Frugal activity ... day 4

Frugal activity ... day 4

December 4th, 2011, 5:11 pm #1

I think I'm going to clean out the fridge and make a buffet...

December 4th, 2011, 5:25 pm #2

but had to buy a carton of cream today - you've got to have a bit of cream with raspberries!

Dinner is beef casserole with carrots cauli and roast potatoes - and raspberries & cream

Stayed home and listed ebay stuff

December 4th, 2011, 5:27 pm #3

We ate all meals at home yesterday. I threw together spaghetti sauce in the Crock Pot with leftover sauce, a little fresh sauce, a ground beef patty and the ratty edges of the meatloaf. It was waiting for us when we got home from the movie...a time when I REALLY hate to cook.

We'd long ago promised to take DD and her boyfriend to see The Muppets. We went to a $6.50 matinee. John paid his own way and Colleen paid for the tickets for herself, her dad and me. Didn't feel guilty about this, since we pay her way 90% of the time. John and Colleen shared a bag of popcorn, otherwise we didn't buy treats. We liked the movie, BTW, but then we are huge Muppets fans.

On the way home, I stopped at Kohl's (across the street from the theater) with a $10 coupon. I used it for a card of 3 pairs of earrings for DD's Christmas stocking. They were on sale for $9.60, so they were free to me. I've got two Penney's $10 coupons, too, which I also hope to turn into stocking stuffers. Socks, anyone?

December 4th, 2011, 5:30 pm #4

-Cut up a tired apron and made 5 rags, salvedged 2 D rings and stored them in my sewing supplies
-laundry in cold
-all meals have been/will be eaten at home, all prepared from scratch
-making bread
-not using any gasoline although Dh is off to pick up our free Christmas tree
-only have one light on, relying on sunlight otherwise
-heat is set at 67 but really hasn't been coming on, due to passive solar. Lucily morning temps have climbed from the low 30's to low 50's now
-checked my public library account for any upcoming overdue books, noted that a book I had DH return for me has not cleared my account and charges/fees are accruing. I didn't drive over, I phoned and asked them to look for the book. Meanwhile, I am hoping that DH didn't forget and that it's in one of the cars.
-getting ready to do the paperwork for 2 mail order RX's-that saves us the cost of 1/2 a month of RX. used to be a full month's worth.: (
-getting ready also to do our Christmas cards, using cards that I bought a few years ago @ $1/box from Xpect/Marc's. I have postage on hand, 2 younger kid's photos will go in for relatives. Still waiting for older kid's senior photos for Godparents, grandparents. So, I'll hold those cards aside for now.
-been trolling on line for inexpensive do it yourself holiday crafts, gift ideas using supplies on hand or if I need to purchase anything it would be for something that wouldn't be over the top to make/do. See my blog for some of these ideas: CTonabudget.blogspot.com

December 4th, 2011, 5:35 pm #5

We ate all meals at home yesterday. I threw together spaghetti sauce in the Crock Pot with leftover sauce, a little fresh sauce, a ground beef patty and the ratty edges of the meatloaf. It was waiting for us when we got home from the movie...a time when I REALLY hate to cook.

We'd long ago promised to take DD and her boyfriend to see The Muppets. We went to a $6.50 matinee. John paid his own way and Colleen paid for the tickets for herself, her dad and me. Didn't feel guilty about this, since we pay her way 90% of the time. John and Colleen shared a bag of popcorn, otherwise we didn't buy treats. We liked the movie, BTW, but then we are huge Muppets fans.

On the way home, I stopped at Kohl's (across the street from the theater) with a $10 coupon. I used it for a card of 3 pairs of earrings for DD's Christmas stocking. They were on sale for $9.60, so they were free to me. I've got two Penney's $10 coupons, too, which I also hope to turn into stocking stuffers. Socks, anyone?
Love the 3 pairs of freebie earings, Max! I have pretty much finished my shopping for gifts, they are all wrapped as of last night. I need a few gift cards, then to finish stuffing small, Xmas decorated bags that I use instead of stockings. 2 kids already have thick, hiking boot socks, candy. I need items for older 2. I need to cull thru my coupon box and see what I can find on the cheap next weekend. Lip balm, lotion, candy, shower gel, fancy soap-those are the types of things I tuck in usually.

I really am trying to wrap the purchasing part of Christmas by next Sunday, and then focus on my sewing projects and baking.

December 4th, 2011, 5:55 pm #6

Did drive over to see my parents for a little while (20 miles each way) then I came home, lunch was left over fish, rice and veggies from last night. Thawed 2 packs of ground meat from the freezer and will make meat balls or meat loaf for tonight.... Probably the meatballs- I ended up with 3 lbs of spaghetti noodles.... Need to come up with an easy dessert to use up some ripe bananas. I have a graham crust so I might just line it with some hersheys sauce and slice the bananas into it and top with vanilla pudding... simple. I have stripped all the beds and am washing sheets. In a little while I will be making beds... I found two packs of left over Christmas cards and should start on those.... Kids are out till 4 pm so I am trying to make good use of my time. It's chilly in my house but so far I have resisted turning up the heat and put on a polar fleece... I also need to search for a missing library book.... DD took it out of the library and it has been missing for weeks. If I don't find it I will have to pay for it and don't like that idea!

I have just $2(in bills, and some change) in my wallet and thats all I have till the end of the week. I know I need milk and I am going to need cheese but for now I am just planning cheese free meals, but the milk I want to have on hand... will use my $2 and change for that.... wish I had some powdered, but I don't. If I make the pudding that will use up the last of the milk I do have here.

December 4th, 2011, 9:38 pm #7

Have made £99.45 on ebay tonight - need to take fees off that though. Not too bad for stuff lying around the house - or more likely, the garage!

December 4th, 2011, 9:56 pm #8

Did drive over to see my parents for a little while (20 miles each way) then I came home, lunch was left over fish, rice and veggies from last night. Thawed 2 packs of ground meat from the freezer and will make meat balls or meat loaf for tonight.... Probably the meatballs- I ended up with 3 lbs of spaghetti noodles.... Need to come up with an easy dessert to use up some ripe bananas. I have a graham crust so I might just line it with some hersheys sauce and slice the bananas into it and top with vanilla pudding... simple. I have stripped all the beds and am washing sheets. In a little while I will be making beds... I found two packs of left over Christmas cards and should start on those.... Kids are out till 4 pm so I am trying to make good use of my time. It's chilly in my house but so far I have resisted turning up the heat and put on a polar fleece... I also need to search for a missing library book.... DD took it out of the library and it has been missing for weeks. If I don't find it I will have to pay for it and don't like that idea!

I have just $2(in bills, and some change) in my wallet and thats all I have till the end of the week. I know I need milk and I am going to need cheese but for now I am just planning cheese free meals, but the milk I want to have on hand... will use my $2 and change for that.... wish I had some powdered, but I don't. If I make the pudding that will use up the last of the milk I do have here.
I sure hope they taste as good as they smell! Sauce is simmering for them.... YUM!!! I made them with just a little splash of milk and one egg- 2 lbs of meat. I sure hope they are not tough- always thought it was the egg that made them tender but now I am down to 2 eggs to last me for a while...

December 4th, 2011, 10:05 pm #9

Spent the morning at Church and then stopped at Aldi's for some MUCH NEEDED groceries. I spent $150 and that should easily last me at least 2 weeks. This also included a Ginger bread house kit which will be a birthday activity for DD. I am attempting homemade yogurt in the crockpot. I have been eating yogurt for breakfast every morning. I have an abundance of eggs so will probably boil some. The kids like them for a snack. I also have dough rising for cinnamon sugar pull apart bread made from ingredients on hand. DH is making a big batch of baked ziti for dinner tonight and lunches for the week for him.

We are having a roller skating party for DD. I gave DH 3 items to list on ebay tonight which will easily cover the cost of the party.

Yesterday I used a set of pottery barn sheets and some fabric I had on hand to make lined curtains for the living room. I also made DD a headband using an old t-shirt. Plan to make more this week while she is at school for a stocking stuffer. We did buy her an American Girl from craigslist for Christmas. I will be making clothes for the doll this week with materials I have on hand. Also plan on doing some matching skirts, and pajamas for doll and DD. We have some extra pallets in the garage so I am hoping to fashion a doll bed as well with pillow, blanket and frilly bed skirt.

I listed 2 items on craiglist and have a few more to add tomorrow.
Last edited by momtoelibet on December 4th, 2011, 10:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

December 4th, 2011, 10:17 pm #10

Wow! And I know $150 in groceries from Aldi is a lot of groceries!!!!