Frugal gardening challenge

Frugal gardening challenge

May 7th, 2012, 1:44 am #1

I have been cleaning up my yard and spent $8.88 to replace the dearly departed Mr. Lincoln rose. I've decided to try to keep my gardening budget to $20-$25 for this house this year. I AM NOT GOING TO JUDY'S GREENHOUSE THIS YEAR!!

While I've been grubbing out weeds and pruning things, I've been making note of what I can do with what I've already got:

(1) I have billions and billions (literally) of petunia seedlings that reseeded themselves from last year--I didn't cut them down in the fall and we had a mild winter. Actually, this happened last year, too. Except that this year, I'm going to transplant petunias EVERYWHERE. Less is not more--when it comes to flowers, more are more! Hey, they're free. What do you have that you can use?

(2) I want to divide one of my candytufts for more plants. But, they're blooming now. When they are done, there's one that's got a lot of grass and weeds growing up in it. So I will shear it off, cut it up, replant one of them, and get some free candytuft. I am keeping my eyes open for other perennials that I can divide, but I've already done quite a bit of that in the last 2-3 years.

(3) I'm going to buy a package of seeds this week and plant cosmos. They come back every year.

(4) I've got oddball pink hyacinths here and there in the yard. I'm going to mark them with a stake and dig them up in the fall and plant them all together.

(5) I'm not going to be shy about asking my pinochle pals for freebies. I plan to dig up some hollyhocks for Myra, who gave me a bunch of vinca last week.

Care to join me to see how nice you can make your yard look while spending nothing...or next to nothing? What do you have to spread around?
Last edited by MaxineS on May 7th, 2012, 2:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, 2012, 2:20 am #2

I'm digging up all my front garden; the one directly in front of the house,, I'm relocating the flagstone patio so that it is right up to the house. Then the rest of the gardens are getting dug up, made smaller. So everything is in motion in my garden. All the bulbs are dug up right now (I hope they survive), the globe cedars are now in the back yard, the peonies are going to be unhappy but ...they have to move. I'm splitting up the patch of Solomon's Seal and giving a bunch to a neighbour. A bunch of iris are already sitting waiting to find a new home. Waiting with them are hosta's galore. I fear I will need a back-hoe to dig up all the hydrangea but it really is overgrown. I'm hoping the front garden becomes a bit more tidy rather than looking like I simply 'plunked' flowers whereever there was a spot but in reality, that's really what I've done over the past few years.

May 7th, 2012, 2:37 am #3

They'll probably sulk for awhile...but they'll get over it. I've got some in pots that I divided to plant at the cabin, and I don't expect them to bloom this year. I'm waiting to plant until the house gets painted in the next 3-4 weeks.

Are you planning to re-landscape using only (or mainly) the plants you have on hand (or can beg, borrow or steal?). Wish you lived closer so we could trade back and forth!

May 7th, 2012, 3:08 am #4

I've got lots of geraniums in the basement that I need to drag outside and water soon. And I'm sure I've got packets of cosmos that may or may not bloom. I won't know until I throw them into the ground.
I sure wish you lived closer too so I could pass on some plants. One of my kids has bought a new house....in Alberta. And I'm seriously thinking of loading up the car and taking a road trip! hahahahaha. not frugal for me...but could be for them.

May 7th, 2012, 3:16 am #5

I'm close to Alberta. Wonder if I could get plants across the border??

Once you have everything dug up and get to rearrange it, it's going to be as much fun as a foray to Judy's Greenhouse...and a heckuva lot cheaper.
Last edited by MaxineS on May 7th, 2012, 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, 2012, 4:24 am #6

I have been cleaning up my yard and spent $8.88 to replace the dearly departed Mr. Lincoln rose. I've decided to try to keep my gardening budget to $20-$25 for this house this year. I AM NOT GOING TO JUDY'S GREENHOUSE THIS YEAR!!

While I've been grubbing out weeds and pruning things, I've been making note of what I can do with what I've already got:

(1) I have billions and billions (literally) of petunia seedlings that reseeded themselves from last year--I didn't cut them down in the fall and we had a mild winter. Actually, this happened last year, too. Except that this year, I'm going to transplant petunias EVERYWHERE. Less is not more--when it comes to flowers, more are more! Hey, they're free. What do you have that you can use?

(2) I want to divide one of my candytufts for more plants. But, they're blooming now. When they are done, there's one that's got a lot of grass and weeds growing up in it. So I will shear it off, cut it up, replant one of them, and get some free candytuft. I am keeping my eyes open for other perennials that I can divide, but I've already done quite a bit of that in the last 2-3 years.

(3) I'm going to buy a package of seeds this week and plant cosmos. They come back every year.

(4) I've got oddball pink hyacinths here and there in the yard. I'm going to mark them with a stake and dig them up in the fall and plant them all together.

(5) I'm not going to be shy about asking my pinochle pals for freebies. I plan to dig up some hollyhocks for Myra, who gave me a bunch of vinca last week.

Care to join me to see how nice you can make your yard look while spending nothing...or next to nothing? What do you have to spread around?
I found an unopened package of cosmos seeds packed for 2009 and wondered if the seeds would still be viable. I Googled it and found this chart, which some of you tightwads might find useful. Veggies are listed first; there's a second list below it for flowers. The cosmos should be good for 3-4 years. Yayhttp://hillgardens.com/seed_longevity.htm
Last edited by MaxineS on May 7th, 2012, 4:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

May 7th, 2012, 11:51 am #7

tons of Hosta- both varigated and green, many that need to be divided
Peonies that need to be moved out of my veggie garden area
a bag of lawn patch
a bag of Miracle grow seed starting mix
lots and lots of seeds (poppy, Hollyhock, some kind of wildflower mix, 2 kinds of marigolds,sunflowers, forget me nots and something else....)
Lots and lots of empty planters.
a blueberry bush that survived the winter in it's planter and needs to get planted

I need to buy some bagged dirt for my yard to fill in some holes (going to look at Big Lots) and I would like to buy some Zinnia seeds. I would love a bleeding heart plant and a rhubarb plant.

May 7th, 2012, 1:35 pm #8

A week ago, after mowing, I decided that a few clumps of daffodils were just in the way, so I dug them up, divided them, and moved them to no-mow areas. I had been propagating a rosemary by layering and finally decided it was ready to move too. I've been deadheading coreopsis and throwing the seed in bare areas, and a garden friend sent me some hyacinth bean vine seeds though none have come up so far. I think they were too old. I'm really surprised none of my marigolds came up. I usually plant them in the garden and collect seeds, but always have volunteers. None this year.

I also transplanted some oak and ash trees that popped up in my yard.

I thought this was going to be an easier summer but I've already got inch deep cracks in my yard. I cobbled together a pvc bubbler sprinkler out of old parts that will just water the new stuff, so maybe I can keep it alive through the summer. My usual cut off for planting is June 1, but I'm afraid it should have been May 1 this year.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 7th, 2012, 2:02 pm #9

tons of Hosta- both varigated and green, many that need to be divided
Peonies that need to be moved out of my veggie garden area
a bag of lawn patch
a bag of Miracle grow seed starting mix
lots and lots of seeds (poppy, Hollyhock, some kind of wildflower mix, 2 kinds of marigolds,sunflowers, forget me nots and something else....)
Lots and lots of empty planters.
a blueberry bush that survived the winter in it's planter and needs to get planted

I need to buy some bagged dirt for my yard to fill in some holes (going to look at Big Lots) and I would like to buy some Zinnia seeds. I would love a bleeding heart plant and a rhubarb plant.
Ask on Freecycle! Someone else is digging up what you want. I, for example, actually have an extra bleeding heart that I divided, but it would never survive the trip to CT. But if I knew someone wanted it, and they would come get it, I would give it to them. I saw one yesterday at Home Depot for $7.99.

May 7th, 2012, 2:05 pm #10

I have a new flower bed I started last year. This area was nasty and weedy but it is slowly coming along. Saturday I split some black eyed susans and added them to the area. I also have hostas that need to be split to fill in some sparse areas and a lupine and a few daylillies that need to be moved.