FS May day 15

FS May day 15

May 15th, 2012, 12:27 pm #1

Tuesday... time to drop my car back at the garage.... not gonna be frugal, lol! Other than that, not much planned. Looks like another rainy day here. I'll be car-less for a few days probably...

May 15th, 2012, 1:07 pm #2

I'm helping with the Scholastic Book Fair at school today. Dinner will probably be veggie quiche and salad.

We had the inspection for the house Saturday and it revealed a couple of issues with the house that we didn't suspect, plus the ones we already knew about. So we drew up a list of items for the seller to fix, but we're thinking he'll probably decline to fix most of them and we'll back out. In NJ the seller isn't required to provide a disclosure, and he didn't. This is a relative with power of attorney, not someone who actually lived in the house so he was probably clueless about any problems. But now that he's had an inspection he'll be required to disclose the results, so he may be willing to renegotiate the price with us. We should find out in a day or two. There's not much else on the market right now that is at all appealing, unfortunately.

May 15th, 2012, 1:07 pm #3

Tuesday... time to drop my car back at the garage.... not gonna be frugal, lol! Other than that, not much planned. Looks like another rainy day here. I'll be car-less for a few days probably...
I need to make an appointment for mine, too. Still having power steering problems.

I have a swimming lesson this morning, following by a spelling bee meeting. Yesterday I made 12 phone calls to follow up on "trolling for sponsors" emails, and need to make about that many more today.

Other than that--housework, yardwork and cooking. Plus a stop at the store--our milk went sour. Looks like another bee-yoo-ti-ful day here. Edited to add--primary election day today, gotta vote!
Last edited by MaxineS on May 15th, 2012, 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

May 15th, 2012, 1:15 pm #4

I'm helping with the Scholastic Book Fair at school today. Dinner will probably be veggie quiche and salad.

We had the inspection for the house Saturday and it revealed a couple of issues with the house that we didn't suspect, plus the ones we already knew about. So we drew up a list of items for the seller to fix, but we're thinking he'll probably decline to fix most of them and we'll back out. In NJ the seller isn't required to provide a disclosure, and he didn't. This is a relative with power of attorney, not someone who actually lived in the house so he was probably clueless about any problems. But now that he's had an inspection he'll be required to disclose the results, so he may be willing to renegotiate the price with us. We should find out in a day or two. There's not much else on the market right now that is at all appealing, unfortunately.
If it's not really serious issues, you can ask for a credit to go towards repairs and take care of it yourself. If it's something serious like bad termite damage or similar, if it were me I'd just back out.
LisaCNC

May 15th, 2012, 1:53 pm #5

But one of the issues is that the mudroom addition where we were hoping to add a second bath isn't structurally sound enough to do that. We'd have to rip it off and start over. So he'd have to offer enough to take care of the other issues for me to be tempted to buy the house now and one of the issues, partial old wiring, is going to be expensive.

If he brings back any offer that's short of everything we asked for we'll be able to back out and get our deposit back. We'll be out the money for the engineer and termite inspector, but that will be money well spent. Amazingly for a 100 year old home in this area there isn't any insect damage.

May 15th, 2012, 2:03 pm #6

This morning I have colored my hair, washed and folded 3 loads of laundry, and cleaned out my purse. I found 8 gift cards with a total of $34.35 left on them. They are from various places, but now that I am aware of them I will make sure they get used. This afternoon I will be subbing in a Kindy class. Not my favorite grade level, but the teacher is a friend and I said I would do it for her. Dinner will be chicken alfredo and green beans.

May 15th, 2012, 6:48 pm #7

My daughter's best friend is in town for the week. They're coming over for dinner, as well as at least one of my friends and possibly more. I'm making Spanish rice and black beans in tortillas.

I have a doctor's appointment at 3:30, hopefully all I'll have to pay is the $25 co-pay. I'm only losing half an hour of pay at work, I skipped lunch to make up the time lost. Well, truth be told, I didn't actually skip lunch. I ate at my desk.

Last night on my wy home from Girls' Night I dropped my library books into the drop box to avoid late fees. I wasn't finished with one of them but I was bored with it. If I finish with the doctor's appointment early enough this afternoon, I'll go check out some new stuff.

I need to work on some homework but I won't have time for that today.

May 15th, 2012, 9:43 pm #8

so then it could be archived??? Pretty please : )

May 16th, 2012, 8:43 pm #9

I estimate that I spent about $4 last night to feed 7 people. I cooked the beans from dry and made the Spanish rice from scratch. I bought 1 package of tortillas and had half a pack in the freezer. We didn't eat all the tortillas, and there were leftovers for lunch today for my daughter and her kid. I also made a pitcher of iced tea, and my daughter made coffee after dinner. Not sure how much those cost but if I'm over the $4 mark it's not by much!

My step daughter's BFF almost wouldn't try it, she said she doesn't like beans. But she did anyway, to be polite, and ended up eating 3 burritos! LOVED it, including the beans. My friend that ate with us told me later, she has never liked Spanish rice. But she's learned to taste anything I put in front of her, it may be unfamiliar but it's usually yummy. She also loved this meal, she had 2 of them.

The recipe is pretty simple and forgiving.

Spanish Rice

Saute some diced onion and bell pepper, along with 1 1/4 cup of rice, brown or white (I prefer white in this), in a pot with some oil or butter. When the veggies are softened and the rice smells a little nutty, add some garlic. Then add 2 cups of broth or boullion (I like beef but use whatever you have), a 29 oz can of tomato sauce, 1 teaspoon of chili powder and a little oregano or italian seasoning. If you didn't use boullion you might want to add some salt too. Bring to a boil, reduce to simmer. Cook til rice is done, white rice about 20 minutes and brown rice about 50 minutes, stirring occasionally.

To serve this in tortillas I usually add a few cups of black beans, which is what I did last night. Add them at the same time as the liquids. If you use canned beans, rinse and drain first.

Another thing my hubby loves is for me to brown some pork chops and then let them cook in the pot with the rice. Makes it a little hard to stir the rice as it cooks but you can manage.

May 17th, 2012, 2:44 pm #10

Penny- what size tortillas do you wrap these in? I usually use the smaller ones- 6 inch? 8 inch? And they are fine for when you are cooking them with sauce- the ends remain open but we just eat those with a fork and knife. I am wondering if you are using bigger wraps then that? Do you roll them and then serve or let everyone roll their own? I am picturing big ones that people can pick up and eat with their hands?