Friday Night Ritual - Thank you Boboli!

Friday Night Ritual - Thank you Boboli!

August 1st, 2011, 4:34 pm #1

Friday nights used to be our laundry/pizza/game night - but we've not had that ritual for a LONG while. We do order pizza though, we LOVE Pizza - but the last time we ordered it (moved not too long ago) - the local place was 26.00 + tip for ONE large 3 topping pizza. Is it just me or is that crazy?

I've tried making my own crust...it really doesn't come out so great. Practice makes perfect I suppose but this weekeend I grabbed a few Boboli crusts at the market on discount - it was 5.34 for two crusts with the sauce. Thought that was a pretty good amount...2.67 per crust and I know it's going to taste good and be fine? I'm all for that - so we added chunks of tomato, garlic, basil and spinach leaves all out of the garden...and some sliced red onions and cheese. Oh man! YUMMY!!! Even with the amount of cheese we used - good stuff!! Totally satisfied our pizza craving for well under 5.00.

The moral of the story is: when completely from scratch results in waste for you (like it did for me with my unsuccessful homemade dough)...or for whatever reason you don't have the energy, don't feel guilty, it's OKAY to move up to a compromise! Very happy with this pizza, actually better in some ways and fresher tasting and saved myself about 25.00 on just that ONE pizza. :~)

August 1st, 2011, 5:13 pm #2

I make homemade dough and we have been cooking them on the
BBQ grill!! They turn out great! The house stays cool too,
no oven on. My DH thought I was weird when I said he was cooking
the pizzas on the grill. But now he loves it! lol You could use
a premade crust also. I make little personal size pizzas. Some
times DH cooks them straight on the grill ( dough on the grill )
most of the time he uses these pans I have. He said both ways
work fine.

August 1st, 2011, 5:58 pm #3

Friday nights used to be our laundry/pizza/game night - but we've not had that ritual for a LONG while. We do order pizza though, we LOVE Pizza - but the last time we ordered it (moved not too long ago) - the local place was 26.00 + tip for ONE large 3 topping pizza. Is it just me or is that crazy?

I've tried making my own crust...it really doesn't come out so great. Practice makes perfect I suppose but this weekeend I grabbed a few Boboli crusts at the market on discount - it was 5.34 for two crusts with the sauce. Thought that was a pretty good amount...2.67 per crust and I know it's going to taste good and be fine? I'm all for that - so we added chunks of tomato, garlic, basil and spinach leaves all out of the garden...and some sliced red onions and cheese. Oh man! YUMMY!!! Even with the amount of cheese we used - good stuff!! Totally satisfied our pizza craving for well under 5.00.

The moral of the story is: when completely from scratch results in waste for you (like it did for me with my unsuccessful homemade dough)...or for whatever reason you don't have the energy, don't feel guilty, it's OKAY to move up to a compromise! Very happy with this pizza, actually better in some ways and fresher tasting and saved myself about 25.00 on just that ONE pizza. :~)
I've been getting very uptight about several NOT 100% scratch things lately.... thanks for the reminder.

NOW - pizza dough - i worked in a pizza place many summers (moons and moons ago) and if I want to do scratch dough - i use the bread machine.

or i buy the pre-made dough balls in the deli section at the supermarket.

next up the compromise list is Sam's club take and bake, then our supermarket brand frozen, then a place in town for pick-up that still has $7 large plain pies, but i don't always like their pizza. they are sort of the last resort before breaking down and calling Domino's.

August 1st, 2011, 6:16 pm #4

I like to bursh Boboli crust with olive oil and top with parmesean cheese and dried rosemary, then broil.

Probably not a taste that the kiddoes would like, but I do

August 1st, 2011, 6:43 pm #5

mmmmmm....will have to try that! I've got another crust just begging for some rosemary and parmesan cheese.

I also watched a YouTube video and made some brushetta topping that I'm going to pick up a .99 baguette for tonight! Don't know how this stuff keeps in the fridge and had no idea how easy it is to make! Followed by my spinach and ricotta 1.60 Big Lots bag of Tortellini, hope it's good!

TOO MANY TOMATOES in the garden, so trying to try different things.

August 1st, 2011, 7:20 pm #6

pkg of 10 flaky refrigerator biscuits (grands works best) pull them in half so you have 20 half biscuits, lay a circle of six on a stone with sides touching, arrange the rest in a bigger circle around them. press them down a bit to flatten. Brush with olive oil, top with diced tomatoes, fresh pressed garlic, herbs of choice, (we've used oregano and chives) bake till biscuits are done, then grate fresh parmesan cheese onto it. turns out 20 little pull apart pizzas.

Very yummy and you can go as heavy or lite on the toppings as you like.

August 1st, 2011, 7:58 pm #7

I've been buying chicken nuggets lately myself. And canned chickpeas. Whodathunkit? But sometimes you don't have time for scratch, and $26 for 1 pizza??? No thank you.

August 2nd, 2011, 6:46 pm #8

and I got a recipe here, that we love........then dh discovered that Red Lobster uses a flour tortilla for their lobster pizza, which I love!

We brush the tortilla with some butter, sprinkle with roasted garlic, some tomato, basil, a few pieces of langinstano lobster (Aldi's) and a generous sprinkle of parmesean - Wonderful!

We use the tortilla for all kinds of pizza now, it's faster, easier, and probably cheaper than making crust from scratch.

glendaMO

August 3rd, 2011, 3:32 am #9

The thin, crispy crust comment sounded like Imo's. I can't remember if we talked about it before, but it seems to be a favorite of locals.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

August 3rd, 2011, 5:33 am #10

pkg of 10 flaky refrigerator biscuits (grands works best) pull them in half so you have 20 half biscuits, lay a circle of six on a stone with sides touching, arrange the rest in a bigger circle around them. press them down a bit to flatten. Brush with olive oil, top with diced tomatoes, fresh pressed garlic, herbs of choice, (we've used oregano and chives) bake till biscuits are done, then grate fresh parmesan cheese onto it. turns out 20 little pull apart pizzas.

Very yummy and you can go as heavy or lite on the toppings as you like.
Going to print these for my binder! Thank you for the ideas!