was something inconsequential). MOTB (mother of the bride) was shocked when I calmly said "No. I. am. through. spending. money."! This wedding cost more than my 2 step-daughter's weddings put together! My SIL, who is the most down-to-earth person I've ever met, said "Isn't the MARRIAGE more important than the wedding?". She also refers to the whole affair as "The Royal Wedding".

May 31st, 2012, 4:51 pm #9

I can't believe that they expected you to pay for parts of your cousin's wedding. Seriously? And after you were hosting the rehearsal dinner? Jeeze. People are amazing.

I remember telling my DH that on the day of the wedding, nothing else matters but that you enjoy the day. A wedding can be the most elaborate and beautifully decorated event on the planet, but if the bride and groom don't seem happy, it's just a big FAIL. We didn't let anything bother us on our day and it we'll always remember it as one of the funnest days of our lives.

June 1st, 2012, 2:00 am #10

DD nor the groom were into the Wedding scene, they just wanted to be married - thus the wedding was a very non event attended by siblings and parents - the reception was a celebration, in which the bride and groom wanted others to come help them celebrate the beginning of their lives together.
glendaMO