Fix a DVD?

Fix a DVD?

June 17th, 2012, 3:30 am #1

I don't own many DVDs and haven't had a problem with the ones I have rented. However, there is a lot of pixeling (if that's a word) on one of the episodes of Doc Martin, which I bought used. I would rather fix it than return it, since it is one out of 9 disks. Can you clean them, similar to CDs, and if so--how? Thanks!

June 17th, 2012, 6:03 am #2

Clean them with windex and a soft cloth. If that doesn't work you might be able to find a place that sells used CDs that would be willing to buff them for you.

June 18th, 2012, 7:34 am #3

I don't own many DVDs and haven't had a problem with the ones I have rented. However, there is a lot of pixeling (if that's a word) on one of the episodes of Doc Martin, which I bought used. I would rather fix it than return it, since it is one out of 9 disks. Can you clean them, similar to CDs, and if so--how? Thanks!
rub the disk in a circle. You are supossed to start at the center and go
out to the edge. Clear as mud? lol

If you have a disk that is real bad y.ou can take it to Play and Trade and they
have a machine that can fix it. I would only take it there if it had scratches
on the disk. They usually do it for free. Sometimes they charge you a small amount.

Jodi

June 18th, 2012, 11:51 am #4

Dh had a kit that was two kinds of towelettes. First you used one and then the other. As Jodi said, rubbing from the center out to the edge over and over. Not back and forth and not in circles or with the grooves of the disc. It worked well on a couple that had minor scratches, but not on one that had a pretty severe scratch. It did lessen the area that didn't work, but didn't fix it completely. I think it was Fellowes brand and in a quick search it looks like it isn't sold anymore.

I just discovered that Doc Martin is on one of my PBS stations but I don't know where in the series they are so I haven't watched. I'd like to watch from the beginning but my tiny library doesn't carry the series. Where did you buy yours?

June 18th, 2012, 2:01 pm #5

It's called a skip doctor. You put the disc in and it spins like a salad spinner and removes a layer of the actual disc, smoothing out the ruts that distort the laser from reding it properly. You can use it on the same disc a few times before you're removing actual digital info.

ask around amongst the neighbors etc if anyone has one.

June 18th, 2012, 9:28 pm #6

Dh had a kit that was two kinds of towelettes. First you used one and then the other. As Jodi said, rubbing from the center out to the edge over and over. Not back and forth and not in circles or with the grooves of the disc. It worked well on a couple that had minor scratches, but not on one that had a pretty severe scratch. It did lessen the area that didn't work, but didn't fix it completely. I think it was Fellowes brand and in a quick search it looks like it isn't sold anymore.

I just discovered that Doc Martin is on one of my PBS stations but I don't know where in the series they are so I haven't watched. I'd like to watch from the beginning but my tiny library doesn't carry the series. Where did you buy yours?
I got the first 4 seasons for $51.

June 18th, 2012, 9:29 pm #7

It's called a skip doctor. You put the disc in and it spins like a salad spinner and removes a layer of the actual disc, smoothing out the ruts that distort the laser from reding it properly. You can use it on the same disc a few times before you're removing actual digital info.

ask around amongst the neighbors etc if anyone has one.
...for CDs. Can I use it on DVDs, too?

June 19th, 2012, 12:00 am #8

And it seems there was some kind of adjustment I made on the video player to straighten it out. Sorry, it's been a long time since I've even played a DVD.

------
The road to success is always under construction.