FS Feb say 22

FS Feb say 22

February 22nd, 2012, 1:01 pm #1

one week left to this month....

I have been tracking my grocery spending really well for the last 2 months. Can't wait to finish up this month so I can see where it lands, but right now it's looking like I average $110 a week for groceries... I'm pretty pleased with that amount, and for me that includes everything I buy at the grocery store- including dog food, toitetries- I know some people keep those items seperate....

Today my dd has a mid day apt, but that is my only running. Last night I cooked a lot- made meat loaf/mashed potatos and green beans for dinner last night. For dessert we finished off the (cream of wheat recipe) home made-brownies. I was so into cooking that I cooked dinner for tonight- beef chop suey, it's really good. All I need to do for tonight is make a pot of rice and maybe some dessert- but I am thinking something simple like (box) pudding.

Yesterday I also finished a financial aid form that I needed to do for the kids for camp. I mailed that off... here's hoping I qualify.... that would be a big help.

One week left of February....

February 22nd, 2012, 1:08 pm #2

I went to the bank yesterday. My e-fund is now fully restored and I am working on my goal of increasing it by $500 more....

February 22nd, 2012, 1:21 pm #3

I have been tracking my grocery spending really well for the last 2 months. Can't wait to finish up this month so I can see where it lands, but right now it's looking like I average $110 a week for groceries... I'm pretty pleased with that amount, and for me that includes everything I buy at the grocery store- including dog food, toitetries- I know some people keep those items seperate....

Today my dd has a mid day apt, but that is my only running. Last night I cooked a lot- made meat loaf/mashed potatos and green beans for dinner last night. For dessert we finished off the (cream of wheat recipe) home made-brownies. I was so into cooking that I cooked dinner for tonight- beef chop suey, it's really good. All I need to do for tonight is make a pot of rice and maybe some dessert- but I am thinking something simple like (box) pudding.

Yesterday I also finished a financial aid form that I needed to do for the kids for camp. I mailed that off... here's hoping I qualify.... that would be a big help.

I just haven't had the courage to add it up, LOL. Seriously, since we were gone for half the month, February doesn't really count. If anyone has a good system for dealing with receipts, I wish they'd tell me!

Dinner last night was $1.62 lb. New York steaks, frozen sweet potato fries and corn. Except for traveling, I've cooked every meal but one at home since the week before Thanksgiving. I think it has been mainly changing my mindset that I have other options than to cook. Things are back to where they were for the first 25 years I was married. Then, I KNEW I didn't have any other options if we wanted to eat!

I DON'T have to cook tonight. My family is taking me out for my birthday...to a favorite place where we have a $25 coupon from restaurant.com. Have to admit, that factored into the choice.

DH tore apart the entertainment center last night and just has to put it back together. He ripped off the DVD cabinet to make room for a bigger TV. There are slots in the wood where the uprights joined the horizontal pieces...if that makes any sense. He would like to repair them, but honestlythe TV takes up so much room that they will never show.

Our van is in the shop today. Same thing it was in for a couple of months ago--power steering issues. I hope they find the problem this time--and that it's cheap! Well, a girl can dream. The van is 9 years old and has 130,000+ miles on it.
Last edited by MaxineS on February 22nd, 2012, 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 22nd, 2012, 2:33 pm #4

I have a paper to find that we wrote measurements of how much electrical wire we to buy. Talk about something expensive.

I need to unload the picup, we have chicken feed, bird feed and some bird feeders that need to be put up. I'm sure the birds are cussing me for not having anything for them to eat during that snow. The chickens too, I forgot to gather eggs last night.

I need to do my state taxes.

I have to go back to nursing home today, mom was terribly lonely yesterday. Dad just kept feeling and looking at my hands, it reminded me of when he was so bad in icu and I could only sit there and hold his hand.

I need to go by the library and make some phone calls.

Then I've got to remember to pick up step dd after school.

Three of the grands are coming over tomorrow for awhile, so I need to find out what they like to eat after school and get that.

Is anyone else worried about the predictions of high gas prices this summer, maybe $5 a gallon? I'm sure if it happens, then everything else will go up. I'm rethinking everything I do, and looking for cheaper alternatives.

February 22nd, 2012, 4:12 pm #5

It is 5o degrees and beautiful today. We are mid week through school break. I am grateful for beautiful sunshine and outdoor play.

My part time daycare child should be starting next week. I could potentially have a FT 2 year old in 2 weeks as well. IF that works out we would be in great shape. I would hold off on adding anyone else until summertime. I would prefer to have little ones than potential obnoxious after school children. The one school age child I have is very demanding as it is.

Last night while I was putting away laundry I also checked the stash of spring/ summer clothes that I have for the kids. DD will need a few pairs of shorts but other than that I should be all set.

February 22nd, 2012, 4:22 pm #6

I just haven't had the courage to add it up, LOL. Seriously, since we were gone for half the month, February doesn't really count. If anyone has a good system for dealing with receipts, I wish they'd tell me!

Dinner last night was $1.62 lb. New York steaks, frozen sweet potato fries and corn. Except for traveling, I've cooked every meal but one at home since the week before Thanksgiving. I think it has been mainly changing my mindset that I have other options than to cook. Things are back to where they were for the first 25 years I was married. Then, I KNEW I didn't have any other options if we wanted to eat!

I DON'T have to cook tonight. My family is taking me out for my birthday...to a favorite place where we have a $25 coupon from restaurant.com. Have to admit, that factored into the choice.

DH tore apart the entertainment center last night and just has to put it back together. He ripped off the DVD cabinet to make room for a bigger TV. There are slots in the wood where the uprights joined the horizontal pieces...if that makes any sense. He would like to repair them, but honestlythe TV takes up so much room that they will never show.

Our van is in the shop today. Same thing it was in for a couple of months ago--power steering issues. I hope they find the problem this time--and that it's cheap! Well, a girl can dream. The van is 9 years old and has 130,000+ miles on it.
So, chances are, it can't get worse than that! LOL! Mine is 10 years old and has 136K miles. I drive about 7 miles of rough dirt road every day each way, so that probably had a lot to do with mine.

February 22nd, 2012, 4:58 pm #7

I've kept receipts from November, January and February so I don't have a clear picture of what we spend per month yet. I didn't bother with December because dh's parents were here and they took us out to restaurants so much it was too skewed. I have noticed a significant decrease from November to now that I'm attributing to eating a lot less meat.

Today I bought packing tape and mouthwash. Those are items I can't get at my regular grocery stores so I went to the crummy Walmart nearby that I despise. They must be rearranging the store because none of the signs pointed in the right direction for anything. Ugh. I needed the packing tape to mail some books sold on ebay. Which brings me to this point - since moving here and not getting completely settled because we know we'll be moving shortly again, I've temporarily lost things. So I know I have them somewhere, but have had to buy replacements because I just cannot find them in time. I know I have at least one whole roll of packing tape but can't find it and the books need to be mailed today. For the Valentine's Day school craft there were a couple of items I replaced because I couldn't find them. I hate that because I'm usually organized. Can't wait to move and unpack everything.

February 22nd, 2012, 6:50 pm #8

So, chances are, it can't get worse than that! LOL! Mine is 10 years old and has 136K miles. I drive about 7 miles of rough dirt road every day each way, so that probably had a lot to do with mine.
$1,600 just sends shivers up and down my spine, although I know it is possible.

Repair shop just called and says the whine is related to the power steering issue, which means we aren't looking for two problems. Chrysler service bulletin suggests replacing the fluid reservoir--screen gets clogged and can't be cleaned successfully. This will be $100-something...not bad. If this doesn't work, they will need to replace the power steering pump for $460-something. Even this is doable, although I'd rather not. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

February 22nd, 2012, 7:33 pm #9

They had to replace the entire Rack and Pinion system, which was an $1100 part.

On a totally different note, the wind gusts are over 85 mph here at work. I work in a corner office (no, not THE corner office, LOL!) that faces southwest with floor to ceiling corner windows. My whole office is shaking and I have the blinds down in case my window breaks. It's kind of hard to concentrate, which is why I'm here!

February 22nd, 2012, 9:10 pm #10

I went to the bank yesterday. My e-fund is now fully restored and I am working on my goal of increasing it by $500 more....
Sheila,
that's great news!