Free Kindle Book - How to Feed a Family of 4 or more for Less than $200 a Month

Free Kindle Book - How to Feed a Family of 4 or more for Less than $200 a Month

May 10th, 2012, 7:52 pm #1

Saw this posted on another site:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00710 ... B00710A0V6

It's one of the free Kindle books, so it can disappear at any time. Please post if it's worth looking at!
LisaCNC

May 11th, 2012, 12:12 am #2

...read it, and tell us what it says! I would do it but I don't have a Kindle--too cheap as long as the library is free!

May 11th, 2012, 12:35 am #3

You can download a kindle computer app, so you can download this book on to your computer if you wish....

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

May 11th, 2012, 11:42 am #4

...read it, and tell us what it says! I would do it but I don't have a Kindle--too cheap as long as the library is free!
Maxine, you can dowload the Kindle app. You don't have to have a Kindle to download and read these! FREE, Max, FREE!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

May 11th, 2012, 11:52 am #5

best part is the link to her website,http://www.budget101.com

happy surfing!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

May 11th, 2012, 1:30 pm #6

So far I haven't seen anything that people here don't routinely do. Maybe those of us who read it can give a brief summary for the rest? I will add that it was written in 2001 and prices have skyrocketed since then. In Ch 2 she says to buy meat in bulk for as low as $.29 per pound. I seriously doubt that is possible today.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

May 11th, 2012, 1:35 pm #7

2001??? I was wondering how she did it considering my grocery budget for one is $160/month (and I don't always stick to that!)
LisaCNC

May 11th, 2012, 4:00 pm #8

So far I haven't seen anything that people here don't routinely do. Maybe those of us who read it can give a brief summary for the rest? I will add that it was written in 2001 and prices have skyrocketed since then. In Ch 2 she says to buy meat in bulk for as low as $.29 per pound. I seriously doubt that is possible today.

------
"In the event that you have a hunter in the family, you will have the treat of very inexpensive meat,"

Dh is a hunter, but it is not inexpensive. I guess if we knew a local rancher with a lot of land who would let him hunt, it would be. We had to get out of debt and get some money saved before we could afford to let dh hunt, with the cost of a lease and travel. My family owns land but it is 8 hours away, and even though there is deer, quail, and dove there, the gas, shells, motel, processing, and even the gun costs add up. The only way the meat is inexpensive is when dh doesn't want the meat and offers it to a friend for the cost of processing. Then, the friend gets inexpensive meat.

------

May 11th, 2012, 4:04 pm #9

...the pickup and gun rack, LOL.

May 11th, 2012, 5:10 pm #10

------
Maxine talks about getting the most from your shopping buck, and we've talked about shopping loss leaders before too, but the book has a simple way of figuring the amount spent on meat and loss leaders. I'm converting it to percentages so it makes sense for any budget.

15% for bulk meat
25% for loss leaders
60% for the remainder of the grocery shopping

Her Chapter 4 is set up like a Q&A and the question is whether anything other than food is in her $200 (cleaning supplies, eating out, etc). She never really answers that, but I am going to guess no. She said she uses vinegar, borax, and baking soda for cleaning, so I assume those ARE part of the $200 since they are also used for cooking, except the borax. But maybe not on the borax. Can't tell.

------