Furnishing the cabin

Furnishing the cabin

June 20th, 2011, 4:23 am #1

I think I've bought every single thing we need for the cabin except for a TV stand--and we might hang it on the wall. Not counting the TV, which was a gift, I ended up spending right around $2,000 to furnish and equip the place. Yes, that includes the 10 wool blankets, LOL.

Some of you may recall that my budget was $1,000. I probably would have made it--or come awfully close--except that I never found a good used sofa and I bought fabric for curtains. We ended up buying a classic brown leather sofa at Costco for $690. About two weeks ago, I found the sofa of my dreams, clean and in good condition, for $135! "All good things come to he who waits," and I got in a hurry. My latest furniture find was a wooden glider rocker for $18 that was just dirty. (It's clean now). It was marked $35 at St. Vinnie's, but Tuesday is "Let's Make a Deal" day and that's the deal I made.

Other than the sofa, the only new stuff I bought were towels and two $40 folding Adirondack chairs and a picnic table and chairs for about $80. Everything else was duplicates from my house and giveaways from friends or bought at thrift stores and yard sales. Two friends gave me their grandmothers' wool blankets (from the '30s) because they knew I'd appreciate and treasure them more than their kids would. I am busy repairing the bindings on the various blankets now. I need to get busy painting some of the furniture.
Last edited by MaxineS on June 20th, 2011, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

June 20th, 2011, 8:48 am #2

you did really well and it sounds like you saved lots of money and had fun.

June 20th, 2011, 4:41 pm #3

I think I've bought every single thing we need for the cabin except for a TV stand--and we might hang it on the wall. Not counting the TV, which was a gift, I ended up spending right around $2,000 to furnish and equip the place. Yes, that includes the 10 wool blankets, LOL.

Some of you may recall that my budget was $1,000. I probably would have made it--or come awfully close--except that I never found a good used sofa and I bought fabric for curtains. We ended up buying a classic brown leather sofa at Costco for $690. About two weeks ago, I found the sofa of my dreams, clean and in good condition, for $135! "All good things come to he who waits," and I got in a hurry. My latest furniture find was a wooden glider rocker for $18 that was just dirty. (It's clean now). It was marked $35 at St. Vinnie's, but Tuesday is "Let's Make a Deal" day and that's the deal I made.

Other than the sofa, the only new stuff I bought were towels and two $40 folding Adirondack chairs and a picnic table and chairs for about $80. Everything else was duplicates from my house and giveaways from friends or bought at thrift stores and yard sales. Two friends gave me their grandmothers' wool blankets (from the '30s) because they knew I'd appreciate and treasure them more than their kids would. I am busy repairing the bindings on the various blankets now. I need to get busy painting some of the furniture.
Hate that you missed out on the sofa though. Not because of the cost, but because it was the kind you really wanted.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

June 21st, 2011, 1:35 pm #4

polish your odd brass lamps or leave them? What color did you decide on for your Adirondack chairs? Are you done collecting your moose and apple dishes?

And, um, I guess it's really, really cold there for you to need 10 wool blankets! lol

June 21st, 2011, 2:20 pm #5

Not really, but I wanted 2 per bed. I have two queen size, one twin, a double futon and a sofa.

I haven't polished the lamps yet, but I bought the polish. It's an all-purpose metal polish. Maybe I'll take them up there today and give it a shot. I was all set to paint one Adirondack chair red and one turquoise, but the porch swing has wide dark green and white striping. Any suggestions?

Yes, I'm done collecting moose dishes, but I'd buy two more apple dishes if I found them. I have 8 apple dishes and 10 of everything in moose. I ran across a bunch of moose dishes last week and actually passed them by! I also ran into another wool blanket and passed it by! Never thought I'd do either one, LOL.

BTW, all of the kitchen stuff and stuff hanging on the walls, etc., are included in the $2,000.

I would like to post pictures, but it seems like every time I figure it out, either Photobucket or my browser changes. I'm at a loss right now--will try to figure it out later.

Last edited by MaxineS on June 21st, 2011, 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2011, 3:45 pm #6

If so, I'd make that cushion red, or a couple of throw pillows in red & yellow, and then paint one chair red and one yellow. But if no cushions, and you want the colors to blend, you could stripe the chairs the way the swing is, but in red and white.

Edited to add: I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't put turquoise with dark green. lol

------
Last edited by TxNet on June 21st, 2011, 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

June 21st, 2011, 5:42 pm #7

I think your original idea of red & turquoise would look ok, unless you fancy doing one of them lime green - but would that just look like you were trying too hard?

Looking forward to these photos!

June 21st, 2011, 6:35 pm #8

If so, I'd make that cushion red, or a couple of throw pillows in red & yellow, and then paint one chair red and one yellow. But if no cushions, and you want the colors to blend, you could stripe the chairs the way the swing is, but in red and white.

Edited to add: I guess what I'm saying is that I wouldn't put turquoise with dark green. lol

------
The frame of the swing is varnished wood--oak, I think. The cushion is wide white and dark green stripes. I agree, turquoise is out for one of the Adirondacks. Both red? Or do you have a better suggestion?

June 21st, 2011, 6:40 pm #9

I'd choose red....but then I love red....a really, really vibrant red. And then I'd make some cushions with outdoor fabric with red, yellow and dark green in the design for use on the chairs.

June 21st, 2011, 6:42 pm #10

Thanks! I hadn't thought far enough ahead on cushions. And "red is mah signature colah"!