earn more money ala ramsey/ YMOYL

earn more money ala ramsey/ YMOYL

January 31st, 2012, 2:55 pm #1

lets get a talk about this going. I know it has been a bit of a hot button topic, so level heads please.

some of us, (not really me these days) has their spending REALLY down to the bare bones for a decent life.

at a certain point, both dave ramsey and the your money or your life books encourage us to look at what we can do to increase income if it isn't working what we have going.

I read the board regularly, I know there are some of us out there who don't feel they have the options to increase income.

but lets look anyway.

two types of ideas-- one is small job, small increase. ie: paper route in AM before other work, or a two evening a week at the front desk of the motel. these kinds of jobs could bring in $400 per month or so if there isn't a big tax consequence. that is $5,000 a year (I have done these when ds was little).

second idea-- go back to school or some sort of voc. training to get skills to get a better job. know many here have and are doing this.

other ideas? level headed thoughts?

karen

January 31st, 2012, 3:04 pm #2

Our garage is actually a large, old carriage barn. We looked at advertising it for storage in the past.

We were also successful advertising "a man, a truck and a dolly" on craiglist. DH has a small truck and a dolly. He also works for Cornell University. We were successful earning extra income this way. DH could move larger items for students who didn't want to rent a u haul. Customers were aware that DH could only do this after work hours and they often tipped him.

I do think your options are highly dependent on your location.

January 31st, 2012, 3:42 pm #3

lets get a talk about this going. I know it has been a bit of a hot button topic, so level heads please.

some of us, (not really me these days) has their spending REALLY down to the bare bones for a decent life.

at a certain point, both dave ramsey and the your money or your life books encourage us to look at what we can do to increase income if it isn't working what we have going.

I read the board regularly, I know there are some of us out there who don't feel they have the options to increase income.

but lets look anyway.

two types of ideas-- one is small job, small increase. ie: paper route in AM before other work, or a two evening a week at the front desk of the motel. these kinds of jobs could bring in $400 per month or so if there isn't a big tax consequence. that is $5,000 a year (I have done these when ds was little).

second idea-- go back to school or some sort of voc. training to get skills to get a better job. know many here have and are doing this.

karen
That old carriage house/barn sounds like a few places here. Instead of using it for storage, a few have opted to clean them up, but keep them very rustic, open walls, and ceiling joist, often with old farm implements still hanging on the walls, or incorporated into the overall decor, and host weddings, graduation parties, fundraisers, etc in the space.

My oldest dd is paid by her co-workers to bake a cake for everyone's birthday in her department. She enjoys baking, and does a good job, they take up a collection which has always been at least $30 for the cake. She does this 2-3 times a month. She's considering offering her services to the rest of the office building (each floor consist of a department). In the past, someone would often run out to the store at the last minute, and spend more.

Pizza delivery/newspaper delivery are the 2 Ramsey suggest - but how about flower delivery - it's almost Valentines, and both Valentines and Mother's day require lots of deliveries, let your local florist know you're interested.

I use to be the 'sample girl' at the local grocery store, it wasn't consistent work, but I could work a couple days a month, and make some extra money.

I'm looking now, to find someone to cater a BBQ reception for my granddaughters wedding. They're planning a party, and would like burgers/dogs/chicken on the grill. We have family who can do it, (and likely will) but if I could find someone I trust not to burn the burgers, I'd be willing to pay a $$ for the help.

I find the easiest way for me to personally make a few extra dollars is to be flexible, and sign up for an extra shift at work - I don't like working in different departments, or different hours, but I can do it if need be.
glendaMO

January 31st, 2012, 4:06 pm #4

I didn't think you had one old enough.

Renting out the carriage shed is a good idea, but there are some expenses with it. I knew a lady who did that with their barn, and they had to provide bathrooms. They opted to have a porta potty built on a trailer. They also had to have insurance, and of course, parking.

------
The road to success is always under construction.

January 31st, 2012, 4:20 pm #5

but lets look anyway.

karen
Dh and I are adding more spaces to our little rv park. We have six spaces and are adding twelve more. We hired septic done and Dh and sons will do electric and water. We are waiting for electric co to put in new service, which should be next week. Once we get the twelve more added, we are going to start a laundry service. By doing pay as we go, we aren't building debt and won't have to jump off any tall buildings! We are hoping between oilfield, pipeline and wind generators crews, we will be able to keep it going for awhile. Right now we could have the twelve new spaces rented if we had them built!

January 31st, 2012, 4:46 pm #6

but lets look anyway.

karen
Like that Learning tower. Next I have to list the Fiestaware dishes (brand new) and those Hanna Anderson playdresses (2 sets). I have cut all my spending to the bone, am renting out my basement and am making due with that plus unemplyment and CS/SS. For right now it beats paying out $150 a week for 1/2 day day care while having a child in Kindergarten.

January 31st, 2012, 5:37 pm #7

Dh and I are adding more spaces to our little rv park. We have six spaces and are adding twelve more. We hired septic done and Dh and sons will do electric and water. We are waiting for electric co to put in new service, which should be next week. Once we get the twelve more added, we are going to start a laundry service. By doing pay as we go, we aren't building debt and won't have to jump off any tall buildings! We are hoping between oilfield, pipeline and wind generators crews, we will be able to keep it going for awhile. Right now we could have the twelve new spaces rented if we had them built!
How great does it feel to say that again???? Hope the wedding ths past weekend went great!
LisaCNC

January 31st, 2012, 5:52 pm #8

I didn't think you had one old enough.

Renting out the carriage shed is a good idea, but there are some expenses with it. I knew a lady who did that with their barn, and they had to provide bathrooms. They opted to have a porta potty built on a trailer. They also had to have insurance, and of course, parking.

------
The road to success is always under construction.
It's my daughter who's getting married.
glendaMO

January 31st, 2012, 5:55 pm #9

Like that Learning tower. Next I have to list the Fiestaware dishes (brand new) and those Hanna Anderson playdresses (2 sets). I have cut all my spending to the bone, am renting out my basement and am making due with that plus unemplyment and CS/SS. For right now it beats paying out $150 a week for 1/2 day day care while having a child in Kindergarten.
email me, with pic's if you have them of your Fiesta ware, and the Hannah anderson clothes - what size are they?

I might be interested, depending on what you have, and sizes.

dandg handley at gmail dot com
glendaMO

January 31st, 2012, 5:57 pm #10

I don't know if I still have your address... let me look....