FS May Day 4

FS May Day 4

May 4th, 2012, 10:37 am #1

Friday! My day involves going back to the dentist for some rework on that filling I got last week. While in that area there are 2 thrift shops I am going to go check out that I have never been to before.

Lunch will be the last of the lasagna and dinner will be over at my moms- that changed my plans a little, she called and invited us for dinner, so I don't have to cook!

May 4th, 2012, 11:56 am #2

Last night we signed a contract on a house. So today I'll try to line up inspectors and start taking another hard look around to see if there's more we don't need that we can get rid of. If all goes well, we will close at the end of May and have several weeks to rip out carpet, etc, before having to move in our stuff. In a really boneheaded move, I forgot about the good faith deposit coming up and had to transfer money from our online savings bank to our checking bank, which takes 3 business days. Incredibly, they said they'd take a postdated check so we could still get everything rolling yesterday. So I realized I really need a savings account at our checking bank to use as an emergency fund instead of relying on our more long-term savings for that.

The high is supposed to be 85, so too hot for my usual challah baking. I only made it to one grocery yesterday so today I'm going to finish grocery shopping, stop at the great (and really cheap!) Italian bakery for a loaf to have with dinner, and hit the thrift shop nearby. I'm thinking chicken on the grill, a green salad, broccoli and bread for dinner.

About the Italian bakery, it's a huge supplier in the area and it really is so cheap that I'll probably buy hoagie rolls, dinner rolls and bread there through the hot weather instead of baking it. It's also fun to stop there because you can see the bread rolling out of the oven and on to the mesh conveyor belt where it takes a ride around the upper perimeter of the factory to cool off. And they always give ds a hot dinner roll to eat on the way home.

It's funny, when we first moved to NJ I thought the price of food was quite a bit higher here. Now I've figured out the best places to shop and my grocery bill is back down.

May 4th, 2012, 1:28 pm #3

Hope it all works out with no snags!

Today, I have been working on my resume. Ugh. Will start applying for jobs over the weekend. Heading to lunch with friends today, then doing the usual cleaning, laundry, etc. Might find time to read my book though. I started Fall of Giants by Ken Follet. Awesome book so far!

May 4th, 2012, 1:36 pm #4

Friday! My day involves going back to the dentist for some rework on that filling I got last week. While in that area there are 2 thrift shops I am going to go check out that I have never been to before.

Lunch will be the last of the lasagna and dinner will be over at my moms- that changed my plans a little, she called and invited us for dinner, so I don't have to cook!
Yesterday I got some planting done in the garden, dh has clever ways of doing everything! To plant seeds, we lay down boards, then make a trench along the board. This keeps rows straight and once the plants pop up we take up the boards.

I believe my baby chicks are already bigger, its like they grow right before your eyes!! It's pretty entertaining sitting on the tailgate watching them!!

My x-roommate is moving out of state, so my ds and I have been helping him get rid of stuff and pack what he's taking. One doesn't realize how much you have till you get ready to move!! Ds bought all his tools and I bought a washer and dryer and freezer. He's not taking hardly anything so he's gave up all kinds of stuff. I'll use the washer and dryer to offer laundry service to the rvers.

Today I plan to help with more packing and then one of grands has a t-ball game, then need to visit mom and dad at nursing home.

Everyone have a Great Day!!

May 4th, 2012, 2:57 pm #5

I just got a check for almost $600 from the county. It took a few hours of spreadsheet effort and some help from the accounting dept at work and a few months worth of patience but it worth the effort. The local metro/county authority has an occupational privilege type tax - the spreadsheet was to figure out the time I worked outside of the county in 2011 and get a refund for that time. I told myself going forwards I would log the time into a spreadsheet every trip, but I just opened my spreadsheet to take a glance and the last time I logged time in it was mid-Jan. Behind already!

May 4th, 2012, 3:00 pm #6

Hope it all works out with no snags!

Today, I have been working on my resume. Ugh. Will start applying for jobs over the weekend. Heading to lunch with friends today, then doing the usual cleaning, laundry, etc. Might find time to read my book though. I started Fall of Giants by Ken Follet. Awesome book so far!
apparently the new thing is to NOT put an objective on the resume - it's considered outdated. Instead have a brief summary of your qualifications. Good luck!

May 4th, 2012, 3:07 pm #7

And today is the last day they are making pennies. I feel a little sad about that.

May 4th, 2012, 3:37 pm #8

First of all, congrats to Sandy! Hope everything works out perfectly on the house! Also, PJ, I just love your posts--you sound so happy! Best of luck to Sheila at the "new" thrift stores.

I skipped swimming yesterday because (1) I realized I was having a good hair day, LOL and (2) between going and coming, changing and an hour in the pool, it takes 2 hours, and I actually felt like I'd do some housework if I stayed home--and I did! The only driving we did yesterday was a trip to the prosthetist for DH. DD and I went with him and while he was in his appointment, we returned $200 worth of merchandise to Costco and Sears. We went to Sears to return two Land's End swim suits that didn't fit (I reordered one to fit in the style I liked best) and saved about $8 in return postage. Since I would have had to go to the post office to mail it, going to Sears was a wash.

Today is Friday, the only day that DD doesn't go to the developmental disabilities center, so we all slept in today--only half an hour for me, but I enjoyed every second! No plans to go anywhere today except to take DD to Special Olympics practice tonight. While she is practicing, I'll hit the grocery store with my list. DD cooked dinner last night and there were lots of leftovers, so we'll either have a really good lunch today or leftovers for dinner.

Over ahttp://frugalincornwall.blogspot.com/, Froogs made an apron in an hour. I only started wearing aprons "late in life" (after 50) when I got tired of trying to get grease spots out of my clothes. I could use some new aprons and I have lots of fabric, so I might try to cut one out, if not sew it. I will probably sew and turn my ties vs. raw edges and zigzag...Miss Russell, my 8th grade home ec teacher, would have a fit if I didn't! I also think this would be a great gift item, especially if you added some embroidery. Anybody working on Christmas gifts yet?
Last edited by MaxineS on May 4th, 2012, 3:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 4th, 2012, 3:55 pm #9

Yesterday I got some planting done in the garden, dh has clever ways of doing everything! To plant seeds, we lay down boards, then make a trench along the board. This keeps rows straight and once the plants pop up we take up the boards.

I believe my baby chicks are already bigger, its like they grow right before your eyes!! It's pretty entertaining sitting on the tailgate watching them!!

My x-roommate is moving out of state, so my ds and I have been helping him get rid of stuff and pack what he's taking. One doesn't realize how much you have till you get ready to move!! Ds bought all his tools and I bought a washer and dryer and freezer. He's not taking hardly anything so he's gave up all kinds of stuff. I'll use the washer and dryer to offer laundry service to the rvers.

Today I plan to help with more packing and then one of grands has a t-ball game, then need to visit mom and dad at nursing home.

Everyone have a Great Day!!
I've always wanted chickens, but I don't know if I could bring myself to butcher and eat them after taking care of them. I loved my grandmother's chickens and ducks. Geese, not so much. Bees would be neat too. Beekeeping seems fascinating.

May 4th, 2012, 4:04 pm #10

Last night we signed a contract on a house. So today I'll try to line up inspectors and start taking another hard look around to see if there's more we don't need that we can get rid of. If all goes well, we will close at the end of May and have several weeks to rip out carpet, etc, before having to move in our stuff. In a really boneheaded move, I forgot about the good faith deposit coming up and had to transfer money from our online savings bank to our checking bank, which takes 3 business days. Incredibly, they said they'd take a postdated check so we could still get everything rolling yesterday. So I realized I really need a savings account at our checking bank to use as an emergency fund instead of relying on our more long-term savings for that.

The high is supposed to be 85, so too hot for my usual challah baking. I only made it to one grocery yesterday so today I'm going to finish grocery shopping, stop at the great (and really cheap!) Italian bakery for a loaf to have with dinner, and hit the thrift shop nearby. I'm thinking chicken on the grill, a green salad, broccoli and bread for dinner.

About the Italian bakery, it's a huge supplier in the area and it really is so cheap that I'll probably buy hoagie rolls, dinner rolls and bread there through the hot weather instead of baking it. It's also fun to stop there because you can see the bread rolling out of the oven and on to the mesh conveyor belt where it takes a ride around the upper perimeter of the factory to cool off. And they always give ds a hot dinner roll to eat on the way home.

It's funny, when we first moved to NJ I thought the price of food was quite a bit higher here. Now I've figured out the best places to shop and my grocery bill is back down.
Sounds like a lot of work ahead of you.

------
The road to success is always under construction.