FINALLY got the checkbook to balance

FINALLY got the checkbook to balance

June 29th, 2012, 3:34 pm #1

Buggar took me several hours! Turns out we rented a Redbox movie on a Friday. Wrote it in the book: $1.28. Looked at the account online on the weekend, saw the amount, checked it off in my register. A couple of weeks later, I went through and added in all the debit card entries (yes, you read that right. yes I know, bad, bad, bad.) Anyway, there was a Redbox debit of $2-something for three days after that one I checked off. We regularly rent Redbox movies, more than one at a time, so I didn't think anything of it and just added it in. Well, finally figured out today that we had kept that one movie for two nights. The posting I checked off in my register was a weekend "pending" post, so when Monday came around, the actual charge was the $2-something, not the $1-something I had entered.

And of course, this was all at the beginning of the month, so there were tons of entries to go through, again, and again, and again.... Oh, also, that weekend was the switchover between statement periods. So the $1 something had actually fallen during the previous statement period, which is why I didn't catch it earlier in the month.

Been a frustrating month of not being able to figure out the mistake!

Whew! I am SO GLAD I am going back to a cash/envelope system!

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

June 29th, 2012, 6:38 pm #2

Bethann, the cash envelope system is the best. I just do not feel comfortable doing it where we live now. Flimsy locks and doors since it is not a stick built house and right near four bus stops. Please don't get angry with me for this, but I have seen some of the people that ride the bus and well... We also hear lots of gunshots at night.

I do, miss the envelope system though. I think that it will help you very much.

2catsmom

July 2nd, 2012, 12:06 pm #3

I don't like having that much cash on hand. I am always really nervous when I go into the bank and take out SO MUCH money in cash! I always think people/cops would think I was a drug dealer if they found me with all that cash!

Haven't done it yet. Still using the debit card. Trying to just not spend.

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33

July 2nd, 2012, 1:24 pm #4

I did it for awhile. You have the envelopes and list a starting balance on the outside. Use your debit card, check, credit card to pay. Put the receipt inside the the proper envelope and deduct the amount from the balance outside. It only works if you don't let the receipts build up w/o updating the balance.
LisaCNC

July 2nd, 2012, 5:54 pm #5

Organization of lack of may I say and paper trails are the two things that haunt me. I haven't mastered them yet.

2catsmom

July 2nd, 2012, 6:13 pm #6

Well, lack of organization and chronic procrastination.

I'd start out all good at the beginnin gof the month, logging everything and keeping a running balance. By the third week, I'd have 2 weeks' worth of receipts to post and be almost out of moeny in categories for the rest of the month! Then I robbed one category to cover another, and it caused too much stress and feelings of failure.

But, if you don't have those problems, it can be a great compromise system.
LisaCNC