FS april day 24

FS april day 24

April 24th, 2012, 11:05 am #1

Happy Tuesday. Looks like it might actually be sunny today. I can hope....

Today I have the oil man coming to fill the oil tank, $$$ ouch! Then I am stopping in to have coffee with a friend for a few minutes- maybe an hour, before heading in to DDs class to volunteer, then on the way home I drive by the bank, need to stop and make a deposit. Then we will be home from like 12-3:30, while home am planning to cook sloppy joes for dinner. We have a 3:45 Daisy's meeting. Whew....

April 24th, 2012, 3:54 pm #2

The kids are back to school today. It sure is quiet today. We will be spending the day inside as it is wet and cold. Looks like baseball will be on hold as well. I have pork thawing for dinner.

April 24th, 2012, 8:36 pm #3

Today I have the oil man coming to fill the oil tank, $$$ ouch! Then I am stopping in to have coffee with a friend for a few minutes- maybe an hour, before heading in to DDs class to volunteer, then on the way home I drive by the bank, need to stop and make a deposit. Then we will be home from like 12-3:30, while home am planning to cook sloppy joes for dinner. We have a 3:45 Daisy's meeting. Whew....
Breakfast: Sunday morning a lady brought homemade sausage biscuits to church, and several were not eaten. She left them in the fridge for me to eat during the week.

Lunch: Last night at my weekly hangout session with BFF, she ordered a pizza and I got the leftovers to bring for lunch.

Supper: Sunday afternoon hubby and I made burgers, baked beans and potato salad. Tonight we reprise the baked beans and potato salad, with a choice of ham sandwich or grilled cheese if anyone feels they need more.

I blew $1.06 earlier today and don't feel guilty about it at all. I had to mail some packages for the church, on the way to the PO I stopped at Sonic and got an ice cream cone. Yum. Other than that I don't anticipate any money going out today.

April 24th, 2012, 9:11 pm #4

It had taken me an hour to get to sleep last night, and at exactly midnight, Mother Nature put on quite a show! Thunder, lightning and wind. I had left some boards on the front porch to dry and the wind knocked them all over the porch. It sounded like someone was trying to break in. Then, it rained HARD for two hours.

We came home from the cabin this morning and dropped DD off at the developmental disabilities center. I raced home and got my swimsuit and towel (I was wearing underwear, LOL). I went back to my swimming lesson and really had a hard time of it. He was having me practice some things that I'm not good at and I swallowed water--not once, but several times. This is probably way TMI, but when we finished, I went to the dressing room and threw it up. Not a good morning at all.

Today I'm working on the spelling bee and then I have to clean my house, because the girls are coming for pinochle tomorrow. I also need to go to the grocery store because we are out of milk and a few other things. Still eating from the bottom of my freezer, but there isn't much variety.

April 24th, 2012, 9:58 pm #5

We're having leftovers of two main dishes tonight. Plus using up some iceberg we bought for hoagies in a salad, with misc bits and pieces of other veggies. We haven't bought iceberg in years and I forgot how fast it starts to go south. I baked some fresh drop biscuits and mashed up some sad strawberries and added banana slices to stretch it out a bit so we can have sort of a shortcake for dessert. And hopefully at the end nothing will go back in the fridge!

I made a special trip today to Walmart to buy a big doorstop. Very unfrugal because I know I have one just like it, but several searches through unpacked boxes haven't unearthed it. We have a walk-up attic and one cat has figured out how to jiggle the door open. So I put one of those old-fashioned irons in front of it, the kind that poor tired housewives used to have to heat on the stove to use. Useless, because kitty is stronger than I thought and she just pushed it out of the way before commencing jiggling. Then I rolled the vacuum in front of the door, but she managed to push that out of the way too. I'm amazed, because she isn't just rolling it out of the way, she's pushing it against the wheels. She must be weight-training at night. Then I tried the iron and vacuum together and she muscled through those too. I'm hoping that jamming the doorstop in really tight will work. Otherwise I'll put in a hook and eye latch or buy a cinder block! Whenever she goes up there she comes down absolutely filthy or I wouldn't bother trying to keep her out. Plus heat comes down in hot weather and cold air in cold weather when the door is open.

April 24th, 2012, 11:15 pm #6

I had originally planned a crockpot turkey chilli, but wasn't up to browning meat last night (had one of my weather related headaches brewing) so I pulled a container of turkey and gravy out of the chest freezer, figuring that i could push leftover mashed potatoes and rice, as well as leftover peas and carrots and get those things gone! SPuds were bad : (
. . .but there was enough rice for 2 kids (older DS is working)who had that with peas and carrots and the turkey. I had leftover beer battered fish and fries, peas and carrots. I made up 2 lunch containers for myself to get me thru the next 2 work days. Doing all the aforementioned cleaned out the fridge, along with some leftover containers for STBX who hasn't been eating leftovers at home (I often see take out wrappers in the cellar trash can-luckily it's not my $ funding that habit). Sad to toss out a stuffed pepper, esp as it contained grnd beef and cheese, a container with rice and leftover fillet of Tilapia-3 costly items.

SHOULD STBX show up later and be looking for something to eat, there is still a slice of pizza, a piece of cooked salmon in the fridge.

I keep asking, as a courtesy, for STBX to let me know whether or not he will have dinner at home. @@ Lawyer says, cook for me and the boys, if anything is leftover, that's STBX's to take/leave. It's the leaving that is so wasteful. Maybe it's because it's my money funding the grocery budget?

April 24th, 2012, 11:43 pm #7

Went to the grocery store to shop and fill 2 prescriptions. Unfortunately they were out of one of the meds so I'll have to go somewhere else to find that tomorrow.
I'm on a mission to cut our eating out WAY back. It's out of control and we are just wasting money! We don't eat out much through the week but watch out weekends! And with the kids getting older, we can't seem to eat out for less than 50.00 anymore. As I was thinking about this eating out issue i got to thinking. All that stuff that when I'm shopping at the grocery store "oh I'd like to eat that but that's too expensive" Well all of that is cheaper than eating out!! Sooo to ease us back into eating at home more, I might treat us with some easy cook foods from Costco and perhaps some high quality steaks for a treat.
Tonight was .99 split chicken breasts, roasted in the oven. I had 2 1/2 chicken breasts left that I took off the bone and I might make chicken chimichangas out of that tomorrow night.
Dh is at a dinner meeting at the country club tonight so I had homework duty and gotta get my youngest off to bed in a bit. A job I'm glad he does!
Jaime

April 25th, 2012, 2:03 am #8

I have been student teaching for the last 16 weeks, and pre-made/frozen food has been my key to not eating out. We have done pretty well, too. We have an Aldi's close by, and their frozen food is very high quality and not as expensive as a mainstream grocery store. The Asian food is our favorite: egg rolls, orange chicken, sweet & sour chicken, and fried rice - all wonderful! Take and Bake pizza from Sam's Club (like Costco, but not as great)is a good deal and there will be lots of leftovers. At this point, I am just not organized enough to cook from scratch and work full time, so this was a good option for us. However, I have gained weight. I'm looking forward to cooking healthier meals this summer.

April 25th, 2012, 10:05 am #9

Went to the grocery store to shop and fill 2 prescriptions. Unfortunately they were out of one of the meds so I'll have to go somewhere else to find that tomorrow.
I'm on a mission to cut our eating out WAY back. It's out of control and we are just wasting money! We don't eat out much through the week but watch out weekends! And with the kids getting older, we can't seem to eat out for less than 50.00 anymore. As I was thinking about this eating out issue i got to thinking. All that stuff that when I'm shopping at the grocery store "oh I'd like to eat that but that's too expensive" Well all of that is cheaper than eating out!! Sooo to ease us back into eating at home more, I might treat us with some easy cook foods from Costco and perhaps some high quality steaks for a treat.
Tonight was .99 split chicken breasts, roasted in the oven. I had 2 1/2 chicken breasts left that I took off the bone and I might make chicken chimichangas out of that tomorrow night.
Dh is at a dinner meeting at the country club tonight so I had homework duty and gotta get my youngest off to bed in a bit. A job I'm glad he does!
Jaime
There are just 2 of us here, most days (but we never know when one of the kids will drop in at dinner time, lol).

We go through spurts of eating out WAY too much, and like you, it hits the wallet hard when we do.

Dh enjoys cooking, and he's a good cook - better than 90% of the restaurants we eat at. It saves me money to buy a good steak, keep seafood in the freezer, and stock up on ingredients that will make good meals - steak or salmon on the grill at home with fresh side dishes is better than steak or salmon from my favorite restaurant, and it cost less than half as much.

I like to cook, but not when I've had a busy/stressful day, then I need down time - for dh cooking is his de-stressor. I'm spoiled, and going to take advantage of it.

FWIW, last evening, dh had a dinner meeting. He came home to find me working on my laptop at the dinner table, typing up minutes from a meeting, I'd skipped dinner all together. He prepared me a gourmet meal - a peanut butter sandwich on store bought wheat bread,with a glass of cold milk, lol!

It also helps tremendously when we have a plan for tomorrow's dinner - I often prepare veggies/meat for tomorrows meal while he's cooking tonights meal. Tonight we're having beef pot pie, one of us will throw it into a crust tonight and bake it, he prepared it while I was typing last night. He put the corned beef into the frig last night, from the freezer, so I suspect we have reuben's in our future.

I've also found that stopping by the farmers market and having FRESH veggies, and FRESH salad help us eat at home. Who really wants to eat salad from a bag?? One of the local farmers always has suggestions for how to prepare the veggies she has at market, so we try something new frequently. I wouldn't do that at the grocery store either.
glendaMO

April 25th, 2012, 11:53 am #10

Jaime
Since limiting our restaurant budget a few months ago, we've bought a few more things at the grocery store that we normally don't buy. Not so much convenience food for us as fancy things. Nice cheese, a steak, interesting sausages, good hoagie buns from the Italian bakery, etc. And some convenience foods too, although the quality of those has varied. Sometimes good and sometimes disappointing. Definitely cheaper than takeout!