garden?

garden?

June 29th, 2012, 3:39 pm #1

How grows your garden in this drought? We planted only a few plants, and I am so glad. I can't imagine trying to water the size garden we've had in past years. This is really do-able. Don't know that we'll have enough to put much by, but we've been getting overwhelmed the last few summers anyway and letting a lot go to waste. It feels good to have a small garden that is also successful! We've got some Romas on, still very green, and some teensy weensy green peppers. A jalapeno or two that are ready to pick. The rest is still working on just coming up. How 'bout you?

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33

June 30th, 2012, 2:48 am #2

but I do have mint and lemon balm... all my seed starts died out except 2 lettuce plants.... Thankfully I did find a mobile fresh food pantry where this week I got 1 lb of zukes, 2 lbs of cukes, 2 lbs sweet potatoes, a giant cabbage and 2 bags of tomatoes ... the tomatoes I made into yummy bruchetta, we already ate half the zukes and 1/6th or so of the cabbage in stir fry... I see more cabbage into cole slaw and the zukes into bread as well as the tomatoes into BLTs tomorrow!

June 30th, 2012, 9:28 am #3

What a cool idea! Glad you were able to take advantage of that. So you are still looking for cabbage ideas? Luckily, it lasts for weeks in the fridge!

June 30th, 2012, 10:03 am #4

How grows your garden in this drought? We planted only a few plants, and I am so glad. I can't imagine trying to water the size garden we've had in past years. This is really do-able. Don't know that we'll have enough to put much by, but we've been getting overwhelmed the last few summers anyway and letting a lot go to waste. It feels good to have a small garden that is also successful! We've got some Romas on, still very green, and some teensy weensy green peppers. A jalapeno or two that are ready to pick. The rest is still working on just coming up. How 'bout you?

Blessings,

Bethann

We have tomatoes 1 early girl, 1 amish paste, 6 roma, 2 brandywine; Hungarian wax and sweet bell peppers; green beans growing. 4 cantalope and 2 watermelon, onions, swiss chard, brussels sprouts, red cabbage and zucchini

I have been watering it some, but we also have gotten fairly regular thunderstorms. More wicked ones last night

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
I live my life in celebration that I've got a life to live.

June 30th, 2012, 12:57 pm #5

Blessings,

Bethann

We have 2 raised beds each about 4'x4'. This year we planted broccoli, cabbage, lettuce, tomato, beets, cucumbers, eggplant, carrots, spinach and chives. Every thing is growing nicely. The little ones like to help me water.

June 30th, 2012, 4:36 pm #6

Blessings,

Bethann

Tomatoes, okra, black-eyed peas, beans, onions, squash and potatoes.

June 30th, 2012, 8:30 pm #7

Blessings,

Bethann

And those next to the house so they get some water. But the grasshoppers are bad this year and have eaten all the leaves off the peppers.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

July 1st, 2012, 9:04 pm #8

Makes me a bit homesick!!

July 1st, 2012, 9:15 pm #9

What do you have under shade?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

July 2nd, 2012, 8:46 pm #10

With the gunny sacks on top it lets the water drip dry on them, and shades against this brutal heat!