Does heat ever cause cats to lose hair in patches?

Does heat ever cause cats to lose hair in patches?

June 11th, 2011, 1:45 am #1

I looked up mange and it doesn't seem to be that. No red or crusty patches, just bald spots kind of between his shoulder blades. I don't use flea medication on him, but I have rubbed DE into his fur, but all over him, not just there.

He has been scratching a lot, but he won't let me examine him for fleas. There is almost no chance of me getting him to a vet until at least Tuesday of next week if the vet will give me a sedative again, and if the cat will eat whatever I mix it with.

Dh doesn't think it's anything, but I'm not so sure. He has always had one bald spot right there. I figured it was from a fight where another cat took a big hunk of skin & hair. But now there are several spots. Nothing around his ears, nose, or head.

Any ideas?

------
The road to success is always under construction.

June 11th, 2011, 1:59 am #2

Does he lick or chew at himself in the same places a lot? Some cats do it at first out of stress and then out of habit. We had one cat that used to chew a spot on her leg and the vet thought it might she might have arthritis there.

Otherwise, I would have guessed mites of some kind.

We have two cats and the younger one starts fights to get attention from the older cat. Sometimes the older one gets carried away and bites pretty hard on the ears, then the younger one loses hair on that spot for awhile until it heals and grows back.

June 11th, 2011, 3:17 am #3

but he can't reach this spot between his shoulder blades. I've noticed him licking himself a lot lately. When he first started hanging around, he was always dirty and never seemed to groom himself, so I thought he had finally started taking care of his fur. But maybe not.

He has nothing to be stressed about other than trying to find a cool place to sleep all day. lol I let him in the garage which is fairly cool and open a door on each end so there is a breeze across his bed.

------

June 11th, 2011, 3:53 pm #4

I looked up mange and it doesn't seem to be that. No red or crusty patches, just bald spots kind of between his shoulder blades. I don't use flea medication on him, but I have rubbed DE into his fur, but all over him, not just there.

He has been scratching a lot, but he won't let me examine him for fleas. There is almost no chance of me getting him to a vet until at least Tuesday of next week if the vet will give me a sedative again, and if the cat will eat whatever I mix it with.

Dh doesn't think it's anything, but I'm not so sure. He has always had one bald spot right there. I figured it was from a fight where another cat took a big hunk of skin & hair. But now there are several spots. Nothing around his ears, nose, or head.

Any ideas?

------
that causes hair loss, no clue if that could be it of course. they will lick a lot. caused by stress (and it can be of a form we can not imagine) and fleas. And some are just inclined to it. Have had two like that. One mild, one really bad! Vet is safest bet. Live trap work?

Myra in West Texas

June 11th, 2011, 8:45 pm #5

I'll stuff his pillow in a carrier and see if I can get him in it.

------

June 11th, 2011, 10:08 pm #6

Put the carrier in an area where he will see it and get used to it. We had one cat who would sleep in her carrier when we left it out and she had a chance to get used to it. It may not work, but worth a try. Otherwise, we'd sneak the carrier in the bathroom while the cats were on the other side of the house, shut the door, then go find the cats and shut them in the bathroom with us while we manhandled them in.

June 12th, 2011, 12:53 am #7

I'll have to get one.

------

June 15th, 2011, 8:43 pm #8

Any ideas?

------
I put up some chicken wire fencing from the house to the garage to keep out neighborhood dogs. The cat found a place where the wire bows out and he can squeeze through. First he puts his head through, then front paws & shoulders, rocks back & forth and then jumps through the gap. I think he is shaving the hair off with the fence. The only way to find out for sure will be to close the gap in the fence.

Once we breathed a sigh of relief over that, this morning he sneezed and then acted like he was choking. His new favorite sleeping place is under dh's table saw in a pile of sawdust, and I hope that's all it is.

Boy, cat's are a lot of trouble!

------

June 16th, 2011, 12:30 am #9

i've also seen cats react to cat food and itch and keep licking their skin.

June 16th, 2011, 1:18 am #10

I haven't changed anything since I first started feeding him.

Yes, cats are pretty cool, and this one has plenty of personality. Dogs are problems too, and for that matter so are kids until they can talk and tell you where it hurts.

------