Extreme Couponing - have you seen this show?

Extreme Couponing - have you seen this show?

April 21st, 2011, 5:07 am #1

I have watched a couple of them. To me most of the people seem
like they have a form of hoarding going on. Most of them kept
all the food and non-food items they got for free. They showed
rooms with HUNDREDS of toothpastes, shaving creams, toothbrushes,
hand soaps, ect... It seems like a huge waste of all the products.
I am just imagining all that food and non-food items going bad before
they can even use them. Another thing I noticed was that all but one
of four shoppers I saw were very over weight. One guy bought 1,000
boxes of Total cereal for $150! Which is pretty amazing. He kept
some but donated some to the food bank. He was the only one that
talked about donating their excess items.

To me the show just seemed like gross excess. I found it sad too.
Most of the people seemed like hoarders.

Have you seen it? What do you think? Maybe I am just over analyzing
it? I did think it was kind of cool how they got so much for free.

Jodi

April 21st, 2011, 5:35 pm #2

Not the first time, either. I don't watch, but I've been reading a thread on another board about it. Here's a link to a blog that was posted in that thread:http://www.jillcataldo.com/node/16258

The jist of it was the lady knows how to decode UPC codes to where you can use a coupon on a product other than what is listed on the coupon. One instance shown in the blog was she had coupons for Fiber One cereal, but she was able to use them for Honey Nut Cheerios, Lucky Charms and Kix.
LisaCNC

April 21st, 2011, 6:14 pm #3

I don't coupon much but I do remember once or twice when I had a coupon and thought I had the right product, but it scanned as a different one - I think it was cat food and the coupon was for Indoor and I bought regular. They were the same price, but the coupon wasn't accepted.

Maybe if I had tons of stuff and handed the coupons over at the end, but I usually put the coupon on top of the item on the conveyer belt so they are scanned one after the other.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

April 21st, 2011, 6:31 pm #4

Sorry for the caps! Anyway, the blogger didn't wnat to come right out and say how because she didn't want to get in trouble herself, but it has to do w/ certain numbers in the UPC triggering the register that the coupon is acceptable. She also says there's some kind of fix rolling out so you won't be able to do this in the future.
LisaCNC

April 21st, 2011, 9:10 pm #5

How sleazy. How would the cashier allow that? Just not paying attention or what?

April 21st, 2011, 11:26 pm #6

I've seen the show and followed a few blogs on it. Hoarding.Not enough donated. As far as the cpns ringing up, I shopped today. Cashier hands me back a cpn for Lipton tea (50 cents) to be doubled to an extra 49 as the box of tea bags cost 99. I got it, see the box? (i show her the tea). Ok, but too many cpns applied meaning a cpn already was used towards the Lipton tea. Did you already use a lipton cpn? No, I bought 3 boxes of tea (show her). 2 are Stash, I have 2 Stash cpns. 1 is Lipton, I have one Lipton cpn. OK, she manually enters the 50cent cpn twice. Ok they give me a penny which they aren't supposed to do. I later check the receipt. My 35 cent cpn for Rediwhip went towards the Lipton-it shows up right under the item on the receipt:

Lipton tea 99
manu cpn 35
double cpn 35

Nothing shows under the reddi whip on the receipt.

I wasn't trying to get away with anything like the coupon hoarders. I had a legal cpn used on the item specified and nicely insisted that I had made the correct transaction, and got my credit. Bottom line for me is that I got the correct amount credited to my receipt.

April 22nd, 2011, 12:13 pm #7

Not the first time, either. I don't watch, but I've been reading a thread on another board about it. Here's a link to a blog that was posted in that thread:http://www.jillcataldo.com/node/16258

The jist of it was the lady knows how to decode UPC codes to where you can use a coupon on a product other than what is listed on the coupon. One instance shown in the blog was she had coupons for Fiber One cereal, but she was able to use them for Honey Nut Cheerios, Lucky Charms and Kix.
thanks for sharing!

April 22nd, 2011, 2:03 pm #8

Jodi
and I couldn't figure out how they did or why they would want to, either. Sometimes I get really good coupons from the manufacturer and I buy ONE of their product. For example I bought Irish Spring body wash for the boys. It was $1.50 off and on sale so it was about half the regular price. I'm pretty happy with that. If everyone was able to get everything for free the store would go out of business, right?

I read the blog and a lot of the comments. I agree that sometimes there is a loophole and you can get a product or two for a good deal or a REALLY good deal. That doesn't mean you can get a cartful of that thing? Am I making sense?

Now, that said- when the store is getting rid of something and a product is being sold at 75-90% off AND I can eat it - I will buy it. Sometimes a lot of it. I did buy a years worth of salad dressing one time because it was 20 cents a bottle.

April 22nd, 2011, 2:11 pm #9

Jodi
Why does the register always lock at $1,000 or $1,200? I have NEVER seen that happen in real life. People buy that amount of groceries all the time, here. Last month, one 15% off day, there was a new cashier... She commented on the amount of breakfast food we were buying and asked if we have a B&B. Sigh... no...

April 22nd, 2011, 3:14 pm #10

nt