FS May day 17

FS May day 17

May 17th, 2012, 11:21 am #1

Today I am planning to give my kitchen/DR and LR a good cleaning. My parents are coming over for dinner. I already thawed the lasagna. Mom is making salad and garlic bread and I have an ice cream cake that has been sitting in the freezer for too long.... The workmen (handymen) are finally don''e with my house, until that one last, special order door comes in) it's nice to have the place back to just us. DD is off school today....

May 17th, 2012, 11:49 am #2

Today I'm helping with the book fair at school at lunchtime and then in the library in the afternoon. Dh had dinner with a friend from out of town last night and my first try at black beans and rice made a huge amount so we're having leftovers for dinner tonight. Next time I'll make less, and use Penny's technique of browning the rice first. I do that with bulgur pilaf but didn't think about it with rice.

Today we should hear back regarding the house we want to buy. The seller has been busy getting estimates and will probably come up with a dollar amount he'll take off and we'll decide if we want to go ahead or not.

The weather is really lovely. It's great to have all the windows open and enjoy the fresh air.

May 17th, 2012, 2:15 pm #3

Today I am planning to give my kitchen/DR and LR a good cleaning. My parents are coming over for dinner. I already thawed the lasagna. Mom is making salad and garlic bread and I have an ice cream cake that has been sitting in the freezer for too long.... The workmen (handymen) are finally don''e with my house, until that one last, special order door comes in) it's nice to have the place back to just us. DD is off school today....
My morning was spent finishing up laundry and getting things organized before I leave on a trip to visit my highschool BFF in San Antonio! Left dh a list of the kid's activities, a list of quick dinners to make, and the kid's a reminder of what needs to be done while I'm gone (I don't want my poor little dog to starve!). This afternoon I have a sub job. When I come home, I will finish up my packing.

May 17th, 2012, 3:05 pm #4

No place to go today, and that's good. I did a little bit of PUPA last night, and I'll do more today. Also, I have to make the last of the follow-up calls for the bee. And, there is always laundry...always. The weather is nice enough to hang things out, and that's a task I actually enjoy.

I might rearrange my freezer today to get a better handle on exactly what I've got. I think we are down to a turkey, some chicken tenders and a whole chicken, plus one steak. I told you we've been eating out of the bottom of the freezer and the back of the pantry. However, it got me through the "broke" months after Lulu's surgery, and I can afford to restock it now. Not all at once, of course, but I can buy extra sale meat each week to build up my supply.

The riding mower quit again last night while DH was in the middle of mowing, and he says he is through. The tractor works, but the mower is continually breaking down. The tractor is 14 years old and too old to spend much money on accessories. Should be able to get $200-$300 for it as-is. So, I'll be digging through Consumer Reports today to see what they recommend.

Also, he discovered a plumbing leak the other day and last night he tracked it down to an elbow of plastic pipe that was glued. It has ruined some drywall in the kitchen basement that will have to be repaired. I'm going to call the plumber to fix it, because if DH does it (and he is capable), he will tear up the whole ceiling to get to it. And he isn't much of a drywall man....

May 17th, 2012, 3:50 pm #5

My morning was spent finishing up laundry and getting things organized before I leave on a trip to visit my highschool BFF in San Antonio! Left dh a list of the kid's activities, a list of quick dinners to make, and the kid's a reminder of what needs to be done while I'm gone (I don't want my poor little dog to starve!). This afternoon I have a sub job. When I come home, I will finish up my packing.
I'm still in regular contact with my 2 BFFs from high school, people are amazed we've kept in touch the entire 30 years.

May 17th, 2012, 3:55 pm #6

And if it's not too late on the way home, I might stop at the pharmacy and pick up my RX. But it can wait til tomorrow so no big deal if I blow it off. After shopping, then cooking supper, I might just veg in front of the TV tonight. I'm feeling run ragged at the moment so that might be the best option. If I do that I'll probably get some knitting done as well.

May 17th, 2012, 8:19 pm #7

I'm still in regular contact with my 2 BFFs from high school, people are amazed we've kept in touch the entire 30 years.
There is a group of 5 of us who see each other pretty regularly. One girl I have known since 1st grade. The girl I'm going to visit has been my best friend since we were 14 and met in Yearbook class our freshman year.

May 17th, 2012, 9:01 pm #8

I hope to take a vacation next year to see a friend I grew up with from the age of 2, til we were 12 when I moved to Florida. We have been in contact sporadically over the years but Facebook is helping us stay connected at this point.

May 18th, 2012, 12:32 am #9

Yesterday I cooked a turkey breast in the crockpot. I sent DH with turkey for lunch today. I also I had 2 packages of turkey for the freezer. I used the leftover stock and scraps along iwth some veggies and rice to make soup.

I hung 2 loads of laundry on the line.

I have been using fabric on hand on make new valances for the living room. I have 3 of 5 done. I found enough shades on hand to go with the valances.

I had an old rainbow vacuum that I put on the curb today and it was taken. It freed up some much needed closet space.

I finished a flower bed today by transplanting a few more over grown perennials.

May 18th, 2012, 1:11 am #10

I've got a couple that are too tight to go up and down. I know that you can tighten the tension by taking off the shade, unrolling it all the way, and re-rolling it back up. But that is the opposite of my problem--they are stuck in the up position. I tried unrolling them, but when I rolled them back up, the tension was just as tight as before.

Can these shades be saved???