February 14th...just another day or something special?

February 14th...just another day or something special?

February 13th, 2011, 2:19 am #1

Just curious as to how you celebrate or don't celebrate Valentine's day. For us it is usually just another day. I would be pleasantly surprised if Dh acknowledged its existence.

February 13th, 2011, 2:24 am #2

We go out to dinner but usually not on the "day"

" life isnt about waiting for the storms to pass, its about learning to dance in the rain."

February 13th, 2011, 2:32 am #3

Just curious as to how you celebrate or don't celebrate Valentine's day. For us it is usually just another day. I would be pleasantly surprised if Dh acknowledged its existence.
for me it has always been just another day. Even when I was with my ex, I figure if you can't show me you LOVE me on 364 other days, dont try it on this ONE!! LOL Wow me all year long with little / meaningful things. The one thing that bugs me is commercials that drill expectations into younger kids like if you dont get something from the jewelry store for V day you aren't up to standards....ya know. When did things that are made with love become not good enough? ok my rant is over..lol

Faith, Hope and Love, the greatest of these is LOVE.
Tracy
Some people feel the rain. Others just get wet. ~ Bob Marley

February 13th, 2011, 2:53 am #4

I had a lot of unrealistic expectations. My DH would have completely ignored the day, except that we usually got into a big fight over it. I used to work with women who got wonderful V-day gifts at work (their husbands were obviously better trained than mine) and it hurt a lot. I was very insecure. I still think he should have given me some special attention because he knew I cared. However, that was then...this is now. I always give my children heart-shaped boxes of Russell Stover candy. I give him a card as well, but I no longer care about the gifts, cards, etc. However, now he usually buys me flowers. 'Course he waits so long to do it that I get a bunch of bright yellow and purple mums, because that's all that's left....

February 13th, 2011, 3:07 am #5

The media is great about building up expectations, that no one can deliver. Seriously, all jewelry store ads show 3 carat diamond gifts, and the florist advertise 200 roses, and we've seen vacation destination Valentines Day ads - how realistic is that 6 weeks after Christmas, and just before Tax day?

We might get a card for one another, but I doubt that, we picked and shared cards at the store one day last week, and had some good laughs - and I don't feel any need to purchase one. As we wait for winter to go away, and spring to begin, we've had fresh flowers in a vase for several years, but we won't be buying them at the prices we'll see early next week!

We tend to celebrate our love year round, with little things. One day a couple weeks ago, dh suprised me at work, by showing up at the end of my shift, with a fresh change of clothes and took me to dinner and a movie. We hadn't seen a movie at the theater in several years.

Monday will pass, I've got Valentine gifts of conversation hearts for the granddaughters - and I might make cookies - but there will be no diamonds, flowers, or destination vacations Monday.
glendaMO

February 13th, 2011, 3:33 am #6

No cards, no candy, no flowers, no going out to eat--and that's just the way I like it (seriously). I've just never been into the romantic notions of one day, i.e. Feb. 14. We give the children little gifts, but that's about the extent of it. I honestly don't think that DH and I used to go out to eat to celebrate Valentine's Day even when we were dating, as I never wanted to fight the crowds.

February 13th, 2011, 8:41 am #7

Big doins' for me as I love this holiday. I have always like it since we made those decorated sacks in grade school. Those were even better than the cards that we put inside of them.

Tomorrow, my name changes to "Valentina"! There is no saint's day named Sharon on the calendar here so an elderly man named Valentino shares his name with me every Feb14th. Tomorrow, I will make raspberry cheese filled french toast with a smidgen of whipped cream on top to start the day with my V guy! He says we are going out to lunch... My big thing is making valentine shortbread cookies to give to the ladies who have shops in town. I do this every year. All the pizza places will be making heart shaped pizzas. No big money stuff but this is a nice holiday to brighten up winter blues!

February 13th, 2011, 2:08 pm #8

RECIPE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

(Have a fantastic day, Valentino!)

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers

February 13th, 2011, 2:13 pm #9

Dh always buys a box of the cello chocolate covered cherries and we both enjoy them (along with the kids and grands) but other than that, I usually spend the day with 15 third graders and we exchange Valentines and share a little snack. My DD called Valentine's Day single awarness day.

http://gigisdarlings.blogspot.com/

February 13th, 2011, 4:43 pm #10

RECIPE PLEASE!!!!!!!!!

(Have a fantastic day, Valentino!)

Blessings,

Bethann
Matthew 6:33
http://gettingtheresimply.blogspot.com/

"Live in such a way that you would not be ashamed to sell your parrot to the town gossip." --Will Rogers
Sounds like you have a very fun filled Valentina's day planned to me.

I have tried to make shortbread cookies for years, and they are never as yummy as I anticipate.

Can you share the shortbread cookie recipe - and some tips for me? Thanks!
glendaMO