Frugal Feb wrap up..... Monday 2/27

Frugal Feb wrap up..... Monday 2/27

February 27th, 2012, 12:03 pm #1

It's monday.... 2 days left to this month after today.

I managed to have 4 no drive days last week. This is really helping my fuel consumption! Last week I week I probably used about $25 in gas instead of the usual $40. This week's goal is 2 no drive days.

I'm also doing better with keeping the house at 68. (Lower at night)

I met my goal this month of replacing and adding to my e-fund.

I have been tracking groceries really well for 2 full months now. I spent $309 in January (but was away for a full week) and then $503 in February. Averaged together it comes to $406 a month or $116 a week (divided by 7 weeks- not including the week we were away). Not too bad for feeding 2 adults and 2 kids, almost all meals at home. This does include toiletrys and dog food.

Right now I am looking ahead to my March budget... goals for March are to add $50 more to the e-fund, Buy and mail my dad a B-day present by 3/7 and pay cash for it, pay the dentist $110 for an extra (6 month) cleaning that my insurance won't cover, And put away at least $400 for oil, (I am assuming that I will need oil again by the end of March).
Last edited by SheilaPCT on February 27th, 2012, 2:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 27th, 2012, 2:05 pm #2

I'm looking over receipts for February now. Groceries were $283.70, $30 more than January but less than my $300 goal. We went $7 over our $100 restaurant budget though.

I found many items on my "look for list" at Goodwill: $2 lampshade, $3 overshoes for dh, $3 dust ruffle, $4 bike helmet, $3 backpack, $20 for 4 nonstick pots with lids, and $25 for winter coats for all three of us. On the other hand, there were some purchases that weren't necessary: $20 new quilt and shams, $3 4 Fiesta mugs, a few .49 books, $40 2 slipper chairs, $2 digital indoor/outdoor thermometer, a few misc clothing items, a set of DVDs that we've watched and I'll sell. I don't regret any of the purchases.

I started selling a few things on ebay again. Just sets of books for now, but they're selling pretty well and were purchased secondhand and turning a profit after original cost and fees. I'm still occasionally finding things for a spring garage sale, pricing them and putting them in boxes. Mostly ds's outgrown clothing but also some miscellaneous stuff around the house.

I reached my February savings goal and a little extra, plus the ebay money hasn't gone to savings yet.

Edited to add that I forgot I'm almost out of cat food. So that will be another $30 or so to the grocery bill. At least it lasts a couple of months.
Last edited by SandyinMI on February 27th, 2012, 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 27th, 2012, 4:46 pm #3

I managed to have 4 no drive days last week. This is really helping my fuel consumption! Last week I week I probably used about $25 in gas instead of the usual $40. This week's goal is 2 no drive days.

I have been tracking groceries really well for 2 full months now. I spent $309 in January (but was away for a full week) and then $503 in February. Averaged together it comes to $406 a month or $116 a week (divided by 7 weeks- not including the week we were away). Not too bad for feeding 2 adults and 2 kids, almost all meals at home. This does include toiletrys and dog food.

Right now I am looking ahead to my March budget... goals for March are to add $50 more to the e-fund, Buy and mail my dad a B-day present by 3/7 and pay cash for it, pay the dentist $110 for an extra (6 month) cleaning that my insurance won't cover, And put away at least $400 for oil, (I am assuming that I will need oil again by the end of March).
I will be doing a lot of laundry today. Only two loads of clothes, but lots of sheets, blankets, bedspreads...

I have not kept a running grocery total, but since we have been eating out of the pantry, freezer and fridge since January 1, I have never even met my weekly total dollars for groceries yet. That may change as we are almost out of meat.

I have to mail some things for FIL after doing the laundry. If I finish laundry in time then I will walk them to the small post office. If it is getting too close to dinner time then I will have to drive there. Only 2 miles or a little more round trip, it is just that I am so conscious of gasoline usage with the prices going up.

2catsmom

February 27th, 2012, 6:32 pm #4

Today I took some money out of the bank, gave dh enough for the CAA bill and 3 months of insurance and gas. He is officially cut off.

I will also pay $200 for therapeutic riding today.

February 27th, 2012, 7:58 pm #5

We haven't left the house since Friday, and unless I decide to go grocery shopping, we won't leave today, either. Thus we have not spent any money.

Our big dog desperately needed a bath. We'd planned to take her to the neighborhood dog wash (it's inside a car wash) because she doesn't like water and is big enough to make you wish you'd done something different. Well, due to the snowy, sloppy weather, we gave up and bathed her at home in DD's bathtub. I have no idea how much we saved, but I can tell you...we made a heckuva mess! LOL

I cleaned out the produce bins in my fridge, washed them and put them back. I actually threw away very little produce, but oh my, you should have seen it. Definitely an A++ as a science project! I plan to declutter and rearrange the rest of the fridge today, but I don't see a complete wash-down in my immediate future. A clean fridge really does a lot for keeping me on track in the kitchen.

Other than that, I'm doing laundry and cleaning house. Need to vacuum again today because the dog rolled all over the rug when she was drying off.

Cooked the simplest possible meals over the weekend and I'm hoping for just as easy today. Unfortunately, I don't know yet what that will be.....

February 27th, 2012, 8:07 pm #6

This piranha puppy, I got, woke up and needed out. Then she just wanted to play and bite! So I started the laundry and got the dishwasher going. I baked a big batch of biscuits and froze them. Hopefully breakfast will be simpler now. I think I figured out how to make tea that tastes like the red diamond tea! So there is quite a savings! I saved the tea bags and use them twice also.

I'm waiting for a delivery that is supposed to be here before 5. I need to do my state taxes but I'm really not in the mood, even though I have a refund coming.

February 27th, 2012, 9:28 pm #7

Budget wise it's been good. There is $14 left in the grocery fund and $70 in gas. I'm waiting to get the monthly Costco coupon book in the mail to see what is good for March. I'll use those with the rewards certificate that's on this months bill.

I've had my first cold in 4 years since the 15th. It is showing no signs of leaving. Not much has gotten done around the house since then. Just laundry and dishes. We've had carry out for most nights, I think I've cooked 4 nights. Dh has it now too. It's 65 degrees here today and we've got several windows open. I'm hoping some of these germs leave.

Dinner tonight is Costco's chicken noodle soup and fresh italian bread. I'm too wiped to stand in the kitchen and make soup from scratch today. I need to plan the rest of the menu for the week and go over the March budget tonight.

You have two choices; make progress or make excuses.

February 28th, 2012, 12:21 am #8

We had to pull some money from the emergency fund to pay for fuel oil when the pellet stove died. The new motor for the stove came today and DH only had to pay for shipping as the other motor was only a few months old before it died. We will replace the money in the e-fund when our tax return comes in.

Things should be looking up for March with the increase in my income.

As for today it was definitely "freebie" day. My sister gave me some clothes including some much needed jeans. As murphy's law would have it she brought them the day after I bought 2 pairs from the thrift store. She also gave me a coffee maker. I had one that made a single cup but you had to push the button 5 times to get one cup. By the time I remembered to keep going back to push the button the coffee was luke warm at best when a full cup was done. So I made good use of the large canister of folger's that DH brought home from work. His office has a keurig now so they didn't need the folgers.

I also received a walker from my new daycare family for the baby I have. They were no longer using it. They are also bringing me more toddler toys. Their previous provider is no longer doing daycare and was just going to junk the toys. I am need of infant/ toddler items now that I have 3 under 2.