Frugal Feb day 13

Frugal Feb day 13

February 13th, 2012, 3:46 pm #1

Happy Monday....

Today it is bitter cold here.... I'm now home for the day but had to go out to an early appointment.After the appointment I stopped at the dollar store and bought some things to give to my kids as treats for valentines. Total spent $5 for both kids.

Peirogies for lunch and chicken nuggests for dinner... yes, I am deviating from my menu plan.... Last night I was in the mood for something sweet and yummy. Found a gingerbread cookie mix box in the cabinet but it had insructions to make the mix into a cake so I made that, topped with a little whipped cream, it worked out!

I'm feeling like I am sooo ready for spring.... I have a bunch of forsthias, I am wondering if it is too early to try and force some of them, anyone know?

February 13th, 2012, 5:39 pm #2

Noticed it this AM driving in to work. That means I need to get out in the yard soon w/ the crabgrass preventer - yuck!

Don't know about your area, though.
LisaCNC

February 13th, 2012, 7:13 pm #3

Happy Monday....

Today it is bitter cold here.... I'm now home for the day but had to go out to an early appointment.After the appointment I stopped at the dollar store and bought some things to give to my kids as treats for valentines. Total spent $5 for both kids.

Peirogies for lunch and chicken nuggests for dinner... yes, I am deviating from my menu plan.... Last night I was in the mood for something sweet and yummy. Found a gingerbread cookie mix box in the cabinet but it had insructions to make the mix into a cake so I made that, topped with a little whipped cream, it worked out!

I'm feeling like I am sooo ready for spring.... I have a bunch of forsthias, I am wondering if it is too early to try and force some of them, anyone know?
The weather is a bit colder today and we are expecting winds. I have a cold, so thought it would be wise to stay indoors today. The only pressing thing is that I need to go to the post office. I will probably do that on Wednesday. Tomorrow, I think will be laundry day. All meals from home. Nothing fancy though.

2catsmom

February 13th, 2012, 7:39 pm #4

Happy Monday....

I'm doing laundry today and tidying up a bit. I just put a pot of soup on to simmer. It's mostly vegetable, and using up lot of misc veggies, some V8-style juice from Aldi's and one of the two rutabagas that I bought for something else but decided not to make. Veggie soup is great, you can throw whatever you have in there and it always tastes good but never quite the same way twice.

Since I have a growing declutter pile, I decided to price it and put it in bins for a garage sale this spring. There's a town-wide one so I won't have to advertise or worry about signs. Dang it, I just realized I left my good garage sale signs with a neighbor in Michigan. Poo.

February 13th, 2012, 8:49 pm #5

Happy Monday....

...less than before. Both DH and I switched medical insurance this year, and we are saving a ton both on premiums and Rx co-pays. DH picked up some scripts at the drugstore, and one of his, which used to be $40, is now $33. Mine, which used to be $75 (and went to $90 this year), was $39 with the new insurance. And this is every month!

Unfortunately, I have to see the shrink this afternoon (depression/quarterly appointment) with a $35 co-pay, and I also have to take Lulu to the vet about her surgical incision, which she won't stop licking. The latter is unbudgeted.

Speaking of budgets, DH and I have been working on our first-ever written budget. I've always operated out of my back pocket, but DH wants to be sure we have enough $$$ to go back to Costa Rica next year! I'm still estimating the big expenses, but I've tracked down all of the little ones, which is the time-consuming part of all this. Feeling good about this!

Yesterday I cooked all meals at home, as I will today.
Last edited by MaxineS on February 13th, 2012, 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

February 13th, 2012, 8:53 pm #6

DS is having a frugal day as well. He was cooking lunch at home when he called--he does this quite often. His girlfriend is coming over tomorrow (Valentine's Day) and he is cooking her dinner and giving her flowers. Probably from the supermarket! She is very frugal and will probably appreciate this more than some big $100 hoo-haw.

February 13th, 2012, 9:00 pm #7

...less than before. Both DH and I switched medical insurance this year, and we are saving a ton both on premiums and Rx co-pays. DH picked up some scripts at the drugstore, and one of his, which used to be $40, is now $33. Mine, which used to be $75 (and went to $90 this year), was $39 with the new insurance. And this is every month!

Unfortunately, I have to see the shrink this afternoon (depression/quarterly appointment) with a $35 co-pay, and I also have to take Lulu to the vet about her surgical incision, which she won't stop licking. The latter is unbudgeted.

Speaking of budgets, DH and I have been working on our first-ever written budget. I've always operated out of my back pocket, but DH wants to be sure we have enough $$$ to go back to Costa Rica next year! I'm still estimating the big expenses, but I've tracked down all of the little ones, which is the time-consuming part of all this. Feeling good about this!

Yesterday I cooked all meals at home, as I will today.
Her part D (AARP), moved it from Tier 1 ($7 co-pay) to Tier 4, which is the highest there is. They pay nothing on it (Tier 4 they pay nothing until you hit a $90 price, then they pay a certain %, don't remember what it is), and it cost her $37 when we refilled it in January. We talked to the dr's office, and they are switching her to something else when she refills later this month. I thought it was one of two medicines, but Mama thought they said it was both of them. Each only ahve an $8 co-pay, so if she has to take both, $16 is better than $37.

That might not seem like much to most people to worry about, but every bit helps, right? Besides, I think the next level of medicine she will end up taking for her chemo (once the current one no longer works) costs almost $10,000 per month, so I'm trying to save her what I can.
LisaCNC

February 13th, 2012, 9:10 pm #8

Happy Monday....

Don't know if it happened while I was slow cooking those baked beans over night for 12 hours or if something happened to it in the sink... I'm bummed... only had it for like 2 years. It was an aldi stainless one... gonna ask on Freecycle for another one...

February 13th, 2012, 9:19 pm #9

If so, I'd keep an eye out at the thrift stores for a replacement crock.
LisaCNC

February 13th, 2012, 9:40 pm #10

I know from in the past that to buy a replacement crock was as much , or almost, as buying a whole new one....

I put out the word on freecycle that I am looking for one, I use mine at least once a week and some weeks more like 2 or 3 times.... I know there is one down south in my boyfriends dads house that we are clearing out, in NC. My boyfriend has to go back down next month so if I don't find a free or super cheap one then I will just wait and have him bring that home here (and the coffee pot- always good to have a spare!). Just trying to talk myself into waiting 4 weeks... or else maybe one will show up thru freecycle.