Frugal January Day 17

Frugal January Day 17

January 17th, 2012, 12:55 pm #1

It's a snow delay/no school day here.... Ds2 (10) has the Delay. Dd who is am kindergarten has no school....

I have been sorting fabric and seeing what I can get rid of. My plans for the day pretty much involve staying home, keeping warm, cooking a few things... and doing some more straightening/decluttering. I have to go out with the kids to a Daisy's meeting at 3:45....

I decorated for Valentines day using things I already had on hand... found a string of heart shaped lights that thrilled DD to no end! I don't doubt that after Valentines day I end up hanging them in her room... I bought those a few years back at Target after Valentines day, 70% off... Since DD is home today I may set her up with some of my old scrap booking supplies and have her make some heart decorations.

January 17th, 2012, 2:00 pm #2

The kids are off to school and the extras are all still sleeping. The daycare baby won't be here until 11. So far I have scooped out the pellet stove and cleaned that corner which is forever dusty. I also hung up the slew of coats throughout the house on the 12 hooks I have for coats. I am about to tackle the kitchen and hopefully reorganize the pantry. Everything is shoved in there right now. Even with my house overflowing with people I have managed to do a small decluttering project everyday. Yesterday I tackled a kitchen cupboard. My cupboards are old and large. I have a wall of 3 vertical cupboards next to my stove. The door came off the middle one and I had a bunch of stuff crammed in there. Yesterday I took it all out and replaced it with my small collection of vintage pyrex. I LOVE vintage pyrex and still use the dishes. Some were my mom's and grandfather's and bring back nice memories. Anyhow, I like the look of it. I do need to take the hinges off and paint the inside of the cupboard but progress is progress, right?

I made the kids lunches for school. This is a huge downfall for me. I am very lazy about making their lunches but I am trying to improve. Our warmer weather has returned, amen! so the pellet stove is turned low. Both sis and DH picked up milk yesterday so I have an abundance. I am going to make pudding in small containers for the kids lunches. I also have some leftover chicken to make chicken salad, a good low carb option. I may spurge and buy a small jar of hellman's mayonaise. We have kraft here but it doesn't compare to hellman's in my opinion.

January 17th, 2012, 2:24 pm #3

I just think that as long as I do something every day towards decluttering, making things neater then I am doing ok! I also cooked a very large chicken breast yesterday- in addition to the Apricot glazed chicken for dinner, with the intention of doing the same- making chicken salad! Yum!!!

January 17th, 2012, 3:17 pm #4

It's a snow delay/no school day here.... Ds2 (10) has the Delay. Dd who is am kindergarten has no school....

I have been sorting fabric and seeing what I can get rid of. My plans for the day pretty much involve staying home, keeping warm, cooking a few things... and doing some more straightening/decluttering. I have to go out with the kids to a Daisy's meeting at 3:45....

I decorated for Valentines day using things I already had on hand... found a string of heart shaped lights that thrilled DD to no end! I don't doubt that after Valentines day I end up hanging them in her room... I bought those a few years back at Target after Valentines day, 70% off... Since DD is home today I may set her up with some of my old scrap booking supplies and have her make some heart decorations.
I had to pay for some building materials yesterday (special account), so I decided to hit St. Vinnie's on 70% off clothing day. I found a cute top that would have been $2--a bargain in itself--and it only cost .60! This is for the $50 vacation wardrobe.

All meals cooked and eaten at home. I made a huge pot of minestrone that should provide lunches for the rest of the week!

I talked to my friend Suzanne (owns the motel in Harrison) last night. A week ago Friday, she went thrifting and spent $4.50. Over the weekend, she just sold that stuff for $320 on e-Bay! She knows china and crystal and had picked up a few Lenox pieces. She sold her great-uncle's shaving brushes (found in a box in the basement) for $60! (That's included in the $320). Why can't I do that???? (It's because I'd get discouraged when I didn't make that kind of money all the time). PB, she always buys vintage Pyrex if it hasn't been ruined in the dishwasher, and those old Fire King milk glass and jadeite coffee mugs everyone had in the '50s are worth a FORTUNE. These are the ones I mean--just in case some of you have them: Tiny URLhttp://tinyurl.com/7q9wx64

January 17th, 2012, 3:47 pm #5

My Explorer got to where it could not be driven. We were pouring radiator fluid into it every other day. At $12 a bottle, it was becoming pricey as is, but by this weekend, it just was smoking like crazy any time we drove it. So, $800 later....I still need to put in a new transmission. That's another $1800-2500. Never did go look at cars. Am sewing a quilt for my 28 year old niece who just found out she has stage four breast cancer that has spread to her liver, bones, and spine. I am making her a Cancer-Kickin, Cold-Conquerin, Chemo Comfort Quilt. At least, that's what I named it.

I'm feeling rather down. I quit my diet, bought donuts, ate the donuts, and bought a couple pairs of elastic waist pants in the next size up. Not a good frugal day for me. AT. ALL.

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

January 17th, 2012, 3:48 pm #6

possibly I'll freeze solid if I stop moving. The dining room is clean, the living room is CLEAN and organized. I'm very happy with it. The kitchen is clean-ish.

I drank my fizzy cider yesterday and I've got home made gingerale on a continuous brew so I'll see how long I can do that before it powers out. I made a very nice veggie soup for supper last night and thickened it with canned pumpkin so it was almost like stew.

Haven't spent anything since I went to the grocery store last Thursday.

January 17th, 2012, 3:52 pm #7

Any day that it rains instead of snows is a good one. I don't think it's normal for southern New Jersey, but we haven't had any snow yet this year.

I'm staying home and doing laundry and a bit more cleaning if I can get motivated.

January 17th, 2012, 3:56 pm #8

My Explorer got to where it could not be driven. We were pouring radiator fluid into it every other day. At $12 a bottle, it was becoming pricey as is, but by this weekend, it just was smoking like crazy any time we drove it. So, $800 later....I still need to put in a new transmission. That's another $1800-2500. Never did go look at cars. Am sewing a quilt for my 28 year old niece who just found out she has stage four breast cancer that has spread to her liver, bones, and spine. I am making her a Cancer-Kickin, Cold-Conquerin, Chemo Comfort Quilt. At least, that's what I named it.

I'm feeling rather down. I quit my diet, bought donuts, ate the donuts, and bought a couple pairs of elastic waist pants in the next size up. Not a good frugal day for me. AT. ALL.

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers
That would put me over the edge, too. ((( Bethann )))

January 17th, 2012, 3:58 pm #9

Karen got me distracted with the YMOYL thread, so now I'm working on going through Money to create charts like are in Chapter 8.

Fixing to get nasty here! Nice line of weather approaching and the tornado sirens are going off.
Last edited by Stacey_K on January 17th, 2012, 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

January 17th, 2012, 8:38 pm #10

Did not get much done... wrote up my "to do" list and pretty much lost my energy come mid day and all I have left that I have to do is the Daisy's meeting. we got snow and rain now and temps are suppose to drop. I hate weather like this where you have to wonder if it's all gonna freeze up to a glaze.....

Made hamburger strognoff for dinner..... wish I could stay home....